Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tice could have used Goodell's muscle in '05

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1343247.html
    I love this quote from the article:
    Tice would have been better off with Roger Goodell as the commissioner,' " said Tice, the former Vikings head coach and current Jacksonville Jaguars assistant head coach-tight ends. "He seems to have stepped in and helped out some of the coaches who are going through some of the same things I went through. A lot of things I went through, people around the league are starting to find out that all coaches are going through. I'm just wondering why when it happened to me we were this out-of-control, undisciplined football team. And when it happens to some others, the league is stepping in."
    Tice admits her had lost control of the team!

And this one where he said he talked too much:
    Asked what he learned from his four-plus seasons as Vikings head coach, he said, "My mistakes."

What mistakes?

"I'd say I've always enjoyed talking to the media, or anybody who would listen, but I think sometimes saying too much can be a damaging thing to your program," Tice said. "It's showing your hand. [Former Vikings defensive coordinator and current head coach at Central Florida] George O'Leary and I are dear, dear friends. He used to tell me, 'Michael, Michael, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.'
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tice could have used Goodell's muscle in '05

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1343247.html
    Tice would have been better off with Roger Goodell as the commissioner,' " said Tice, the former Vikings head coach and current Jacksonville Jaguars assistant head coach-tight ends. "He seems to have stepped in and helped out some of the coaches who are going through some of the same things I went through. A lot of things I went through, people around the league are starting to find out that all coaches are going through. I'm just wondering why when it happened to me we were this out-of-control, undisciplined football team. And when it happens to some others, the league is stepping in."
    You lose control quickly when an old man has a hand up your butt.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I wonder if he would have like Goodell when he was found scalping tickets.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

I like this part from the article:

"We tend to forget Tice won a playoff game in 2004 at Lambeau Field and was fired after going 9-7 in 2005. Last year, new head coach Brad Childress went 6-10 and set team records for offensive offense."

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not a TICE fan.
    But I give credit, where credit is due and I believe we would be ahead of the curve at this point had we been able to keep the pieces . . . LINEHAN especially.

Actually, the way things have ended up for CULPEPPER and MOSS, maybe we'd still be a mess!
    ;D

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I wonder if he would have like Goodell when he was found scalping tickets.
    Ironically, it's not even against the law to scalp tickets in MN now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"sleepagent" wrote:

"We tend to forget Tice won a playoff game in 2004 at Lambeau Field and was fired after going 9-7 in 2005. Last year, new head coach Brad Childress went 6-10 and set team records for offensive offense."

But I give credit, where credit is due and I believe we would be ahead of the curve at this point had we been able to keep the pieces . . . LINEHAN especially.

Actually, the way things have ended up for CULPEPPER and MOSS, maybe we'd still be a mess!
    ;D

People seem to forget that most were calling for Linehan's head while he was here. The grass is always greener I guess.
    ;D

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

;D

People seem to forget that most were calling for Linehan's head while he was here. The grass is always greener I guess.
    ;D
    I'm part of the "some".
    I like the guy and he seemed to really channel DC and get the most out of his sorry butt.

I'm hoping under BC we can finally put together an Offense and Defense!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:

No, Tice isn't admitting that he lost control of the team. He is saying that when it happened to him OTHERS were saying that the Vikings were an out-of-control, undisciplined football team.

And he is right. They are not making as big a deal out of other teams & calling those teams out-of-control or undisciplined.

I.E. Bengals for one.

But then again the Vikings weren't a well loved team in the medias eyes.

I remember Monday Night football when Howard Cosell was on there. He used to do a half-time show showing highlights from Sundays game.

Rarely did he ever show the Vikings when they won.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

;D

;D
    Yeah, Linehan pissed me off sometimes with his goofy playcalling.
    But he was a good O-coordinator for us.

Vikings coordinators seem to be a farm for head coaches as of late; Dungy, Billick, Linehan, Tomlin.
    Kinda weird.
    (We should have hired Dungy as H.C. after Tice's one game in 2001.
    Stupid cheapass Red.)
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

No, Tice isn't admitting that he lost control of the team. He is saying that when it happened to him OTHERS were saying that the Vikings were an out-of-control, undisciplined football team.

And he is right. They are not making as big a deal out of other teams & calling those teams out-of-control or undisciplined.

I.E. Bengals for one.

But then again the Vikings weren't a well loved team in the medias eyes.

I remember Monday Night football when Howard Cosell was on there. He used to do a half-time show showing highlights from Sundays game.

Rarely did he ever show the Vikings when they won.
    Story I heard back in the day was; Cosell was staying at the same hotel as the Vikings. Cosell was walking across the lobby when some Vikings on the balcony dumped a garbage can of water on his head, washing his toupe off.
    Not much love from high and mighty Howie after that!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast