Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Titans shut the door on McNair

KFFL
    Titans | Team releases statement regarding McNair
    Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:57:40 -0700

The Tennessee Titans have released a statement regarding QB Steve McNair and why they would not let him workout with the team. "We have communicated with Steve (McNair) and Bus (Cook) since the fall that we could handle Steve's salary cap figure into the new league year (2006), but we are not willing to carry that number into the season. We have spent time working in good faith to renegotiate Steve's contract, but have not yet arrived at a mutually satisfactory resolution. With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person." The team hopes to continue efforts to resolve McNair's contract and wishes to see him return when that is completed.

Titans | Cap space tight; but will McNair restructure to help them? - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:48:00 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Tennessee Titans are a mere $462,673 under the salary cap, and that doesn't include signing their upcoming draft picks. Tennessee is going to have to find more cap room and the place it always has found it is QB Steve McNair, who carries a $23.45 million salary cap figure for the coming season. This time, it doesn't sound as if McNair is going to be so understanding, based on his being turned away from the team headquarters Monday, April 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ravens | Team continues to monitor McNair’s situation - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:57:10 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Baltimore Ravens continue to monitor QB Steve McNair's situation with the Tennessee Titans. They have been tracking him his situation for a few weeks. In the wake of the news Monday, April 3, that the Titans have told McNair that he cannot work out at the club's facility until his sticky contract situation is resolved, the Ravens' interest has been further piqued. The Ravens have been seeking an alternative to starting QB Kyle Boller for much of the offseason.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"Prophet" wrote:
    ...As he's done so many times in his NFL career, Steve McNair showed up for work yesterday at Baptist Sports Park.

Only this time, McNair was told he wasn't welcome...

..."A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life," Cook said last night.

"They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team …

"To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more.'...

...Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, also in Los Angeles, referred to the "complicated" contract situation...

..."I am shocked really. I thought it was an April Fools joke. There's no way you can mend that bridge, in my opinion. How do you throw your guy out? Why don't you go to him and say, 'Steve, economically we can't keep you. We are going to go ahead and release you and let you go.' Now we have no desire to go out and help them with the contract. He has a contract, so live up to it if you want him.'...
    I've always liked McNair. This guy is a tough bastard. I wish him well.

============================================

KFFL
    Titans | McNair’s days with team probably numbered
    Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:41:11 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair's days with the team are probably numbered after the team told him he was not welcome at Baptist Sports Park, where the team is working out. McNair's agent, James "Bus" Cook, said, "A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life. They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team. To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more." The Titans are concerned about McNair getting injured while working out, which would make the team liable for his $9 million in base salary for 2006.
    Yeah, it's a shame to see a veteran of he stature to be treated as he was.
    Being here in Tennessee, I know how much Titan fans love this guy, and they appreciate what he has down for the entire franchise. Up until the past few years, the Titans were pretty dominate. They were making the playoffs and getting pretty far practically every year.
    But yes, he is very tough. He has been battling those chest injuries over the past seasons, and continues to get out on the field and do what he can. Plus, he is an all-around great guy.
    He deserves those extra 5 inches and a championship.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Titans | Cooks says if talks do not progress, McNair should be released
    Wed, 5 Apr 2006 06:30:04 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports agent Bus Cook said if talks on a properly restructured contract with the Tennessee Titans for QB Steve McNair do not progress, the team should release McNair. "He is under contract, so they have to do what they have to do,' Cook said. "But if we can't agree on a new deal that compensates him for 2-3 years on his existing deal, the right thing to do is release him. But that is their choice.' McNair has one year remaining on his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9 million in base salary in 2006. He will count $23.46 million against the team's salary cap. Cook said there's little reason to believe contract talks will improve any time soon, though he said he expects to talk to general manager Floyd Reese in the coming days.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

They could have went about it in a different manner.. This guy has done nothing short of screwing up his career for that team. I agree though, if they are only $400,000 under the cap, and he is 23 mil towards the cap, they need to cut him.

He is a great QB, but way past his prime. They could have, and should have done things differently with McNair. I am sure he will get on with another team, just a shame the Titans dropped the ball on their guy..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Leinert is going to the Titans
    I saw that they were interested in him. Leinert was on NFL TA last night, and said that he had an extensive sit down interview with Chow and Fischer. I think he even worked out for them. He said he threw better for them than he did at the combine.

Jets also are interested in Leinert???

Is the cap hit for McNair still 23 mill if he is cut by the team??? Basically, are they going to be helping themselves in the cap room area??

Del Rio Guest

I wonder if they are forcing his hand in the matter. I guess they could try to work a trade out.

That's a big dent to take for cutting a guy.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

That is complete crap

[color=red]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...As he's done so many times in his NFL career, Steve McNair showed up for work yesterday at Baptist Sports Park.

Only this time, McNair was told he wasn't welcome...

..."A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life," Cook said last night.

"They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team …

"To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more.'...

...Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, also in Los Angeles, referred to the "complicated" contract situation...

..."I am shocked really. I thought it was an April Fools joke. There's no way you can mend that bridge, in my opinion. How do you throw your guy out? Why don't you go to him and say, 'Steve, economically we can't keep you. We are going to go ahead and release you and let you go.' Now we have no desire to go out and help them with the contract. He has a contract, so live up to it if you want him.'...
    I've always liked McNair. This guy is a tough bastard. I wish him well.

============================================

KFFL
    Titans | McNair’s days with team probably numbered
    Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:41:11 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair's days with the team are probably numbered after the team told him he was not welcome at Baptist Sports Park, where the team is working out. McNair's agent, James "Bus" Cook, said, "A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life. They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team. To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more." The Titans are concerned about McNair getting injured while working out, which would make the team liable for his $9 million in base salary for 2006.
    Yeah, it's a shame to see a veteran of he stature to be treated as he was.
    Being here in Tennessee, I know how much Titan fans love this guy, and they appreciate what he has down for the entire franchise. Up until the past few years, the Titans were pretty dominate. They were making the playoffs and getting pretty far practically every year.
    But yes, he is very tough. He has been battling those chest injuries over the past seasons, and continues to get out on the field and do what he can. Plus, he is an all-around great guy.
    He deserves those extra 5 inches and a championship.
    He DOES deserve a championship...but not with the Titans...Bud "The Jerk" Adams DOES NOT deserve a championship and I hope that he NEVER gets one...that A$$HOLE!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

POSTED 8:35 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 9:28 p.m. EDT, April 5, 2006

RAVENS WAITING TO POUNCE ON McNAIR
    Mike Florio

A league source tells us that the Baltimore Ravens will be prepared to move quickly to sign quarterback Steve McNair, if/when McNair is released by the Tennessee Titans.

And the source expects that the Titans eventually will dump McNair, given the team's desperate need for cap relief in order to sign its draft picks. Cutting McNair would create $9 million in 2006 cap space.

Coach Jeff Fisher, we're told, desperately wants to keep McNair and draft quarterback Vince Young, so that Young could spend a year learning from McNair. But they can't sign Young unless they cut McNair.

And since the Titans have bled so many veterans over the past couple of years, it'll be extremely difficult for the team to create enough room to sign Young without cutting McNair, since the Titans would have to cut even more players to clear space to sign Young and the other rookies whom the Titans will draft later this month.

As to the Ravens, many league observers believe they have delayed pursuing Kerry Collins in the anticipation that McNair eventually will become available. If McNair lands in Baltimore, he'll likely be given every opportunity to supplant current starter Kyle Boller.

They're going to draft Young over Leinart? That's news. They may be looking to drop down a couple of spots then. Will the Jets step up to take Leinart? Interesting stuff.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast