Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Third Down Defense

A defense that can stop the offense on third downs is very important (duh!)
    Think about it! Every NFL defense works hard to get its opponent to third down, but if they aren't successful on third down, all their efforts were for nothing, and the offense will eventually score on you. Excuse me for not being original, but it's not exactly rocket science.
    The 3rd down is a little different from the 2nd and 1st because the offense is much more likely going to pass. This opens things up for the pass rusher and alot of the times, a nickelback replaces a linebacker.

The Vikings are great on 1st and 2nd downs cause we have been the superior run stopping team in the last 3 years, and that is most likely not going to change in 2009. However, we are "only" average against the pass. That's why I thought we might not be so good on third downs... I was wrong!

According to NFL.com, here are the top 10 third down defenses from the 2008 season:

Team

Third down Pct.
    Total sacks
    Sacks/drop back

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

t-3.
    Minnesota

t-3.
    Baltimore

Chicago

Tennessee

Washington

Dallas

Buffalo

Miami

After looking at those stats, I have to admitt. I did not believe that the Vikings were that good on 3rd downs.

Here's an article about the 3rd down defense, and which teams are the top 10 third down defenses in NFL:
    [size=14pt]Breaking down 'the money down' for NFL defenses[/size]
    By Pat Kirwan
    |
    NFL.com

link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

8. Minnesota Vikings
    The Vikings are well known for their run defense but they also finished third in third-down defense last year, holding opponents to a 33.5 percent success rate. Minnesota creates its opportunities by forcing third-and-long situations.

DE Jared Allen changed everything for this defense on third downs. When teams work their protections to him, Kevin Williams becomes a big factor in the middle of the line. If the Williams wall misses the first four games, things will be tough on the Vikings defense. Last year they produced a sack once every 12.7 drop backs, which made them a top-five rush unit.

In the secondary, Darren Sharper is gone and that affects the depth and experience at safety. It would be the story of the year if Kenechi Udeze can return from Leukemia to be a factor. Udeze told me last week that he feels he can contribute in 2009.
    I think that the Vikings might be even better than this. We have:
    » Perhaps the best pass rusher in the NFL = Jared Allen
    » A wave of rushers that can keep the unit fresh.
    » Maybe the best rusher inside to collapse the pocket = Kevin Williams
    » A nickelback who can take on a slot receiver or blitz = Antoine Winfield (we usually moves him to the inside)

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Third Down Defense

Add EJ back into the mix

Should only help

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

I'm surprised we're that high too..awesome. Probably just seems worse than it is because giving up 3rd downs, especially 3rd and 6+ is SO frustrating.

I'm not surprised at all that Pittsburgh and Philly are 1 and 2. If we're slightly below them and right with Baltimore, that's excellent company!
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Tad7" wrote:
    I'm surprised we're that high too..awesome. Probably just seems worse than it is because giving up 3rd downs, especially 3rd and 6+ is SO frustrating.

I'm not surprised at all that Pittsburgh and Philly are 1 and 2. If we're slightly below them and right with Baltimore, that's excellent company!
    The Eagles and Steelers are definitely no surprise. I thought the Giants were going to be in the top 5 at least, but then I remembered that they got really unlucky last year with injuries and stuff. They should be back in the mix this year though.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Too bad we can't play against T-Jack every week... We would be number one!
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The addition of EJ, subtraction of Sharpe and if M-will can play a full season might help, however, I don't think the Vikes will be number be better, in fact, statistically, my guess is they will be worse.

Rationale:

a.
    We get into 3rd and longs because the Williams boys shut it down on 1rst downs forcing second and long/3rd and long situations.

b.
    That asset(s) won't be there for 4 games.
    That alone will hurt, however, the extra reps our DT's will have to take will probably rear its ugly head late in the season, to include possible injuries to one of our backup DT's.

What could help, that one has to consider, is better QB play.
    If our OL protects, our WR's can get off the line and our QB can make the correct read and follow-on throw, we should be able to convert a few more 3rd downs than we did last year, thus, keeping the offense on the field, the defense off the field, which will help both items a) and b) above.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good link.

That just goes to show our defense did a fine job of getting the offense back on the field last year. One can only hope that this year the offense can decrease it's number of 3 and outs and put some more 6's on the board.

I wonder what the ranking for our 3rd down offense was.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Let us have a look at the list and see what we have and what we don't

» A premier pass rusher that forces the protection to slide to him.
    » A very effective rusher on the opposite side, who can take advantage of the single block.
    » A wave of rushers that can keep the unit fresh.
    » A power rusher inside to collapse a pocket.
    » A nickelback who can take a slot receiver or blitz.
    » A matchup corner that can handle an elite receiver.
    » A creative coach that knows when rush or drop back in coverage.
    » A front office that knows how to find the talent to build an effective third-down unit.
    We have most of the elements, as from the colour coding, but not all are green lights, in my opinion.

Since this is a NFL topic, I will talk about the other teams.

I think the team that can do all of those things might actually be the Jets. I would say the titans, but no longer have the middle push. The giants can do it, but might not have the depth. Steelers are the steelers. Ravens are not as strong as last year because of the personal loses. Eagles have the coaching, but no Dawkins or Lito.

But the team I voted for is the Chargers. Because of the 3-4, the creativity comes naturally in the scheming. Merriod is coming back and will dominate. Cro is amazing. And it seems as though it does not matter who they plug in to their D-line because the linebackers are just running wild.
    We're bringing purple back.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The addition of EJ, subtraction of Sharpe and if M-will can play a full season might help, however, I don't think the Vikes will be number be better, in fact, statistically, my guess is they will be worse.

Rationale:

a.
    We get into 3rd and longs because the Williams boys shut it down on 1rst downs forcing second and long/3rd and long situations.

b.
    That asset(s) won't be there for 4 games.
    That alone will hurt, however, the extra reps our DT's will have to take will probably rear its ugly head late in the season, to include possible injuries to one of our backup DT's.

What could help, that one has to consider, is better QB play.
    If our OL protects, our WR's can get off the line and our QB can make the correct read and follow-on throw, we should be able to convert a few more 3rd downs than we did last year, thus, keeping the offense on the field, the defense off the field, which will help both items a) and b) above.

This statment is why I can't understand why ou blame the defense fr the colts loss. I knew the Vikes were that
    good on 3rd down. I rememmber so many 3rd and shorts where we shut down the offense and got off the field. Our defense was amazing last season and won us so many games. I hope we are as ood wit the rookie back teir playing the deep half.
    He is going to need a lot of refinment from last year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"gamecocksbaseball31" wrote:
    Too bad we can't play against T-Jack every week... We would be number one!

;D
    Really? Hmmmm, you might want to rethink that!

DOWN = 3 OVERALL

QB
    COMP
    ATT
    PCT
    YDS
    YDS/ATT TD INT SCK SCK YDS RTG RUSH
    YDS

AVG
    TD
    TJ 26

63 280

BF

92 146

63 904

Jackson had the same completion % as Favre, gained more yards per attempt, had far more TD's per attempt, had 0 INT's to Favre's 1 INT per 16 attempts, a much higher QB rating & gained more rushing yards per attempt.

Favre had fewer sacks per attempt.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast