singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Titans GM Reese resigns

[size=13pt]Titans GM Reese resigns[/size]

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Floyd Reese resigned Friday as general manager of the Tennessee Titans.

The team scheduled a news conference for later Friday after announcing that Reese would not return.

Reese had finished his 13th season in the job. His contract was up this year.

"I had hopes of signing a contract extension and staying with the Titans for many more years, but it became apparent to me over the last several months that that would be difficult,' Reese said in a statement released by the team.

"Rather than drag out a process that would probably end up with us going our separate ways, the right thing to do is to cut ties now and let the Titans move on and me as well.'

Reese has been with the franchise for 21 years, going back to its origins as the Houston Oilers.

"It's hard parting ways, but I am confident that change will be good for everyone involved,' team owner Bud Adams said in a statement.

In December, Adams denied that coach Jeff Fisher was leaving after the season, but he wasn't as emphatic about Reese. At the time Adams said, ``I don't think he's going anywhere.'

Fisher, at the time, said he couldn't imagine working without Reese.

The Titans finished the season 8-8 with a loss to New England, and just fell short of becoming the first NFL team to start 0-5 and reach the playoffs.

After a 2-7 start, the team won six-straight games. The turnaround earned quarterback Vince Young the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the year award Wednesday and led Adams to pick up Fisher's option for 2007. Talks of an extension for Fisher are expected soon.

"Our job now is to move forward and find someone that can help lead this organization to our goals,' team President Steve Underwood said.

The Titans went 111-102 while Reese was the GM, and the team went to the Super Bowl in 2000, where the Titans lost to the Rams. But the team has struggled to rebuild, winning only five games in 2004 and four in 2005.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mystophales is offline Rookie

Re: Titans GM Reese resigns

I have no respect for that organizaton. There is absolutely no loyalty there other than Fisher still being there...which he always seems to do just enough not to get fired. The way they treated McNair was simply disgusting. I don't really care one way or the other about McNair or this franchise but I can certainly see that he gave everything he had to them. He never complained. He constantly played hurt. He never complained about his contract. To leave him hanging the way they did was uncalled for. Now they show more loyalty to an employee that has been with them for 21 years.

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Titans GM Reese resigns

Wow I am kinda surprised.
    I really thought that Vince Young saved all of there jobs.
    I was talking to some people from Memphis and they all like Fischer.
    I thought he would be in the dog house by now but it seems not.