Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

TMQ's 2007 mocking of mock drafts

By Gregg Easterbrook
    Special to Page 2
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: TMQ's 2007 mocking of mock drafts

Great stuff
    ;D

Classified Pentagon technology is involved.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    By Gregg Easterbrook
    Special to Page 2
    I hope people actually bother to read this.
    Sometimes TMQ gets a little full of himself and his intellect, but he does have some great points about football, especially blitzing.
    This is a nice one, too, concerning the upcoming draft:

Law of Quarterback Talent note: JaMarcus Russell totally outperformend Brady Quinn in their bowl meeting, leading conventional wisdom instantly to transfer the expected No. 1 crown from Quinn to Russell. Maybe Russell will be the better pro; I have no idea. (And, bear in mind, neither does anyone else.) But during the Sugar Bowl, I was counting "one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three, one-thousand four" as Russell stood upright like a statute and calmly scanned the field for receivers. When Notre Dame snapped the ball, Quinn rarely had two seconds before he was hit or forced to scramble. All quarterbacks suddenly become more talented when the pass blocking is good! The LSU offensive line provided great pass blocking in the Sugar Bowl, while Quinn spent much of his final two collegiate contests, against USC and LSU, scrambling to his right. Suppose Russell finds himself at Oakland behind a gawd-awful line that last year surrendered 72 sacks, while Quinn lands with a team with good pass protection. Sports pundits may profess amazement that Quinn has suddenly become more talented while Russell has suddenly lost his talent!
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    By Gregg Easterbrook
    Special to Page 2
    I hope people actually bother to read this.
    Sometimes TMQ gets a little full of himself and his intellect, but he does have some great points about football, especially blitzing.
    This is a nice one, too, concerning the upcoming draft:
    And this bit, about building via the draft, should be tatooed to a few posters' heads.

Free Agency Isn't Free: For all the hoopla over this winter's free-agent signings, consider: How many big-bucks free agents started in the Super Bowl? Two, Muhsin Muhammad and John Tait of Chicago. Adam Vinatieri of the Colts and Ruben Brown of the Bears also came through free agency, though not for big bucks. Indianapolis and Chicago fielded mainly homegrown performers who were acquired via the draft or as little-known young players. In the winter of 2006, Edgerrin James and Steve Hutchinson received the biggest free-agent bonuses and the most free-agency hype; their new teams were eliminated by Thanksgiving. It is not impossible for a big-bucks free agent to become an important piece in a successful NFL club's puzzle, but it is rare. Unlike basketball or baseball, where a star can win a game with an individual performance, in football victory comes only if the entire team plays as a unit. Slow, painstaking development of draft choices and low-profile players is the essence of cohesive team performance. Bringing in a flashy, high-priced free agent often proves a net minus, as the overpriced guy harms team chemistry more than he helps performance. Plus, as TMQ perennially points out, highly hyped free agents who have just signed for a megabucks bonus often celebrate by taking their next season off.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

He's pretty funny.
    More then not atleast, thats better then most pundits.

please don't write to complain that I have Drew Mormino going to Kansas City with pick No. 231. In private conversations with scouts and NFL personnel directors over the last few weeks, I've become convinced the Chiefs will take Mormino in the seventh -- not the Dolphins at pick No. 219 like everyone is saying.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Zeus" wrote:

And this bit, about building via the draft, should be tatooed to a few posters' heads.

Free Agency Isn't Free: For all the hoopla over this winter's free-agent signings, consider: How many big-bucks free agents started in the Super Bowl? Two, Muhsin Muhammad and John Tait of Chicago. Adam Vinatieri of the Colts and Ruben Brown of the Bears also came through free agency, though not for big bucks. Indianapolis and Chicago fielded mainly homegrown performers who were acquired via the draft or as little-known young players. In the winter of 2006, Edgerrin James and Steve Hutchinson received the biggest free-agent bonuses and the most free-agency hype; their new teams were eliminated by Thanksgiving. It is not impossible for a big-bucks free agent to become an important piece in a successful NFL club's puzzle, but it is rare. Unlike basketball or baseball, where a star can win a game with an individual performance, in football victory comes only if the entire team plays as a unit. Slow, painstaking development of draft choices and low-profile players is the essence of cohesive team performance. Bringing in a flashy, high-priced free agent often proves a net minus, as the overpriced guy harms team chemistry more than he helps performance. Plus, as TMQ perennially points out, highly hyped free agents who have just signed for a megabucks bonus often celebrate by taking their next season off.
    =Z=
    I like the points he makes, especially with the emphasis on the team aspect in football.
    Although he makes it sound like new FA's are graded on instent success while rookies are not.
    Thats not a fair comparison.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

TMQ>Peter King...MUCH >
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Good read, should be mandatory for all people interested in the draft to really understand what the words mean that come spewing out of player personnel guys.

"The Wonderlic test is just one of many factors we consider." Translation: "None of our coaches can answer those questions, either." (Question: Judy's brother is three times as old as Michelle's younger sister, who is traveling 60 miles per hour east along the hypotenuse of a triangle. In five years, what will Dick Cheney's Social Security number be?)
    Absolutely, notice no emphasis on Wonderlic scores this year.
    The answer by the way is 666-00-666, but I don't think its going to help my chances of getting into the NFL.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    Good read, should be mandatory for all people interested in the draft to really understand what the words mean that come spewing out of player personnel guys.

"The Wonderlic test is just one of many factors we consider." Translation: "None of our coaches can answer those questions, either." (Question: Judy's brother is three times as old as Michelle's younger sister, who is traveling 60 miles per hour east along the hypotenuse of a triangle. In five years, what will slick willy Cheney's Social Security number be?)
    The answer by the way is 666-00-666, but I don't think its going to help my chances of getting into the NFL.
    There has not been any year where the Wonderlic scores were discussed IN THE OPEN MEDIA.
    That is largely due to the fact that players agents are hyping their players via URube vids showing highlights, but no lowlights, of their clients.

But GMs, coaches and player scouts are reviewing character issues and Wondelic scores.....

.... And that is the reason fans are always amazed each year at a few draft picks that seem to be reaches, others that seem to be steals of the draft, and other situations where a top player falls like a rock.
    Wondelic scores and character issues cannot be publicized for fear of lawsuits if the information is not carefully vetted for accuracy.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"tastywaves" wrote:

"The Wonderlic test is just one of many factors we consider." Translation: "None of our coaches can answer those questions, either." (Question: Judy's brother is three times as old as Michelle's younger sister, who is traveling 60 miles per hour east along the hypotenuse of a triangle. In five years, what will Dick Cheney's Social Security number be?)
    No, that answer isn't going to help your chances of getting anywhere, since social security numbers are supposed to have 9 digits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast