Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    Its very interesting point that NP brings up about redoing the chart based on anticipated costs to sign players up in the top 5 or 10 picks.

    By the way, until they do........

    First Pick = 3,000 Pts.

    Seventeen Pick =
    950 Pts.

    A quick check on the next picks we have would show how many picks you would have to give up to move from 17 to 1.

    Anyone remember the Ricky Williams debacle?


    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...aluechart.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    Json is offline GM
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,109

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    Draft Day Trades are spoke about all the damn time by the "experts" yet year in and year out I don't see jack until late rounds.
    It's an over hyped scenario to continue to drive in viewers.
    Not that I don't enjoy the draft but all the trade talks go in one ear and out the other for me when it comes to any of the top 10 picks being traded around.

  3. #23
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  4. #24
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....
    Two things....

    1. The charts aren't getting thrown out.
    They will be adjusted a bit to allow teams to move up if they want.

    2.
    The draft isn't as much of a crapshoot as some contend. In fact, that is one of the most over used cliche's when it comes to the draft.

    Teams that fail to select quality talent suffer more from shooting themselves in the foot by going into the draft with without good scouting.

    If a team applies some basic scouting skills to looking at players and gets players that are targeted for open positions on the team, then they will have greater success with thier draft.

    Have you noticed the success rate of the last 2 drafts executed by the Vikings.
    Still a bit early to tell on how they kids will evolve but all of them seem to show a pretty high talent level and should be successfull players for years to come.

    Again, a crap shoot or shitty scouting.
    I say the later.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #25
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....
    Two things....

    1. The charts aren't getting thrown out.
    They will be adjusted a bit to allow teams to move up if they want.

    2.
    The draft isn't as much of a crapshoot as some contend. In fact, that is one of the most over used cliche's when it comes to the draft.

    Teams that fail to select quality talent suffer more from shooting themselves in the foot by going into the draft with without good scouting.

    If a team applies some basic scouting skills to looking at players and gets players that are targeted for open positions on the team, then they will have greater success with thier draft.

    Have you noticed the success rate of the last 2 drafts executed by the Vikings.
    Still a bit early to tell on how they kids will evolve but all of them seem to show a pretty high talent level and should be successfull players for years to come.

    Again, a crap shoot or poohie scouting.
    I say the later.
    I have a feeling that the draft charts will be more than just "adjusted".
    As the rookie contracts for top picks have gotten higher, their value has not depreciated at all in most charts - even though we have gotten to the point in which having a top five pick is almost a liability.
    I suspect that the point value difference in the top ten picks will become significantly less, and we are going to see increased value in the bottom half of the first round and second round.

    If I were to rewrite a draft chart, I would actually give the same value to each of the top five picks.
    That takes into account both talent as well as cost to secure the player.
    In some drafts, it might be possible for 1,2, & 5 to be the highest, with 3 and 4 slightly lower in value, depending on the available players and team needs.

    What do you think?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....
    Two things....

    1. The charts aren't getting thrown out.
    They will be adjusted a bit to allow teams to move up if they want.

    2.
    The draft isn't as much of a crapshoot as some contend. In fact, that is one of the most over used cliche's when it comes to the draft.

    Teams that fail to select quality talent suffer more from shooting themselves in the foot by going into the draft with without good scouting.

    If a team applies some basic scouting skills to looking at players and gets players that are targeted for open positions on the team, then they will have greater success with thier draft.

    Have you noticed the success rate of the last 2 drafts executed by the Vikings.

    Still a bit early to tell on how they kids will evolve but all of them seem to show a pretty high talent level and should be successfull players for years to come.

    Again, a crap shoot or poohie scouting.
    I say the later.
    I have a feeling that the draft charts will be more than just "adjusted".
    As the rookie contracts for top picks have gotten higher, their value has not depreciated at all in most charts - even though we have gotten to the point in which having a top five pick is almost a liability.
    I suspect that the point value difference in the top ten picks will become significantly less, and we are going to see increased value in the bottom half of the first round and second round.

    If I were to rewrite a draft chart, I would actually give the same value to each of the top five picks.
    That takes into account both talent as well as cost to secure the player.
    In some drafts, it might be possible for 1,2, & 5 to be the highest, with 3 and 4 slightly lower in value, depending on the available players and team needs.


    What do you think?
    Very interesting.

    They are definately gonna have to come to grips with something as the "Draft Day Trade" is almost a joke when it comes to the top picks these days.

    I always thought that rookie salaries would be standardized and reduced instead of your proposal as a means to that end.

    A team that only needs one or two guys would then be more willing to give up picks for a player that wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg in picks and $$$ as well.

    Let me chew on it a bit more.
    Work has picked up a bit this afternoon and is distracting me a bit.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....
    Two things....

    1. The charts aren't getting thrown out.
    They will be adjusted a bit to allow teams to move up if they want.

    2.
    The draft isn't as much of a crapshoot as some contend. In fact, that is one of the most over used cliche's when it comes to the draft.

    Teams that fail to select quality talent suffer more from shooting themselves in the foot by going into the draft with without good scouting.

    If a team applies some basic scouting skills to looking at players and gets players that are targeted for open positions on the team, then they will have greater success with thier draft.

    Have you noticed the success rate of the last 2 drafts executed by the Vikings.
    Still a bit early to tell on how they kids will evolve but all of them seem to show a pretty high talent level and should be successfull players for years to come.

    Again, a crap shoot or poohie scouting.
    I say the later.
    I have a feeling that the draft charts will be more than just "adjusted".
    As the rookie contracts for top picks have gotten higher, their value has not depreciated at all in most charts - even though we have gotten to the point in which having a top five pick is almost a liability.
    I suspect that the point value difference in the top ten picks will become significantly less, and we are going to see increased value in the bottom half of the first round and second round.

    If I were to rewrite a draft chart, I would actually give the same value to each of the top five picks.
    That takes into account both talent as well as cost to secure the player.
    In some drafts, it might be possible for 1,2, & 5 to be the highest, with 3 and 4 slightly lower in value, depending on the available players and team needs.


    What do you think?
    Very interesting.

    They are definately gonna have to come to grips with something as the "Draft Day Trade" is almost a joke when it comes to the top picks these days.

    I always thought that rookie salaries would be standardized and reduced instead of your proposal as a means to that end.

    A team that only needs one or two guys would then be more willing to give up picks for a player that wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg in picks and $$$ as well.

    Let me chew on it a bit more.
    Work has picked up a bit this afternoon and is distracting me a bit.
    ;D
    I would LOVE that, but the truth is that the NFLPA will never go for it.
    The increasing rookie salary is driving up veteran salaries as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm guessing the charts are getting thrown out the window; and for good reason....

    Particularly when the draft is SUCH a crapshoot....
    Two things....

    1. The charts aren't getting thrown out.
    They will be adjusted a bit to allow teams to move up if they want.

    2.
    The draft isn't as much of a crapshoot as some contend. In fact, that is one of the most over used cliche's when it comes to the draft.

    Teams that fail to select quality talent suffer more from shooting themselves in the foot by going into the draft with without good scouting.

    If a team applies some basic scouting skills to looking at players and gets players that are targeted for open positions on the team, then they will have greater success with thier draft.

    Have you noticed the success rate of the last 2 drafts executed by the Vikings.

    Still a bit early to tell on how they kids will evolve but all of them seem to show a pretty high talent level and should be successfull players for years to come.

    Again, a crap shoot or poohie scouting.
    I say the later.
    I have a feeling that the draft charts will be more than just "adjusted".
    As the rookie contracts for top picks have gotten higher, their value has not depreciated at all in most charts - even though we have gotten to the point in which having a top five pick is almost a liability.
    I suspect that the point value difference in the top ten picks will become significantly less, and we are going to see increased value in the bottom half of the first round and second round.

    If I were to rewrite a draft chart, I would actually give the same value to each of the top five picks.
    That takes into account both talent as well as cost to secure the player.
    In some drafts, it might be possible for 1,2, & 5 to be the highest, with 3 and 4 slightly lower in value, depending on the available players and team needs.


    What do you think?
    Very interesting.

    They are definately gonna have to come to grips with something as the "Draft Day Trade" is almost a joke when it comes to the top picks these days.

    I always thought that rookie salaries would be standardized and reduced instead of your proposal as a means to that end.

    A team that only needs one or two guys would then be more willing to give up picks for a player that wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg in picks and $$$ as well.

    Let me chew on it a bit more.
    Work has picked up a bit this afternoon and is distracting me a bit.
    ;D
    I would LOVE that, but the truth is that the NFLPA will never go for it.
    The increasing rookie salary is driving up veteran salaries as well.
    Isn't there another revisit to the CBA coming up?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I would LOVE that, but the truth is that the NFLPA will never go for it.
    The increasing rookie salary is driving up veteran salaries as well.
    Isn't there another revisit to the CBA coming up?
    It is actually being revisited right now.
    Unless a majority of the owners vote to continue it into 2010, 2009 will be an uncapped year.
    This is, I am sure, one of the topics that will be brought up during it, but there is no way that the NFLPA will stand for it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    tgorsegner's Avatar
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    786

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    Here is another thought along the CBA line- what if, somewhat similar to the franchise tag, the maximum rookie salary was set at NO MORE than a specified percentile of the salaries at that position?


    VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Thoughts on the Draft After FA
    By dcboardr41 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  2. My Trade Thoughts (Vilma, Walker)
    By ajoyce in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
  3. MOVED: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 07:23 AM
  4. My thoughts on the draft
    By vikings11_27 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
  5. Thoughts on Pepper Trade...
    By FinNasty23 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 03:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •