Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Tim Brown Retiring

Raiders WR Tim Brown is set to retire, hear is the link.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8625208

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: Tim Brown Retiring

Tim Brown was awesome.. Wish him the best of luck on whatever he decides to do! Congrats on the awesome carrer!

we will c him on cbs or some other sports network......guy was a mirror image of carter in a lot of aspects good luck to mr. brown
    Can Someone please Hook me up with a Sig

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

good sailing tim!!!!although i hate the raiders

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah I'm not a Raiders fan but it's cool he had a great career.. Good luck with whut he decides to in the future.. Thanks for being one of the great guys in the NFL and a leader

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Speaking strictly as a Vikings fan, I'd have to say that Brown was a great receiver, has alot of class, and, is a good guy. I'm sure he'll stay involved in football for a long time to come. ccasion5:

Now, speaking as Raider hater, I'd have to say I'm glad that methuselah is off the field...good riddance. I just wish he'd take Al Davis with him. ottytrain2: :wave:

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Sweet! Tim was a great WR and a great guy.

But, he was 31 receptions short of Cris. I am glad Cris is still #2!

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

He was a class act on and off of the field. I still remember when he was a great player at Notre Dame.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Tim Brown Retires

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Nearly a year after the Oakland Raiders thought Tim Brown was ready to retire, their most prolific receiver.

Brown signed a one-day contract and retired with the Raiders on Monday, putting a graceful end to the turbulent final months of his 17-year NFL career.

Brown, the Heisman Trophy winner at Notre Dame in 1987, spent his first 16 seasons with the Raiders in Los Angeles and Oakland, becoming the self-proclaimed "Mr. Raider." But after refusing to accept a minor role with Oakland last year, Brown spent one last disappointing season in a small role with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Though that career choice might have hurt a few feelings among the Raiders' executives and fans, Brown always wanted his final NFL jersey to be silver and black.

"At some point in my career, I didn't think this day would ever come," Brown said. "I thought I'd just keep playing and keep playing. But I'm very glad this day has come, and I can move on to the next phase of my life.

"I feel great. I feel as if I can still play five years of football ... but maybe the reason to retire is because I feel so good," he said.

Brown, who turns 39 on Friday, had 1,070 receptions for 14,734 yards and 99 touchdowns with the Raiders before they released him last August. Reuniting with former Raiders coach Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay, Brown had just 24 catches for 200 yards and one touchdown last season.

Brown, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, is tied with Steve Largent for third on the NFL's career touchdown catches list, and only former Oakland teammate Jerry Rice has more career yards receiving. His 1,094 career catches rank third in NFL history.

The Raiders said owner Al Davis couldn't attend the ceremony at a hotel near the Raiders' training complex because of scheduling conflicts. Chief executive Amy Trask was on hand to present Brown's ceremonial contract.

Brown and Davis had an uncommonly close relationship during their years together, with Brown becoming one of the few players whose opinion Davis sought. But Brown knows he strained that bond when he reunited with Gruden and former Raiders executive Bruce Allen in Tampa Bay last season. The Raiders hoped Brown would retire with them last year.

"I don't think they like the fact that I went to Jon Gruden and Bruce, but I was unemployed," Brown said with a grin. "I needed a job. What was I to do? Mr. Davis and I, we've had our cross words, but I think there's a mutual respect. ... [Tampa Bay] obviously didn't work out the way I planned, but if I had to do it over again, I'd do the same thing."

Raiders receiver Jerry Porter and former teammates Lincoln Kennedy and Chester McGlockton attended the event -- and so did Marcus Allen, the Hall of Fame running back whose career with the Raiders ended with a nasty public dispute. His rift with Davis still hasn't healed.

"The great thing about Tim was his consistency," Allen said. "When they look back on the receivers from the era that we played in, his name is going to stand out with Jerry and only a couple of other guys. That's how good he was, and how important."

Rich Gannon, Oakland's quarterback during Brown's only Super Bowl season in 2002, didn't attend. Gannon and Brown were at a celebrity golf tournament in the Lake Tahoe area last weekend, when Brown sought advice from retired superstars including John Elway, Michael Jordan, Dan Marino and Charles Barkley.

"They said to enjoy your retirement, but keep yourself busy," Brown said. "When you're used to being in the locker room every day, it can take a toll on you."

That shouldn't be difficult for Brown, who is in talks with Fox and Sirius satellite radio for broadcasting jobs. He also plans to remain active in charity work.

And Brown also announced an unlikely venture -- he hopes to become the first black majority owner of a NASCAR team. Brown, a Dallas native with no background in auto racing, plans to partner with Roush Racing on a team based in Charlotte, N.C., and to begin competition next year.

"It's going to be a big deal to try and get accomplished, but I think it's going to be great to try," said Brown, who said he was approached by Roush Racing for the job. "Obviously there's a diversity issue that needs to be addressed [in NASCAR]. They thought I was a good guy to do it."

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Tim Brown Retires

Great player, too bad he stuck around and "played" with the bucs. Should've stayed a raider for life and not stuck around for last year. Gotta love the former Golden Domer though!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast