Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Thomas Jones and Ashley Lelie to swap teams in a trade????

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2532028

In an apparent effort to address a tailback position that features plenty of depth but no proven starter, the Denver Broncos recently approached the Chicago Bears about the availability of six-year veteran runner Thomas Jones, ESPN.com has learned.

The bait dangled by the Broncos in their efforts to upgrade at tailback: Disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who boycotted the team's offseason workouts and who may not report to camp when the Broncos begin practicing on Friday.

Denver was rebuffed by the Bears but the inquiry offers at least circumstantial evidence that the Broncos may not feel comfortable with their options at tailback. Ironically, Jones suffered a strained hamstring on Thursday as he was taking a pre-training camp exam and the Bears placed him on the league's physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Chicago officials said Jones will be evaluated daily. Because he is on the active PUP list, Jones can begin practicing in camp as soon as he passes a physical.

The Broncos released veteran tailback Mike Anderson, their leading rusher in 2005, for salary cap reasons this spring, and he signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a free agent. That left Denver with three tailbacks -- former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, speedster Tatum Bell and second-year veteran Cedric Cobbs -- vying for playing time. Denver officials have said they are satisfied with that group, but the inquiry about Jones might indicate otherwise.

The top three backs on the Broncos' depth chart have totaled only 15 regular-season starts. Dayne, the most experienced of the trio, has started only three games in the last four seasons and has logged just 105 carries over the past three years. Bell has only one career start and Cobbs has appeared in just four outings.

A first-round pick of the Cardinals in 2000, Jones has resurrected his career since leaving Arizona after the 2002 season and has been especially productive since signing with the Bears in 2004. In Jones' two years in Chicago, he has rushed for 2,283 yards and 16 touchdowns and in 2005 became the only Bears player besides Walter Payton to gain 1,300 yards in a season.

Bears officials said earlier this week that Jones and last year's first-round choice, Cedric Benson, would rotate at tailback. But the hamstring injury suffered Thursday figures to sideline Jones for a few days and might give Denver officials pause about making another effort to pry him free. Jones has two years left on his contract, at base salaries of $2.25 million each in 2006 and 2007, and would like to have his contract enhanced. It's believed that Jones, 28, would welcome a trade

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Thomas Jones and Ashley Lelie to swap teams in a trade??

The trade would make a lot of sense for both teams. The Broncos have already addressed their WR position and have no need for Lelie to stick around and be a distraction, and the Bears drafted Benson for a reason. Thomas Jones wants to be an exclusive back, so why not swap the guys?
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Jones would be an absolute stud running behind that line in Denver.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Thomas Jones and Ashley Lelie to swap teams in a trade????

If the Bears traded Thomas Jones that would make Cedric Benson the undisputed #1 back in Chicago..

And I would be able to rub it in the faces of all the guys in my NFL Fantasy Football league after they chastised me for taking him! Muahahahaha!

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"Benet" wrote:
    If the Bears traded Thomas Jones that would make Cedric Benson the undisputed #1 back in Chicago..

And I would be able to rub it in the faces of all the guys in my NFL Fantasy Football league after they chastised me for taking him! Muahahahaha!
    Out of curiosity, are you in a FF league with a bunch of americans, or is it a brit league? I've always been curious as to whether or not the fantasy sports craze is big in Europe or not.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Bears | Jones has no comment about trade possibilities
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:43:00 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones had no comment about the possibility the team may look to trade him. "As far as the trade situation, I really don't have a comment on that,' Jones said. "Those are things that aren't important. I'm here at training camp trying to get ready. I love playing with these guys. It's been a great experience since I've been here.' Jones is scheduled to earn $2.25 million this year and in 2007 before his four-year deal expires. When the prospect of a trade was broached in a different way, Jones was asked if he wanted to be here if he didn't win the starting job, he followed his own advice and basically kept his mouth shut.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you in a FF league with a bunch of americans, or is it a brit league? I've always been curious as to whether or not the fantasy sports craze is big in Europe or not.
    It's an American league.

On NFL.com to be precise. We have fantasy leagues over here, but they're predominantly for the Premiership. Every national newspaper has one, and just like NFL fantasy leagues, it's as though there's a million websites that operate fantasy leagues for the Premiership. I only go on the official Premierleague.com fantasy league because I do a private league with my friends from uni each year.

The NFL.com league I'm in is a random league, although I'm pretty sure it's set up by an English guy (the league name is a reference to an obscure British game show based on the game of darts).