Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Tight ends a better decade than any position group

Rockmolder wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Ok, so waht you're saying applies to most players. Without a QB worth a damn, they don't produce as well?

Shank had a bad season with TJ, but it wasn't all TJ's doing. Shank was dropping lots of balls. He's improved his catching, and makes some very good catches. He still has a number of drops, but he makes up for it with good play otherwise, wasn't the case his first year his.

Do you not think its entirely possible that maybe, after being a backup in NY, it took a while to get to the level we needed him?

Like I said, I don't think that he's a bad TE and he could start on quite a few teams in the league. To get that many TDs and yards you have to know how to get open. But he isn't a great player, either.
    lol. And I suppose you think Finley is? Seems to be a common trend with packers fans. A few good games, and you think you've got the next TG or Winslow.

Shiancoe could start on all NFCN teams except maybe the Bears. and would start on the majority of NFL teams. he's not 'elite', not the same group as guys like Gates, Witten, etc. but he's probably top 10 or 15 in the league.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with what I think about Finley. Not once did I even mention his name.
    I realize that, but I've been in other forums, and the general consensus from packers fans is that Finley is the second coming of christ from the TE position. They think he's easily the best TE in the North.

Shiancoe was 16th in yards, 11th in catches and 20th in yards per game.
    The Favre effect. Rice was #4 in the league, Harvin exceeded expectations, Berrian caught a bunch of balls, Peterson and Taylor all had alright numbers, he spreads the ball around. Yards for the most part are a very overrated stat. If you gain 1100 yards as a receiver, but don't get in the endzone, or drop alot (TO/Braylon), then you're not necessarily the best. Do those numbers only include Tight Ends? I assume so, but just want to be sure

The thing he has going for him is that he's a "TD Machine". He ranked 2nd with 11 last year.
    Also Favres effect. He's always liked throwing to TE's in the redzone, I don't think that if TJ were playing, he'd have 11 TD's (No, nto because Favre is better, but because of different styles of play)

He's just a good, but not great, player. Nothing that special. Neither his stats or his play on the field show me anything that he's a great TE who I'd love to have.
    Fair enough. What I see though, is good production, a few drops, but he makes the important catches now. he made some very athletic and acrobatic catches last year. There are some guys that you can squeeze the ball in an akward angle, and he'll come down with it. Shiancoe did that last year. If he dropped 3 or 4 of those TD passes, honestly I wouldn't really be taht worried, sicne there were some really tough balls to catch.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    ....... sicne there were some really tough balls to catch.
    Resist the urge Marrdro, resist the urge. LOL

JK, Great post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Ok, so waht you're saying applies to most players. Without a QB worth a damn, they don't produce as well?

Shank had a bad season with TJ, but it wasn't all TJ's doing. Shank was dropping lots of balls. He's improved his catching, and makes some very good catches. He still has a number of drops, but he makes up for it with good play otherwise, wasn't the case his first year his.

Do you not think its entirely possible that maybe, after being a backup in NY, it took a while to get to the level we needed him?

Like I said, I don't think that he's a bad TE and he could start on quite a few teams in the league. To get that many TDs and yards you have to know how to get open. But he isn't a great player, either.
    lol. And I suppose you think Finley is? Seems to be a common trend with packers fans. A few good games, and you think you've got the next TG or Winslow.

Shiancoe could start on all NFCN teams except maybe the Bears. and would start on the majority of NFL teams. he's not 'elite', not the same group as guys like Gates, Witten, etc. but he's probably top 10 or 15 in the league.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with what I think about Finley. Not once did I even mention his name.
    I realize that, but I've been in other forums, and the general consensus from packers fans is that Finley is the second coming of christ from the TE position. They think he's easily the best TE in the North.

Shiancoe was 16th in yards, 11th in catches and 20th in yards per game.
    The Favre effect. Rice was #4 in the league, Harvin exceeded expectations, Berrian caught a bunch of balls, Peterson and Taylor all had alright numbers, he spreads the ball around. Yards for the most part are a very overrated stat. If you gain 1100 yards as a receiver, but don't get in the endzone, or drop alot (TO/Braylon), then you're not necessarily the best. Do those numbers only include Tight Ends? I assume so, but just want to be sure

The thing he has going for him is that he's a "TD Machine". He ranked 2nd with 11 last year.
    Also Favres effect. He's always liked throwing to TE's in the redzone, I don't think that if TJ were playing, he'd have 11 TD's (No, nto because Favre is better, but because of different styles of play)

He's just a good, but not great, player. Nothing that special. Neither his stats or his play on the field show me anything that he's a great TE who I'd love to have.
    Fair enough. What I see though, is good production, a few drops, but he makes the important catches now. he made some very athletic and acrobatic catches last year. There are some guys that you can squeeze the ball in an akward angle, and he'll come down with it. Shiancoe did that last year. If he dropped 3 or 4 of those TD passes, honestly I wouldn't really be taht worried, sicne there were some really tough balls to catch.
    Yeah, those numbers only include TEs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&statist icPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&Submit=Go&qualified=true&tabSeq=1& d-447263-p=1

But then we're pretty much on the same page.

And I know what you mean about Finley. I really like him, but it seems like people are expecting a performance like that one in the AZ play-off game from him every game now. I think that he'll be good, but that he won't meet some of the more ridiculous expectations. Especially on a team that has some other targets in the passing game.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234