Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Titans finally ship McNair to Baltimore.

POSTED 1:25 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 1:37 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2006

TITANS FINALLY SHIP McNAIR TO BALTIMORE
    Mike Florio

Profootballtalk.com has learned that the Tennessee Titans finally have reached an agreement with the Baltimore Ravens to trade quarterback Steve McNair, NFL co-MVP in 2003.

The Ravens get McNair, and the Titans get Baltimore's fourth-round pick in 2007.

We received initial word regarding the trade from an anonymous tipster, and we confirmed it by tapping into our ever-growing network of league sources. We anticipate that, very soon, every other news organization will be running with the story, and we figure no one will mention that it was first reported right here.

But like getting ball deep in a hot bath, we're used to it.

The trade brings to a conclusion weeks of rancor between the Titans and McNair, which have included a decision by the team to bar McNair from the facility, a grievance resulting in a ruling that he can't be barred, and a looming battle regarding the team's failure to comply with the outcome of the arbitration.

At its core, the fight was about McNair's contract. The team wasn't going to pay him $9 million in salary in 2006, and McNair wasn't going to reduce his total compensation to $6 million, as the team had requested.

Instead, he'll earn $12 million this year in Baltimore, where he presumably becomes the starting quarterback, relegating former first-rounder Kyle Boller to No. 2 on the depth chart. The other quarterbacks under contract are Brian St. Pierre and Drew Olson.

Meanwhile, the Titans will carry more than $14 million in dead money this year as a result of past payments made to McNair. He'll be off of the books in 2007.

The move gives the Titans $9 million in cap room, which will allow them to sign their draft picks and either add some free agents or extend the contracts of some of their younger players.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Titans finally ship McNair to Baltimore.

Pretty good deal for the Ravens, eventhough I've never been the biggest McNair fan. He should help out that offense a lot more than Boller could have.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Its about time. I've started feeling sorry for McNair and I just want to go back to not caring!

That's a pretty good move by the Ravens, I think. Now they ahve a good veteran and a back-up with a year's experience, who will be able to grow further learning from McNair.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

it's about time.... why would FA want to go to the Titans anymore..... after seeing how they treated McNair.

Thanks Lotza!

"damien927" wrote:
    it's about time.... why would FA want to go to the Titans anymore..... after seeing how they treated McNair.
    Add that to the fact that they are a terrible team
    -Canibus

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good move by the Ravens and will bring some experience to the team ... think the Steelers would not be happy seeing this happen in their division.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Titans | Team agrees to trade McNair to Baltimore
    Wed, 7 Jun 2006

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Tennessee Titans have agreed to trade QB Steve McNair to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for a fourth-round pick. The trade is contingent on McNair passing a physical with the Ravens.

Ravens | Team acquires McNair
    Wed, 7 Jun 2006

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Baltimore Ravens have acquired Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair in exchange for their fourth-round draft pick. The trade is contingent on McNair passing a physical with the team.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

That is great news for Baltimore, bad news for the titans, now young is going to get his arse kicked

Thanks PurpleMafia

I never understood letting go of good, proven players like McNair, Culpepper, Javon Walker, etc. for anything in the second round and beyond. The odds are that they will never receive anything near that quality of player from the pick they get. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    -Canibus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast