Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    More unfounded rumors to sell ad space and make money off of fans who are looking for ANY tidbits of news.
    And if the story were about the Vikings, the masses would be lapping it up like fresh milk from momma's teet.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #12
    BradTheMan14 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    214

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    those bastards i wish we would make a move for calvin johnson
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

  3. #13
    BritishVike's Avatar
    BritishVike is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    143

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    I wish we could make a move for CJ as well, but reality hits me and i realise that a team is not built around one player. If we were to move up it would be too expensive and we have too many wholes to fill. The depth at decent WR's is deep so i say stick at #7 and get BPA or trade down and let someone else have CJ
    :'( as much as it hurts me to say it.

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    1 =
    3000

    4 =
    1800
    35 =
    550
    64 =
    270
    68 =
    250



    +____


    =
    2870

    Doing math in public isn't my forte' however, it just doesn't add up.
    Seems to me (using the value chart I have) that the value doesn't add up.
    They would probably have to give another pick this year or at least a conditional pick next year.

    You would at least think the writer would have worked this out better
    if in fact it is true.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    1 =
    3000

    4 =
    1800
    35 =
    550
    64 =
    270
    68 =
    250



    +____


    =
    2870

    Doing math in public isn't my forte' however, it just doesn't add up.
    Seems to me (using the value chart I have) that the value doesn't add up.
    They would probably have to give another pick this year or at least a conditional pick next year.

    You would at least think the writer would have worked this out better
    if in fact it is true.
    ;D
    The actual value charts used vary both by year and by team, according to needs and the current players in the draft.
    The popular ones we see on the internet are just averages or approximations.
    It is entirely possible that hte charts TB or Oakland use have those trades adding up.

    Still a stupid move IMHO.
    I actually hope they do it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    1 =

    3000

    4 =

    1800
    35 =

    550
    64 =

    270
    68 =

    250




    +____



    =
    2870

    Doing math in public isn't my forte' however, it just doesn't add up.
    Seems to me (using the value chart I have) that the value doesn't add up.
    They would probably have to give another pick this year or at least a conditional pick next year.

    You would at least think the writer would have worked this out better
    if in fact it is true.
    ;D
    The actual value charts used vary both by year and by team, according to needs and the current players in the draft.
    The popular ones we see on the internet are just averages or approximations.
    It is entirely possible that hte charts TB or Oakland use have those trades adding up.

    Still a stupid move IMHO.
    I actually hope they do it.
    See why I don't do math in public.
    ;D

    I hear ya and agree that value charts differ, however, it is (by draft value standards) a significant difference.
    For that reason I say it doesn't add up and is probably false no matter what chart you use.

    I agree it would be stupid also.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    1 =

    3000

    4 =

    1800
    35 =

    550
    64 =

    270
    68 =

    250




    +____



    =
    2870

    Doing math in public isn't my forte' however, it just doesn't add up.
    Seems to me (using the value chart I have) that the value doesn't add up.
    They would probably have to give another pick this year or at least a conditional pick next year.

    You would at least think the writer would have worked this out better
    if in fact it is true.
    ;D
    The trade would involve Tampa Bay's first-, second-, and third-round picks, plus the second-round pick they acquired in a trade with the Colts. Although that trade would, according to the chart teams use to assess draft picks, be a better deal for Tampa Bay than for Oakland, I think the Raiders would be crazy to turn that deal down. Oakland needs help everywhere on offense, and adding four first-day rookies would provide that help more than the No. 1 overall pick would.
    Ignoring the chart values it would mean the Raiders having a first, two seconds and a third round pick. On balance a lot of people could consider that a good return for the Raiders, just a question of whether you want a team of good players or a team of average players with maybe one star player IMO.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    Any chart that is used by any team would be a guideline only.
    If the numbers are close to a match in value, most teams will consumate the deal because they know each player is unique and the chart is an approximation of value.

    If draft value charts were assumed to be 'binding and accurate valuations of player worth', the contracts signed by players drafted in particular slots would be mandated by their draft slot.
    That practice is followed only in the lower part of the first round, i.e. top 15-20, and even then, salaries and signing bonuses are not exactly correlated with the charts' values.
    Players drafted in later rounds are usually paid according to their perceived value to their team.

    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  9. #19
    Mr. Purple's Avatar
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,005

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    Tampa is a franchise in panic mode right now.Gruden is pretty much done there after this year, unless he goes DEEP in the playoffs.( I mean deep) Gruden is crazy enough to trade the whole city for CJ.

    The Bucs as a team tho are not one WR away from the playoffs.They have so many ageing players on thier roster.They need to go for some defensive players, but they wont.Gruden will take a team that is rebuilding, and run them into the ground.(Cap Wise ext. Cato June)

    Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

  10. #20
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Tampa Bay talking trading up for Calvin Johnson?

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Any chart that is used by any team would be a guideline only.
    If the numbers are close to a match in value, most teams will consumate the deal because they know each player is unique and the chart is an approximation of value.

    If draft value charts were assumed to be 'binding and accurate valuations of player worth', the contracts signed by players drafted in particular slots would be mandated by their draft slot.

    That practice is followed only in the lower part of the first round, i.e. top 15-20, and even then, salaries and signing bonuses are not exactly correlated with the charts' values.
    Players drafted in later rounds are usually paid according to their perceived value to their team.

    I think this is what Purp is trying to say in Purpspeak
    ;D

    The actual value charts used vary both by year and by team, according to needs and the current players in the draft.
    The popular ones we see on the internet are just averages or approximations .
    It is entirely possible that hte charts TB or Oakland use have those trades adding up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Calvin Johnson Signing
    By ejmat in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 08:26 AM
  2. Other than Calvin Johnson
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
  3. Are you willing to trade up to #3 to get Calvin Johnson?
    By defensiveplaymaker1 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
  4. Calvin Johnson video
    By VikesFan787 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:30 PM
  5. CALVIN JOHNSON!!!
    By lilvikes33 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •