Thread: Tampa 2 Defense

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tampa 2 Defense

I was watching the NFL Network tonight and they had on a very interesting show about the Tampa 2 defense.
    It was a round table discussion with Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, and Herman Edwards (all of whom were defensive coaches under Dungy).
    What stuck me most about the program was that there is no "secret" to the Tampa 2 defense. Everyone on the opposing team know what they are going to do and who's got what assignment. The key to it all is doing your job better than the guy you are facing and not worry about your teammates. Everyone has a job to do and if you all do your job it works. But if one guy messes up it doesn't work. You have to be a "team" and be best friends with your fellow defensive players. There are no stars and no rookies. You play as a team.
    This was emphasized over and over again by all the coaches who are all playing the Tampa 2. They all said it is the easiest defense to play. No tricks up their sleeves. What you play is what you practice.
    The other things that surprised me is that every coach agreed that it takes 2 YEARS for the defense to really work and to get out of everyone mind-set that they must cover for their neighbor if he screws up. Simply take care of your assignment and it all comes together.

Did anyone else see it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Tampa 2 Defense

It's on again at 2:30 eastern i just checked. I don't think I'll make it though.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

It's amazing that the first season of installment, we had the #1 rush defense in the nfl...and nearly the #1 of all time.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i was skeptical at first when we adopted this system, i feel much better now though
    ;D

Thanks josdin00

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks COJO.
    I missed that.

That is a great point about the Tampa 2 and how easy it is to play.
    With it being the easiest to play it still takes 2 years to install.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

Wonder why people can't understand that a scheme isn't just thrown in and the players run it (i.e. Zone Blocking).

Whenever I hear people make that statement I automatically assume they have never strapped it on and played at any level.
    If they had, they would know better.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks COJO.
    I missed that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

Wonder why people can't understand that a scheme isn't just thrown in and the players run it (i.e. Zone Blocking).

Whenever I hear people make that statement I automatically assume they have never strapped it on and played at any level.
    :
    The time factor seems to be in selling it to the players and have them worry only about their assignment and no one elses. And getting them to all play together with no consideration that some players are better than others. That they are all the best at their position.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks COJO.
    I missed that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

:
    The time factor seems to be in selling it to the players and have them worry only about their assignment and no one elses. And getting them to all play together with no consideration that some players are better than others. That they are all the best at their position.
    I agree COJO, however, some on here contend that schemes are just put in with no impact on execution.

Others will say that if you inherit a team that doesn't fit the scheme you should change your scheme, keep the crappy players that couldn't win with that scheme and keep running the same shitty scheme that hasn't worked for years.

Utter confusion on thier part is what I say.
    Just trying to explain that concept in one paragraph makes my head hurt.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg