Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice: I'm Not Looking Back

Posted on Mon, Mar. 13, 2006

[size=18px]'I'M NOT LOOKING BACK'[/size]

I don't think I was ever angry I was fired. I was just disappointed.

I don't want to sound bitter because I'm not.

I saw Zygi Wilf at the combine. We gave each other a big hug. We'll remain friends. It was business. That's life in the bigs, man.

I gave away most of my Vikings stuff to friends in Minnesota. I kept some stuff. You've got to remember I'm Vikings alumni, too. I'm not ashamed of wearing a Vikings shirt. I'll wear it very proudly.

Nobody will ever take my sense of humor away.

My wife Diane is really funny. She's one of the funniest people I know. She has a great sense of humor. She married me.

Jacksonville feels like one of those towns where everybody is pulling for the same thing. In that respect, it reminds me of Green Bay. The people in Jacksonville are so nice. They have opened up their hearts to me and have been very warm in their welcome.

I feel very good when I come in and out of the airport in Minnesota.

People want to take their picture with me. I feel very good when I go out to eat. People are very kind to me. I can hold my head high in the state I raised my kids in.

My favorite movie of all time is "Cool Hand Luke." He is the epitome of cool. He is The Guy. It's a great flick. The fight scene I showed to my team many times. Another favorite movie of mine is "Apocalypse Now." I used the scene with Robert Duvall where, at the end, he says, "It smells like victory."

If a movie was made about my life, Steven Seagal should play me.
    I used to have a ponytail in 1992 when I played with the Vikings. I had hair then.

If I could change one thing about my life, I would have played in the NBA. I wasn't bad. I was recruited heavily coming out of high school. I was a power forward.

It's hard to not only be away from my wife, son, dog and cat — it's also tough to be away from dear friends. I don't have anyone to socialize with in Jacksonville.

I learned that when coaches leave, you don't look back. I left. Not by choice. I'm not looking back. There are a lot of lessons learned. I need to take those lessons and become better. When we move on, we hope we can be better.

Since the day I learned I didn't get the New York Jets job, I haven't thought about being a head coach. I'm not concerned about being a head coach. If it turns out that the rest of my career I work for (Jaguars coach) Jack Del Rio, great. If I get another chance to be a head coach, great. I'm not worried. I just feel, right now, at peace.

You feel that people want you to contribute and help, and they are appreciative of your talents. It makes you feel good as a man.

I haven't gotten my own parking space at a bar in Jacksonville, but we're getting close. I'm starting to find myself going to the same place.

If I wanted, I can go out every night and get drunk for free. Fortunately, I've been working every night.

We thought about Diane and Nate moving to Jacksonville for Nate's senior year in high school. But they're staying in Edina. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. You know me. I have a way of wearing on people. A little bit of space from me will be good for Diane.

I can't look at it and say, "Poor us." You can't feel sorry for yourself.

I don't listen to it all the time, but the best advice I ever got was that you have two ears and one mouth for a reason. I wish at age 47 I listened to that advice a little more. But you are who you are.

The worst advice I ever got? Get into coaching. (Laughs.)

If I could trade places for a day with any celebrity, I'd like to be Bruce Springsteen. I love him. I've gone to six or eight of his concerts.

I'm not ashamed of anything I did. In the last three years, we had the 10th-best winning percentage in the league. That ain't all that bad. Why should you be ashamed of what you did? I'm not. We weren't slappies.

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Mike Tice, who touched a lot of hearts."

'I'M NOT LOOKING BACK'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Tice: I'm Not Looking Back

It's not that difficult to 'not look back' when you are incapable of looking back even if you wanted to.

I wish Tice the best in his career, a likable guy.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Everything for a reason.........Skol, Mike!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

The oddest thing ever was seeing Mike Tice at the Combine with Jacksonville gear on....

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

He was not a great COACH but he was and is a great GUY!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Mike's an OK guy - I don't care what ANYONE says.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I was missing him the day he got canned......I'll never forget how I found out either.

I returned to my motel from the Vikings VS Bears game and I walked into the lobby and this guy walks up to me and says "they just fired tice" man was I up from the win and great time I had with Singer,caine and others at the game. But that floored me, I went up to the room and listened to the radio for a long time, all over the radio and news was how it was true. Maybe thats why the pizza I ordered tasted like crap..

Anyways, I'm happy he found a new gig, and I think his new position is more suited to his style......

Great guy, but I questioned his coaching and handling of players at times...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i just dont think tice can cut it as a head coach. this job probably better suits him.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

does he still have that parking space in minneapolis?

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I wish the best of luck to Mike. I have to say I will miss him.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast