singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice, other ex-head coaches landing on their feet

[size=18px]Tice, other ex-head coaches landing on their feet[/size]

BY CARL KOTALA
    FLORIDA TODAY

JACKSONVILLE - Think Mike Tice wants to be an NFL head coach again?

"That's a silly question," he said. "Of course I do. Why wouldn't you? There's nothing like being the boss, right?"

The 47-year-old former Minnesota Vikings coach isn't in a big hurry. In fact, he believes he's got a "pretty good gig" going as assistant head coach/offense of the Jacksonville Jaguars. His boss, friend and former teammate Jack Del Rio, has two ex-NFL head coaches on his staff, the other being former Cowboys front man Dave Campo.

Tice and Campo are two of 18 ex-NFL head coaches now working as assistants in the league.

"I think it's a smart business move on his part to surround himself with the best coaches," Tice said of Del Rio. "All the great generals had great colonels and lieutenants. All the great corporate CEOs had great vice presidents and presidents. I think Jack's done a great job of putting this staff together."

Hiring a former head coach can be beneficial in a number of ways, but it's doesn't appeal to every organization. After all, it can be hard for someone accustomed to having autonomy of making decisions, going back to being one who takes orders.

Like Tice said, there's nothing like being the boss, right?

Del Rio, though, isn't worried.

"I guess you could say I can have a strong personality at times," the Jaguars head coach said. "I think you'd have to have a certain way about you to handle ex-head coaches on your staff. But I feel good about our relationship, with Mike and with Dave.

"The more talented people I have around me, the better for us. I'm not intimidated by that."

Neither is Washington's Joe Gibbs, who has former head coaches Al Saunders, Gregg Williams and Joe Bugel on his staff. Miami's Nick Saban didn't waste any time hiring former Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey and ex-Houston Texans coach Dom Capers once they became available this past offseason.

Of the 10 head coaches who left or were fired from their 2005 teams, only two -- Dick Vermeil and Steve Mariucci -- did not take a job as an assistant for 2006. Vermeil retired and Mariucci plans to work for the NFL Network in the fall.

Miami players have said it's obvious Mularkey and Capers are former head coaches because of the way they talk. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Center Rex Hadnot said Mularkey is stern and to the point, just like Saban. Hadnot added that it helps to have the same message repeated over and over, so it sinks in. Defensive players can't wait to pick Capers' brain because of his past success working a system very similar to the one they're running now.

"He brings a lot of knowledge and experience, and he's been through a lot, coached a lot of great players, a lot of great teams, a lot of great defenses," Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor said. "The guys last year did a great job, but Dom brings an added experience.

"Like I said, he coached some great clubs before and he brings that here and can teach us a lot of things. I know I'll be leaning on Dom to learn a lot more to get through training camp."

As assistant head coach/offense for the Jaguars, Tice is not in charge of any one facet of the Jacksonville offense. He has spent most of his time with the line, tight ends and receivers, but his main job is to bring energy -- and ideas -- to any offensive area that needs it.

"I just enjoy teaching," Tice said. "If things are going well in an area, I don't need to go in there and (mess) it up. If they're not, then I go over and try to help. The coaches have done a great job accepting my role, which is to help them, help the kids and help us win. That's what I'm here for."

Del Rio likes having coaches such as Tice and Campo on his staff, for several reasons. Both offer expert advice on how to handle certain situations because they've experienced them before. Tice also could bring in ideas from Minnesota, which up until last season had a high-powered offense.

Being able to work with Del Rio was a given. For Tice, the trick was immersing himself in the offense without stepping on the toes of assistants already in place.

The transition is going smoothly now, but Tice admits he might have been a little too gung-ho coming in.

"At first, I probably handled it a little bit wrong," he said. "I came in with a whole lotta ideas without really looking at what we were doing here already, and I think what we're doing here already is a lot of good stuff. We're a real good throwing team, a real good power or counter team. There are a lot of things we do.

"Once I was able to absorb what we were doing, it worked a little bit better as far as talking about some thoughts I had in some areas. Then, as we progressed, it even came to the point where we would actually go in and talk and they would say, 'Well, how did you do that?'

As we progressed, we really got into a tremendous rhythm as a staff. I think it's worked probably better than I thought it would when I initially got here."

Tice believes new Jaguars offensive line coach Andy Heck has done an excellent job, giving the unit's overall progress an 8 on a 1-to-10 scale since last season.

In fact, Tice believes Jacksonville's entire offensive staff has had a tremendous offseason. He's even learned some new tricks from the way the Jaguars do things. He'll take them into his next head coaching gig -- if and when that opportunity presents itself.

"I'm here, I'm loving what I'm doing. I'm not worried about whether or not that happens again," Tice said. "Would I like to be? Of course. Am I worried about if I am (going to be a head coach again) or not? No. This is a pretty good gig down here.

"I've got a head coach that's a friend, that trusts me. I trust him. We've got a great rapport and relationship. We spend a lot of time together talking about the team, and football. I'm in no rush to go.

"Next year, when my son graduates (from high school), I'll be an empty-nester, living in Florida with my wife. That's not a bad thing."

Tice, other ex-head coaches landing on their feet

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Tice, other ex-head coaches landing on their feet

[size=18px]Head coaches turned assistants[/size]

Jacksonville's Mike Tice is among current assistant coaches who were once NFL head coaches. Here's a look at where the former coaches from 2005 landed

Name: 2005 team — Current team — New title

Mike Tice: Minnesota — Jacksonville — Asst. head coach/offense

Mike Mularkey: Buffalo — Miami — Offensive coordinator

Dom Capers: Houston — Miami — Special asst. to head coach

Mike Martz: St. Louis — Detroit — Offensive coordinator

Mike Sherman: Green Bay — Houston — Asst. head coach/offense

Norv Turner: Oakland — San Francisco — Offensive coordinator

Jim Haslett: New Orleans — St. Louis — Defensive coordinator

Herman Edwards: N.Y. Jets — Kansas City — Head coach

Steve Mariucci: Detroit — None — With NFL Network in fall

Dick Vermeil: Kansas City — None — Retired

Source

Prophet Guest

My guess is that Del Rio will strip press privledges from Tice before too long. The last thing they need is Tice telling their plans to the world before the season starts.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Tice is an idiot.. That part where he says, " If something is going good, then I don't have to get in there and mess with it". That is a lie.. He screwed with crap all the time. If anyone is smart enough, they won't ever hire him as their HC..

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Tice is an idiot.. That part where he says, " If something is going good, then I don't have to get in there and mess with it". That is a lie.. He screwed with crap all the time. If anyone is smart enough, they won't ever hire him as their HC..
    :roll: Yeah, he screwed with Cotrells playbook & look what happened. :wink:

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Tice isn't necessarily an idiot. He just wasn't ready to be a head coach. He had the position thrust upon him because Red McCheap wouldn't pay more than the minimum for a new head coach. After a few years under Del Rio, who knows... he might be ready to take the plunge again.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Tice isn't necessarily an idiot. He just wasn't ready to be a head coach. He had the position thrust upon him because Red McCheap wouldn't pay more than the minimum for a new head coach. After a few years under Del Rio, who knows... he might be ready to take the plunge again.
    He may be able to do a decent job in the future as HC. I doubt it. I have to go with VikesfaninWis and agree that Tice is an idiot. He has done little to make me think otherwise. He's a likable guy, just an idiot.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"All the great generals had great colonels and lieutenants. All the great corporate CEOs had great vice presidents and presidents. I think Jack's done a great job of putting this staff together."
    So he's admitting here he isn't head coaching material (general) but and assistant (lieutenant). I'd go along with that.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.