Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BoysFan24 is offline Training Camp

Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

Just a random thought I was having...what if Chris Long would fall in the top part of the draft? Think it`s not possible? I actually thought this through and have reasons for it happening.

#1. Mia Matt Ryan...Parcells is in love and wants to put his stamp on the franchise...not a better way to start then the Franchise QB

#2. St Louis Glenn Dorsey...La`roi Glover is getting old...sorry...is old...and the Rams Def isn`t much to talk about.

#3. Atl. Darren McFadden...Ryan off the board, can wait to take their future at qb in the 2nd rd. and get their franchise RB

#4. KC Jake Long...KC`s line with all of the retirements has fallen off the map...Long would solidify the left side for whoever is playing QB for them and give LJ some running room.

#5. Oak. Sedrick Ellis...I know, I know...Chris is Howie`s kid...but with Sapp retiring and already having an elite pass rusher in Derrick Burgess, DT is more of a need then DE.

#6. NYJ Vernon Gholston...Long could be a possibility here, but they already have solid DE`s and OLB is more of a need. People are comparing Gholston to Demarcus Ware. It would be a mistake to pass up on Gholston here and give NE a chance to get him.

#7 NE Leodis McKelvin...DE isn`t a big need with the depth they have on the d-line, and with Asante Samuel most likely gone, they develop a huge hole at CB unless they`re comfortable with re-signing Randall Gay and having him start.

#8 Baltimore...here is where it gets juicy. With their two most likely picks already off the board in Matt Ryan and Jake Long, they should be looking to move out of this spot. I don`t see another CB rated high enough to be taken here. This is where Minnesota comes in...Offer Bal your First Rd. pick and both of your 3rd`s. If both 3rd`s aren`t enough, offer a 1st 2nd and 3rd knowing you have multiple 3rd rd picks.

Reasons why Baltimore could/should do it: No player available is worth taking, and it would be smart for them to stockpile picks and get the players that they want to re-build that franchise. At 17 they can take their CB, meanwhile adding multiple high round picks in the process. Ozzie Newsome knows how to evaluate talent and manage the salary cap and this would be a perfect example.

Reasons why Minnesota should do it: Pretty damn obvious...get the elite pass rusher you`ve been looking for to solidify that defense. Not too many holes on the team besides WR right now, but young guys on the roster have the ability to step up and shine in the west coast offense, not to mention the running game. Plus Jackson showed much improvement in the 2nd half of the season, so qb shouldn`t be much of an issue this high in the draft.

Just imagine the d-line...both Williams`, Long, and most likely Robison. You can`t double team them all. If protection gets shifted to Long`s side, Robison is more then capable of handling himself. Helps out your secondary alot, allowing them to not have to worry about covering receivers for more then a few seconds, and can be more aggressive in jumping slants, curls, etc that everyone`s favorite qb Brett Favre likes to throw, not to mention the one sided offense of Detroit.

Thoughts, questions, comments? Thought this would be sure to stir up some conversation. Have at it....

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Thoughts on a possible draft day trade

"BoysFan24" wrote:
    Just a random thought I was having...what if Chris Long would fall in the top part of the draft? Think it`s not possible? I actually thought this through and have reasons for it happening.

#1. Mia Matt Ryan...Parcells is in love and wants to put his stamp on the franchise...not a better way to start then the Franchise QB

#2. St Louis Glenn Dorsey...La`roi Glover is getting old...sorry...is old...and the Rams Def isn`t much to talk about.

#3. Atl. Darren McFadden...Ryan off the board, can wait to take their future at qb in the 2nd rd. and get their franchise RB

#4. KC Jake Long...KC`s line with all of the retirements has fallen off the map...Long would solidify the left side for whoever is playing QB for them and give LJ some running room.

#5. Oak. Sedrick Ellis...I know, I know...Chris is Howie`s kid...but with Sapp retiring and already having an elite pass rusher in Derrick Burgess, DT is more of a need then DE.

#6. NYJ Vernon Gholston...Long could be a possibility here, but they already have solid DE`s and OLB is more of a need. People are comparing Gholston to Demarcus Ware. It would be a mistake to pass up on Gholston here and give NE a chance to get him.

#7 NE Leodis McKelvin...DE isn`t a big need with the depth they have on the d-line, and with Asante Samuel most likely gone, they develop a huge hole at CB unless they`re comfortable with re-signing Randall g*y and having him start.

#8 Baltimore...here is where it gets juicy. With their two most likely picks already off the board in Matt Ryan and Jake Long, they should be looking to move out of this spot. I don`t see another CB rated high enough to be taken here. This is where Minnesota comes in...Offer Bal your First Rd. pick and both of your 3rd`s. If both 3rd`s aren`t enough, offer a 1st 2nd and 3rd knowing you have multiple 3rd rd picks.

Reasons why Baltimore could/should do it: No player available is worth taking, and it would be smart for them to stockpile picks and get the players that they want to re-build that franchise. At 17 they can take their CB, meanwhile adding multiple high round picks in the process. Ozzie Newsome knows how to evaluate talent and manage the salary cap and this would be a perfect example.

Reasons why Minnesota should do it: Pretty gol 'darnit obvious...get the elite pass rusher you`ve been looking for to solidify that defense. Not too many holes on the team besides WR right now, but young guys on the roster have the ability to step up and shine in the west coast offense, not to mention the running game. Plus Jackson showed much improvement in the 2nd half of the season, so qb shouldn`t be much of an issue this high in the draft.

Just imagine the d-line...both Williams`, Long, and most likely Robison. You can`t double team them all. If protection gets shifted to Long`s side, Robison is more then capable of handling himself. Helps out your secondary alot, allowing them to not have to worry about covering receivers for more then a few seconds, and can be more aggressive in jumping slants, curls, etc that everyone`s favorite qb Brett Favre likes to throw, not to mention the one sided offense of Detroit.

Thoughts, questions, comments? Thought this would be sure to stir up some conversation. Have at it....
    i have no clue what i would do if this would happen to minny.
    1. we would have to hope Miami and NYJ pass up on him, those two outta the 1st 8 scare me the most on drafting him
    2. i dunno if the vikes organization would pull this off, they are known more for being "late" on a pick then making a huge trade on draft day.
    but if this were to happen, i think id pass out, our d line would be set, then in the 2nd rd we can either go S if we dont sign a FA, CB if we move Cedric to S, or WR to give Rice a running mate, good post young sir.

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"BoysFan24" wrote:

#7 NE Leodis McKelvin...DE isn`t a big need with the depth they have on the d-line, and with Asante Samuel most likely gone, they develop a huge hole at CB unless they`re comfortable with re-signing Randall Gay and having him start.

Reasons why Minnesota should do it: Pretty damn obvious...get the elite pass rusher you`ve been looking for to solidify that defense. Not too many holes on the team besides WR right now, but young guys on the roster have the ability to step up and shine in the west coast offense, not to mention the running game. Plus Jackson showed much improvement in the 2nd half of the season, so qb shouldn`t be much of an issue this high in the draft.

Nice post!
    Very interesting...although I thought you were a "boys" fan...
    What are you doing spending that much thought and consideration on a Vikings draft day trade?

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

1. If they trade off both 3rd round picks, it really hurts the odds of filling all the real needs
    2. If he falls past Baltimore, who is between him and us then, and why would he not drop another 9 spots?

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

BoysFan24 is offline Training Camp

Best friend (person who first responded) is a Vikings fan and just randomly thinking about it...I`d like to know and talk about as much as possible so I`m knowledgable in more then one area or team anyway.

Think Denver might? Think someone else wouldn`t try to trade up for him?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    1. If they trade off both 3rd round picks, it really hurts the odds of filling all the real needs
    2. If he falls past Baltimore, who is between him and us then, and why would he not drop another 9 spots?
    I'd be willing to sacrifice 2 3rds for BoysFan's proposal...question is would that scenerio fall into our lap, and would they be willing to make the trade...

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

It is a nice thought, but I also wouldn't be surprised if another team (like the Jags or Skins) tried to move up to get him.
    Interesting thoughts though.
    Nice post.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    I'm with this guy.

I don't think we have the CAP to sign a bunch of FA to fix all the little holes we have.
    Gonna have to be frugal with who they sign in FA as well as use all the picks they have so that they can address every need.

By the way, I really like your rationale and could possibly see this happening.
    Problem is that if the Tuna does stay at #1 he will probably not take a QB but rather address either his DL or OL via the draft and address his QB issues with a old Vet the way he usually does.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    I'm with this guy.

I don't think we have the CAP to sign a bunch of FA to fix all the little holes we have.

Gonna have to be frugal with who they sign in FA as well as use all the picks they have so that they can address every need.

By the way, I really like your rationale and could possibly see this happening.
    Problem is that if the Tuna does stay at #1 he will probably not take a QB but rather address either his DL or OL via the draft and address his QB issues with a old Vet the way he usually does.

I like the scenario too, very interesting. But I absolutely can't see Parcells not picking Long or Dorsey (not factoring in a trade). IMO, he'll wait to pick up a QB...given the choice, he will always go with the impact D-guy.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ryan is not going #1.
    Unless he has an amazing combine, he is not even a top ten pick.
    Long, OTOH, most surely is.
    I don't see him dropping out of the top five.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast