Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Tony Dungy Stepping Down!

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    He's doing better yes i agree, but again look at what offensive players there were.
    Brad Johnson?! I can't name 2 receivers.. Koren and Twill perhaps.

Zygi should have hired a GM.. but still there's no way Tomlin would have been our HC after that season
    Haha... so he was good enough for the Steelers but not for the Vikings?

He has a better winning % than Childress because he was/isn't good?

I know more people than just me were wishing we had kept Tomlin as our Coach and gotten rid of Childress that year... I don't think you're "no way Tomlin would be our HC" holds any water...

Career Records:

Tomlin - 23-11
    Childress - 24-25
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"C" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    He's doing better yes i agree, but again look at what offensive players there were.
    Brad Johnson?! I can't name 2 receivers.. Koren and Twill perhaps.

Zygi should have hired a GM.. but still there's no way Tomlin would have been our HC after that season
    Haha... so he was good enough for the Steelers but not for the Vikings?

He has a better winning % than Childress because he was/isn't good?

I know more people than just me were wishing we had kept Tomlin as our Coach and gotten rid of Childress that year... I don't think you're "no way Tomlin would be our HC" holds any water...

Career Records:

Tomlin - 23-11
    Childress - 24-25
    Who gives their HC who has signed a 5 year offer only one year to prove himself?
    The people who - like you - wanted to fire Childress after that year probably just were looking for instant success...

Never did i say he wasn't good i'm just saying there's no chance he would still be on our staff the next season.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    Who gives their HC who has signed a 5 year offer only one year to prove himself?
    The people who - like you - wanted to fire Childress after that year probably just were looking for instant success...

Never did i say he wasn't good i'm just saying there's no chance he would still me on our staff the next season.
    I agree, we probably should have never hired Childress as HC to begin with... and he was already under contract at that point. Sucks to look back, but it's the truth. It's just like when we let Dungy go.

This is just me venting (most are from this year... and there's 2 more years that could be added):

All he's done is win the second weakest division in the NFL and lost in the playoffs to a team that tied the Bengals.

Adrian Peterson actually had to yell at him to get him to grow a sack and go for it on 4th down.

He was unaware that punting the ball with 2 minutes left and no timeouts would not allow the Vikings to get the ball back, although he said after the game, "I thought our defense was playing well enough to get the ball back..."

He makes asinine challenges, like the catch in the Giants game that happened right in front of his face... the commentators didn't even really know what he was trying to challenge. It did not get overturned.

Awful clock manager... that's all that has to be said.

He's condescending to the media, while quoting something that he has no idea about... even saying the wrong author's name. I'm not a fan of the media, but most them are smarter than he is and laughing at him under their breath... and it's not because of his emotional outburst (ala... Denny Green or Jim Mora).... it's because of his stupidity.

I'm going to bed so i'll comment later, just got one little thing to add:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7-74/Behind-the-numbers--Coaches--challenge.html

Childress is 5/11 in challenges. tied for 3rd most red flags thrown. I can't say anything bad about that. It's better to challenge and be upheldd than don't challenge where it could have been reversed

12th best ain't bad.

The comparison of Dungy to Tomlin is a pretty good one.

Both came in with a new head coach and quickly established themselves in the eyes of the fans, the press, and other owners as superior coaching candidates.
    In both cases, the head coach was in the middle of a contract, and probably hadn't messed up badly enough to deserve being canned when the assistant left.

Nonetheless, firing Green and giving Dungy a promotion probably would have been the right thing to do.
    The same is likely true of Childress and Tomlin.
    It would have been a very difficult move to make as mentioned in some posts above, but probably the right one for the franchise.

Both times the Vikings took the safe route and watched an excellent coach leave in order to give the current guy a 'fair chance.'
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Mr-holland" wrote:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-7-74/Behind-the-numbers--Coaches--challenge.html

Childress is 5/11 in challenges. tied for 3rd most red flags thrown. I can't say anything bad about that. It's better to challenge and be upheldd than don't challenge where it could have been reversed

12th best ain't bad.
    If you settle for 12th place, that's your own issue.

BTW... Tomlin is #1 in challenges... with 100% being overturned.

Just an FYI.

"Overlord" wrote:

Both came in with a new head coach and quickly established themselves in the eyes of the fans, the press, and other owners as superior coaching candidates.
    In both cases, the head coach was in the middle of a contract, and probably hadn't messed up badly enough to deserve being canned when the assistant left.

Nonetheless, firing Green and giving Dungy a promotion probably would have been the right thing to do.
    It would have been a very difficult move to make as mentioned in some posts above, but probably the right one for the franchise.

Both times the Vikings took the safe route and watched an excellent coach leave in order to give the current guy a 'fair chance.'
    I think me and C mac both agree on this post. +1

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

I think me and C mac both agree on this post. +1
    +1... sad but true.

"C" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:

12th best ain't bad.

Just an FYI.
    With only 4 challenges. How many did he miss that could have been reversed? Is it about the percentages or is it about trying to overturn the calls.

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:

12th best ain't bad.

Just an FYI.
    With only 4 challenges. How many did he miss that could have been reversed? Is it about the percentages or is it about trying to overturn the calls.
    So what?

Childress only had 5 reversed... with 6 upheld.

That means 6 wasted TO's.

Tomlin is efficient with his challenges.

Childress is an idiot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast