Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Texans sign WR Bethel Johnson

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I agree its a shame we didn't keep him. He is at least better than McMullen.
    McMullen
    Rec Yds

Avg
    Long TD
    307 13.3

Bethel

156 17.3

Numbers sure prove that one.

Additionally, I believe he did sign with Philly but was released later after he failed a physical or something like that.
    Injury issues, lack of production at WR might have been the reason why he was released by the Vikes.

Briefly mentioned here as well aluded to in the first article.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/395995

yeah, thats real fair because they got the same amount of playing time and everything, not to mention McMullen is a possession receiver and Johnson is more of a deep threat. Considering where Johnson was drafted and where McMullen was, its pretty clear who in underacheiving between the two. The bottom line is that Childress wants "his guys" and for some stupid reason McMullen is his guy and Johnson isn't. The same can be said about the rest of the receivers we let go this year.
    Good points V however........

what kindof WR do you want on the roster when you are trying to execute/run the WCO?

A deep threat or a possesion guy?

I would say that they both have a role, but, the possesion guy is gonna have a more prevelant role resulting in the staff (not just B-chill) filling the roster with guys that fit the scheme.

Now if we were still running a offense with "The Randy Ratio" approach to chucking it deep every play then I would say we would want the deep threat guy.

Again, it all comes back to scheme.
    That is where we will always disagree.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    According to many on this site, he was the saviour.
    What will we do?
    All the stars seemed to be in alignment for one game then, poof!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    McMullen
    Rec Yds

Avg
    Long TD
    307 13.3

Bethel

156 17.3

Additionally, I believe he did sign with Philly but was released later after he failed a physical or something like that.
    Injury issues, lack of production at WR might have been the reason why he was released by the Vikes.

yeah, thats real fair because they got the same amount of playing time and everything, not to mention McMullen is a possession receiver and Johnson is more of a deep threat. Considering where Johnson was drafted and where McMullen was, its pretty clear who in underacheiving between the two. The bottom line is that Childress wants "his guys" and for some stupid reason McMullen is his guy and Johnson isn't. The same can be said about the rest of the receivers we let go this year.

what kindof WR do you want on the roster when you are trying to execute/run the WCO?

I would say that they both have a role, but, the possesion guy is gonna have a more prevelant role resulting in the staff (not just B-chill) filling the roster with guys that fit the scheme.

Now if we were still running a offense with "The Randy Ratio" approach to chucking it deep every play then I would say we would want the deep threat guy.

It is fun though isn't it?
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=35640.msg601112#msg601112 date=1184031581]
    McMullen
    Rec Yds

Avg
    Long TD
    307 13.3

Bethel

156 17.3

It is fun though isn't it?
    ;D
    [/quote]

Knowing that we have a coach that will pass on a talented player because "he doesn't fit the scheme" is not fun.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"V" wrote:

Knowing that we have a coach that will pass on a talented player because "he doesn't fit the scheme" is not fun.
    Why blow investments and resources on a player that doesn't fit our scheme?

Wouldn't the wiser move be to hold out and get the right player?

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

He took his two Super Bowl rings with
    him too.
    Wonder why Belichick ever traded him.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    He took his two Super Bowl rings with
    him too.
    Wonder why Belichick ever traded him.
    He gambled that Jonathan Sullivan didn't completely suck, he was wrong.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

No, the wiser move would be to adjust your scheme to maximize the productivity of talented player you just got.

For example: we all expect us to run more with the addition of AD. To do that you have to change the scheme from last year, when we passed 55% of the time. If we do run more, we should be more successful on offense. That is what you call putting your players in the best position to make big plays and win the game for you.

Childress on the other hand, took a solid player like Jermaine Wiggins and saw him as useless because "he didn't fit the scheme." Wiggins' productivity dropped because the coach was unwilling to change his scheme to fit in our best pass catcher when we were having problems catching the ball.

Are Shiancoe, Wade, Rice, and Allison better than Wiggins, Robinson, Taylor, and Johnson?

They might be in the future, but right now certainly not. We are just going to have to run more.

- Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

No, the wiser move would be to adjust your scheme to maximize the productivity of talented player you just got.

For example: we all expect us to run more with the addition of AD. To do that you have to change the scheme from last year, when we passed 55% of the time. If we do run more, we should be more successful on offense. That is what you call putting your players in the best position to make big plays and win the game for you.

Childress on the other hand, took a solid player like Jermaine Wiggins and saw him as useless because "he didn't fit the scheme." Wiggins' productivity dropped because the coach was unwilling to change his scheme to fit in our best pass catcher when we were having problems catching the ball.

Are Shiancoe, Wade, Rice, and Allison better than Wiggins, Robinson, Taylor, and Johnson?

They might be in the future, but right now certainly not. We are just going to have to run more.

If we kept the same WR corps as last year i already would have splattered my brains everywhere. Change is good. We can only go up.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    According to many on this site, he was the saviour.
    What will we do?
    I have already begun to worship Bobby Wade.
    He is the one true messiah you all will see after the season of the reckoning.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast