Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Tom Brady trade bait?

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Nice post however I think your missing the big point...
    There are no elite QBs available, therefore we are forced to hope for a game manager at best.
    We can spend the next 5 years spending our 1st round pick on a QB and still not find that "elite" QB.
    They are hard to come by.

Of course we all want one, it's just not as simple as your making it sound.
    My guess is that is not entirely true that there aren't any elite QB's out there. If you look at the current NFL QB's, how many were guaranteed to be elite before they took the field?

Brady was a backup nobody wanted
    Romo was a never heard of
    Big Ben was the third QB taken in his draft
    Farve came to the Packers for a draft pick from Atlanta, who didn't see the talent in him.

I really think there is talent out there that can be found without breaking the bank. Heck, we may have a few guys on our squad who may become one if they are put in the right situation and get the right coaching. I am just not convinced that we have the skill at personnel to realize that talent or the coaching to develop it and create an offense that can both capitalize on that players strength while not asking them to do things they are not able to do well.
    Big Ben was hardly a hidden gem, the guy was picked I think 11th overall.
    WADR, Big Ben has not been playing well lately.
    Big Ben has an aweful front line that can't protect him worth crap.
    Its a credit to him as to why this team is 10-3 with the time he has to throw the ball.
    Yes, I realize his line is not playing well, but clearly, the reason the Steelers are 10-3 is due to the #1 "D" in almost every single category.
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikeman" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=49220.msg876982#msg876982 date=1228924486]

There are no elite QBs available, therefore we are forced to hope for a game manager at best.
    We can spend the next 5 years spending our 1st round pick on a QB and still not find that "elite" QB.

My guess is that is not entirely true that there aren't any elite QB's out there. If you look at the current NFL QB's, how many were guaranteed to be elite before they took the field?

Farve came to the Packers for a draft pick from Atlanta, who didn't see the talent in him.

I really think there is talent out there that can be found without breaking the bank. Heck, we may have a few guys on our squad who may become one if they are put in the right situation and get the right coaching. I am just not convinced that we have the skill at personnel to realize that talent or the coaching to develop it and create an offense that can both capitalize on that players strength while not asking them to do things they are not able to do well.
    WADR, Big Ben has not been playing well lately.
    Big Ben has an aweful front line that can't protect him worth crap.
    Its a credit to him as to why this team is 10-3 with the time he has to throw the ball.
    Yes, I realize his line is not playing well, but clearly, the reason the Steelers are 10-3 is due to the #1 "D" in almost every single category.
    [/quote]

Very good point.
    Their D has been awesome.
    But you have to give Ben credit.
    After all he is getting the job done even though he is getting kncocked on his ass several times a game.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

That is true. He was picked high, but he was the 3rd QB taken and the whole Eli/Rivers thing totally overshadowed him. There was just not a lot of hype about him coming out of college and that was my point. Unless you can find me supporting articles where he was tabbed as elite coming out of college.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

That is true. He was picked high, but he was the 3rd QB taken and the whole Eli/Rivers thing totally overshadowed him. There was just not a lot of hype about him coming out of college and that was my point. Unless you can find me supporting articles where he was tabbed as elite coming out of college.
    He was a top 15 draft pick, that isn't enough to tab him as elite?

Why find articles when the facts are right in front of you?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

If memory servers, he was ranked in the top 10 (All prospects) of almost every site that does that stuff and was top 5 in the QB rankings by those same sites.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

OK for sake of argument scratch him and insert Kurt Warner.

Happy now?

Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Good point

I guess that means that Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Alex Smith and Ryan Leaf are all elite QB's.
    Thanks for making the point.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=49220.msg876982#msg876982 date=1228924486]

Good point

I guess that means that Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Alex Smith and Ryan Leaf are all elite QB's.
    Thanks for making the point.
    [/quote]

They were touted as such when coming out of college yes. That is why they are now labeled as busts.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

OK for sake of argument scratch him and insert Kurt Warner.

Happy now?
    [/quote]

Yes.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213