Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    1. If they trade off both 3rd round picks, it really hurts the odds of filling all the real needs
    2. If he falls past Baltimore, who is between him and us then, and why would he not drop another 9 spots?
    I'm with this guy.

    I don't think we have the CAP to sign a bunch of FA to fix all the little holes we have.

    Gonna have to be frugal with who they sign in FA as well as use all the picks they have so that they can address every need.

    By the way, I really like your rationale and could possibly see this happening.
    Problem is that if the Tuna does stay at #1 he will probably not take a QB but rather address either his DL or OL via the draft and address his QB issues with a old Vet the way he usually does.

    I like the scenario too, very interesting. But I absolutely can't see Parcells not picking Long or Dorsey (not factoring in a trade). IMO, he'll wait to pick up a QB...given the choice, he will always go with the impact D-guy.
    Probably go with Ellis IMHO.
    Dorsey is more of a traditional 4-3 guy and Ellis is a 3-4 guy.
    Not much difference between them with respect to talent level.

    Long story short though, I would hate to have any of the first 5 picks this year.
    Talent just doesnt' equate to the money they will demand.
    I bet most of the top 5 teams are working the phones to get out of those picks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #12
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    1. If they trade off both 3rd round picks, it really hurts the odds of filling all the real needs
    2. If he falls past Baltimore, who is between him and us then, and why would he not drop another 9 spots?
    I'm with this guy.

    I don't think we have the CAP to sign a bunch of FA to fix all the little holes we have.

    Gonna have to be frugal with who they sign in FA as well as use all the picks they have so that they can address every need.

    By the way, I really like your rationale and could possibly see this happening.
    Problem is that if the Tuna does stay at #1 he will probably not take a QB but rather address either his DL or OL via the draft and address his QB issues with a old Vet the way he usually does.

    I like the scenario too, very interesting. But I absolutely can't see Parcells not picking Long or Dorsey (not factoring in a trade). IMO, he'll wait to pick up a QB...given the choice, he will always go with the impact D-guy.
    Probably go with Ellis IMHO.
    Dorsey is more of a traditional 4-3 guy and Ellis is a 3-4 guy.
    Not much difference between them with respect to talent level.

    Long story short though, I would hate to have any of the first 5 picks this year.
    Talent just doesnt' equate to the money they will demand.
    I bet most of the top 5 teams are working the phones to get out of those picks.

    Interesting...I've got him going in a little later.

    Re 1st 5 picks - agreed. But not many takers for a trade? What they'd have to give up would probably cost more in the long run.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    1. If they trade off both 3rd round picks, it really hurts the odds of filling all the real needs
    2. If he falls past Baltimore, who is between him and us then, and why would he not drop another 9 spots?
    I'm with this guy.

    I don't think we have the CAP to sign a bunch of FA to fix all the little holes we have.

    Gonna have to be frugal with who they sign in FA as well as use all the picks they have so that they can address every need.

    By the way, I really like your rationale and could possibly see this happening.
    Problem is that if the Tuna does stay at #1 he will probably not take a QB but rather address either his DL or OL via the draft and address his QB issues with a old Vet the way he usually does.

    I like the scenario too, very interesting. But I absolutely can't see Parcells not picking Long or Dorsey (not factoring in a trade). IMO, he'll wait to pick up a QB...given the choice, he will always go with the impact D-guy.
    Probably go with Ellis IMHO.
    Dorsey is more of a traditional 4-3 guy and Ellis is a 3-4 guy.
    Not much difference between them with respect to talent level.

    Long story short though, I would hate to have any of the first 5 picks this year.
    Talent just doesnt' equate to the money they will demand.
    I bet most of the top 5 teams are working the phones to get out of those picks.

    Interesting...I've got him going in a little later.

    Re 1st 5 picks - agreed. But not many takers for a trade? What they'd have to give up would probably cost more in the long run.
    I have read alot of stuff on him of late much like this but most mocks are now reflecting him in the top 5.

    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...k_Ellis/107810
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    Apparently Ellis DESTROYED people at the senior bowl.
    Reviews i read said he was basically unblockable.


    I think he is a certain top 5-6 pick especially after the Giants basically won the Super Bowl because of their front four.
    This is a copy cat league and DL will be coveted this offseason in both the draft and FA.

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    Apparently Ellis DESTROYED people at the senior bowl.
    Reviews i read said he was basically unblockable.


    I think he is a certain top 5-6 pick especially after the Giants basically won the Super Bowl because of their front four.
    This is a copy cat league and DL will be coveted this offseason in both the draft and FA.
    I first took note of him during the SB workouts that were televised.
    What a beast.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    I think it would take a lot more than the 2 3rd to move up 9 spots in the first round....


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    There is some talk about teams redoing their draft value charts to more accurately reflect the growing price tag that a top ten draft pick demands.
    Very few teams are willing to trade up using the old Jones chart or variants of it because there is WAY too much value placed on a top pick who will further hamper the team salary cap with a huge contract.


    PFT is going to be putting one of their own out that takes into account likely salary demands.
    If the teams do the same, I think it will make trading into the top five spots much more feasible.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    NOTE ON MY LAST POST:

    I am not saying that I think we should trade up.
    I am saying that it could become more feasible for teams to trade up if they want to.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #19
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    I didn't read past your first line, partially because I took issue with it and didn't think I needed to read any more.

    Parcells will not draft Matt Ryan with the #1 pick. Ryan is not a #1 draft pick. He's a good quarterback, but he'll never be Peyton Manning. Parcells would never hitch himself to one player like that. Ryan will get a TON of money if he's the first pick, and he's not worth the kind of money Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith got....but neither are Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith.

  10. #20
    BoysFan24 is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    27

    Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    I think it would take a lot more than the 2 3rd to move up 9 spots in the first round....

    You forgot about the first...

    And to say Matt Ryan won`t be Peyton Manning or he`s not like Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith (explain to me how they`re similar) isn`t fair to any one of them. He hitched himself to Drew Bledsoe and Phil Simms and got to Super Bowls...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Thoughts on the Draft After FA
    By dcboardr41 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  2. My Trade Thoughts (Vilma, Walker)
    By ajoyce in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
  3. MOVED: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 07:23 AM
  4. My thoughts on the draft
    By vikings11_27 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
  5. Thoughts on Pepper Trade...
    By FinNasty23 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 03:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •