Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    Bush will command a bigger contract than Edge. Remember how much Alex Smith got last year? $50 million with $25 million guaranteed or something like that.. It's got to the point where the first overall pick gets the most money in the NFL, bar none.

    And Adamv is right, the Texans are just sounding out on the #1 pick because they think by saying their considering offers they'll start an auction for it and make teams give up loads of their own picks to move up. Like the Ricky Williams trade of 1999.

  2. #12
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    Personally, I think we can build a championship type team without spending the big bucks on a 1st round #1 pick...

    I've always been worried about those, they can turn into expensive busts....


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  3. #13
    ChezPizmo's Avatar
    ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    705

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    Anyone know if we have made any offers?

    With all the "Culpepper shopping", we might already have.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."


    [size=8pt]


    -John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

  4. #14
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    Exactly Ned.. Way too much money for someone who could be a bust..

    We are in good position to make a push at the championship.. New coaching staff and a few upgrades on the O side of the ball and we will make it soon

  5. #15
    jhirchak1's Avatar
    jhirchak1 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    128

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    "ChezPizmo" wrote:
    Anyone know if we have made any offers?

    With all the "Culpepper shopping", we might already have.
    Texans wouldn't want Culpepper. Just signed Carr to an extension. Plus, who knows what would happen to his knee behind that TEXANS o-line!

  6. #16
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    "Benet" wrote:
    Bush will command a bigger contract than Edge. Remember how much Alex Smith got last year? $50 million with $25 million guaranteed or something like that.. It's got to the point where the first overall pick gets the most money in the NFL, bar none.

    And Adamv is right, the Texans are just sounding out on the #1 pick because they think by saying their considering offers they'll start an auction for it and make teams give up loads of their own picks to move up. Like the Ricky Williams trade of 1999.

    The difference being that we have a smart owner, and a smart head coach. The 40 whiners were stupid for giving him such a huge contract when he never proved himself at the pro level. I wouldn't give any rookie that much of a guaranteed contract when he hasn't done anything at the NFL level.

    With that said. I would rather give someone like Edgerrin James a nice contract versus Reggie Bush, only for the simple fact that Edge has already proven himself in the NFL. He is a dominating back, and how do we know if Bush will be a stud in the NFL? For all we know, he could be a bust at the pro level.

  7. #17
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    This rumor gets started every year ... and the only years trades actually happen is when there is no rumor for it (The Bengals getting Carter, the Falcons getting Vick).
    Anyways ... I dont see us making a move ... and I don't think the Texans will get a sweet enough offer to let a talent like Bush go elsewhere.

  8. #18
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    The difference being that we have a smart owner, and a smart head coach. The 40 whiners were stupid for giving him such a huge contract when he never proved himself at the pro level. I wouldn't give any rookie that much of a guaranteed contract when he hasn't done anything at the NFL level.

    With that said. I would rather give someone like Edgerrin James a nice contract versus Reggie Bush, only for the simple fact that Edge has already proven himself in the NFL. He is a dominating back, and how do we know if Bush will be a stud in the NFL? For all we know, he could be a bust at the pro level.
    It doesn't matter who the head coach or owner is, the first overall player picked is going to get a HUGE contract whatever happens. The way draft picks are signed now, there has to be an increase year-on-year compared to last year's draft, and the 49'ers did only what was expected of them: Alex Smith's deal represented a 20% increase in guaranteed money over Eli Manning, who got 25% more in gurantees than Carson Palmer did in his rookie deal.

    So the team who uses the #1 pick this year will probably pay out 20-25% more in guarantees for whoever they choose than Alex Smith got last year.

  9. #19
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    Tell them that we will give them the rights to Herschel Walker for the #1 pick...and Andre Johnson and David Carr! LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  10. #20
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Texans listening to offers for the 1st overall pick!!

    There are very few times when someone of Reggie Bush's talent comes along. He is a game changer - just like another old Viking, Randy Moss.

    If I were owner, knowing we don't have that many holes to fix, I'd see what it would take to get Mr. Bush.

    We'll fill the remaining holes in FA.

    "No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Texans trade 6th round pick to Broncos for C Chris Myers
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM
  2. What have you been listening to lately?
    By vikes2456 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 05:19 AM
  3. No. 7 pick offers many scenarios for Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
  4. Listening to salami
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 03:53 AM
  5. Texans exercise Carr option...Bush probably 1st pick now!
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 07:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •