Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

They need to start capping rookie contracts or they will keep inflating untill they are out of control.
    Often the top 5 picks become the highest paid at their position.
    Jamarcus Russel currently makes way more than Brady, but isn't near the level that Brady is, nor will he ever be better.

Often drafting #1 overall doesn't really help your team.
    Sure you get a potentially great player, but he'll take a yrear or more to develop, and he'll take up a lot of cap money that could be spent on multiple veterans of equal ability.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    They need to start capping rookie contracts or they will keep inflating untill they are out of control.
    Often the top 5 picks become the highest paid at their position.
    Jamarcus Russel currently makes way more than Brady, but isn't near the level that Brady is, nor will he ever be better.

Often drafting #1 overall doesn't really help your team.
    Sure you get a potentially great player, but he'll take a yrear or more to develop, and he'll take up a lot of cap money that could be spent on multiple veterans of equal ability.
    I agree, and I hope the NFLPS is smart enough to see the inherent problems with it too.
    FYI, on the CBA issue:
    http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/02/21/nflpa-preparing-for-a-lockout/
    Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that, at the meeting, the NFLPA officials raised the possibility of a lockout in 2011.

“There could be a work stoppage, in which case even guaranteed contract [money] would presumably not be paid,” an agent who attended the meeting told Mullen.

Owners are expected to exercise their right to end the labor contract two years early, making 2010 the last season with a contract between the two sides.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"BoysFan24" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    I think it would take a lot more than the 2 3rd to move up 9 spots in the first round....

You forgot about the first...

And to say Matt Ryan won`t be Peyton Manning or he`s not like Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith (explain to me how they`re similar) isn`t fair to any one of them. He hitched himself to Drew Bledsoe and Phil Simms and got to Super Bowls...
    Drew Bledsoe was in the prime of his career and was on track to be a great quarterback before the injuries set in, and Phil Simms was pretty good in his prime.

I compare Ryan to Russell and Alex Smith because there is/was the feeling that neither one of them deserved the 100+ million dollar contracts they got on draft day. I think Ryan falls in that category as well. He's not worth the money, and I really doubt Parcells will spend that kind of cash on a guy just because he's there.

Besides, there has been a lot of early talk about the Dolphins wanting to trade OUT of the number one spot, which to me says they're not exactly thrilled with picking anyone, much less Ryan.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "BoysFan24" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    I think it would take a lot more than the 2 3rd to move up 9 spots in the first round....

You forgot about the first...

And to say Matt Ryan won`t be Peyton Manning or he`s not like Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith (explain to me how they`re similar) isn`t fair to any one of them. He hitched himself to Drew Bledsoe and Phil Simms and got to Super Bowls...
    Drew Bledsoe was in the prime of his career and was on track to be a great quarterback before the injuries set in, and Phil Simms was pretty good in his prime.

I compare Ryan to Russell and Alex Smith because there is/was the feeling that neither one of them deserved the 100+ million dollar contracts they got on draft day. I think Ryan falls in that category as well. He's not worth the money, and I really doubt Parcells will spend that kind of cash on a guy just because he's there.

Besides, there has been a lot of early talk about the Dolphins wanting to trade OUT of the number one spot, which to me says they're not exactly thrilled with picking anyone, much less Ryan.
    Thats twice you've come up with a great point today.
    ;D

Truth is he gutted the team and needs to plug alot of holes. My guess is he will want to do that with alot of draft picks.
    Best way to accumulate those is to trade down.

Problem is, not many teams are will to pay the cost (picks and $$$ to sign the number one guy) to move up that far, especially when you look at this draft class.

Don't get me wrong, there are some damn good players going in the top 5 but for a bit less you can get a pretty damn good DE, OL in the later part of the first and second rounds and save yourself alot of CAP dollars.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234