Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Texans to fire head coach Dom Capers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277168

Jan. 1, 2006
    Sources: Texans to fire Capers
    ESPN.com news services

Houston Texans coach Dom Capers will be fired on Monday, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Even though team consultant Dan Reeves wouldn't mind becoming the Texans' next coach, owner Bob McNair will look harder at offensive coordinators like Denver's Gary Kubiak and San Diego's Cam Cameron with Iowa's Kirk Ferentz on everybody's radar, Mortensen reported.

McNair made it clear when hiring Reeves that Reeves was not interviewing to be coach of the Texans, nor was he brought in to critique Capers or general manager Charley Casserly.

"He's here as a resource to assist me as we go forward and to assist the other people in our organization to help us be a better team," McNair said.

McNair said he hired Reeves to get an outside opinion of his organization and that he would spend time talking with coaches, watching practice and reviewing game film.

Upon joining the Texans, Reeves wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to coaching ("Never is a bad word to say") but said he wasn't actively looking for a sideline job.

Capers is the only coach the expansion Texans have had during their four-year existence, and the club has a 17-44 record under his stewardship.

Until this year, Houston (1-12) had been a model of steady improvement, winning seven games last season after winning five in 2003 and four in its first season

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Texans to fire head coach Dom Capers

I and pretty much everybody in the world expected this to happen. This one was common sense.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

big surprise hey? i dont think anyone would want to coach this team
    We're bringing purple back.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Will the Texans win the Reggie Bowl? Not if the Niners can help it.

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

thats no surprise to me it was destine to happen

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Don Capers, maybe the XFL can start back up and you could coach a team in that league. Otherwise, your probably gonna dissapeer off the NFL radar.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Don Capers, maybe the XFL can start back up and you could coach a team in that league. Otherwise, your probably gonna dissapeer off the NFL radar.
    The same could be said of Loney
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

lmao Hovan, Agreed

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Texans coach Dom Capers Fired!!!

HOUSTON -- Dom Capers was fired as coach of the Texans after Houston finished the season with the league's worst record, players said Monday.

Capers told the players at a morning meeting he had been let go. He was accompanied by owner Bob McNair, several players said.

"It was emotional; it was difficult," said offensive lineman Steve McKinney. "I felt sorry for him."

The Texans will keep general manager Charley Casserly, a person close to the organization told The Associated Press on Sunday. The Texans planned to make the announcement Monday, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Houston's season ended Sunday with a 20-17 overtime loss in San Francisco that left the Texans with a 2-14 record -- the worst in the team's four-season history.

Capers had one year remaining on a five-year contract worth $9.5 million. Asked about his status after the game, he said: "Those decisions are beyond my control. I always tell the players to focus on the things you can control."

He called the team's season "extremely difficult."

"You don't want to have years like this," Capers said. "I told the guys, you have to learn from this."

After the game, McNair said he would "make some announcements [Monday] of where we're going in the future."

While team consultant Dan Reeves wouldn't mind becoming the Texans' next coach, McNair will look closely at offensive coordinators like Denver's Gary Kubiak and San Diego's Cam Cameron, with Iowa's Kirk Ferentz likely on the radar of teams who have or will have openings, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

McNair made it clear when hiring Reeves that Reeves was not interviewing to be coach of the Texans, nor was he brought in to critique Capers or Casserly.

"He's here as a resource to assist me as we go forward and to assist the other people in our organization to help us be a better team," McNair said.

McNair said he hired Reeves to get an outside opinion of his organization and that he would spend time talking with coaches, watching practice and reviewing game film.

Upon joining the Texans, Reeves wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to coaching ("Never is a bad word to say") but said he wasn't actively looking for a sideline job.

The firing would mark the second time the 55-year-old Capers has been released from an expansion team in its fourth season. He was let go by the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

His plan for building for team worked well until this season. The Texans won seven games last season after winning five in 2003 and four in their first season.

When asked to grade his performance with the Texans, Capers said: "That decision is not for me to make. I felt like we made some progress the first three years and then this was a disappointing year."

"There's no question in my mind we played better in the second half of the season than the first half," he added. "But we haven't won football games and that's your job."

Houston opened this season 0-6 before beating Cleveland and then losing six more. The Texans defeated Arizona and then lost their last two games. They own the top pick in the April draft.

Capers was hailed as an expansion wizard after leading Carolina to seven wins in its first season and the NFC title game in the team's second year in 1996. The feat earned him NFL Coach of the Year honors.

Things went downhill from there and Capers was fired after the Panthers went 4-12 in 1998. When the Texans hired him in 2001, he said he hoped fans would be patient as they slowly built the program after he failed in Carolina following early success.

"You have to be careful and stay with your step-by-step program," Capers told the AP in 2001. "Then, you have to have the courage to stick with it and not sacrifice the future for the quick fix."

He worked for two years as defensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars before he was hired by the Texans in January 2001.

His first pro job came when he joined Jim Mora's staff with Philadelphia in the USFL. Capers made it to the NFL in 1986 when he went with Mora to New Orleans. He became defensive coordinator at Pittsburgh in 1992 before he was hired in Carolina in 1995.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

This is not unexpected. Too bad for him. He worked so hard all year to get that Reggie Bush pick and now he doesn't even get to coach him.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast