singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Take it easy, fans, it won't be long now

[size=18px]Take it easy, fans, it won't be long now [/size]

Changes during off-season give some optimism, some reasons to be worried

Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Jul. 2, 2006 12:00 AM

The NFL Network has been showing a documentary on Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader auditions, and rumor has that New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin hasn't slept in the office in days.

So, yes, this must be the off-season in the NFL.

The draft and free agency are long over, and most minicamps were through weeks ago. There is little for fans to do other than read preview magazines and wonder whether that prospective Bucs cheerleader did make a critical mistake dyeing her hair red instead of strawberry blonde.

So for NFL fans who can't wait a few weeks until training camps start, here's a little something to help get you through. Although be forewarned: For entertainment value, we can't compete with a behind-the-scenes look at cheerleader auditions, but, then, who can?

Changing nameplates

Ten teams have new coaches. These four will be most successful:

Brad Childress, Vikings: The former Eagles offensive coordinator put together a nice staff, and the Vikings have some talent.

Rod Marinelli, Lions: No team needed discipline more than the Lions. Marinelli brings it. and he has a great ability to yell at a guy one minute and put his arm around him the next.

Scott Linehan, Rams: The Rams still have skill on offense, and the defense won't be soft under coordinator Jim Haslett.

Gary Kubiak, Texans: He has waited a long time for his shot and the Texans shouldn't have been as bad as they were last year.

These four will struggle: Eric Mangini, Jets: Quarterback Chad Pennington is coming off his second shoulder surgery, and two rookies could start on the offensive line. Mangini, 35, might feel like he's 55 when this season is over.

Mike McCarthy, Packers: The Packers reached when they hired McCarthy, who takes over a team that's rebuilding.

Art Shell, Raiders: For the past decade or so, owner Al Davis has traded coaches every two years or so. Shell has worked for Davis before, so he has that going for him.

Herman Edwards, Chiefs: Maybe the Chiefs will be better defensively, but former offensive coordinator Al Saunders will be tough to replace.

And how was your off-season?

Four teams that made wise use of their time:

Dolphins: They Dolphins got the elite quarterback, Daunte Culpepper, they've been lacking.

Browns: Acquired some solid vets in center LeCharles Bentley, linebacker Willie McGinest and nose tackle Ted Washington.

Cardinals: If running back Edgerrin James can do for the rushing game what he did for ticket sales, he's worth the $30 million the Cardinals are paying him.

Seahawks: Sure, the Seahawks lost guard Steve Hutchinson, but they kept running back Shaun Alexander, and signing linebacker Julian Peterson was a wise move.

Four teams that need do-overs:

Chargers: The coach and GM feuded, and the Chargers let a winning quarterback, Drew Brees, walk out of the door.

Bengals: It's bad enough that quarterback Carson Palmer is coming off a serious knee injury. But the Bengals made the police blotter too often.

Steelers: Maybe Steelers fans can pool their money and buy quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a used popemobile. Anything but a motorcycle.

Texans: Mario Williams over Reggie Bush44 with the first pick in the draft? We still can't believe it.

Change of scenery

Four players who will prosper in new surroundings: WR Terrell Owens, Cowboys: Cowboys coach Bill Parcells knows how to manage stars, and Owens is running out of teams willing to sign him.

QB Daunte Culpepper, Dolphins: His progress from knee surgery has been remarkable, and he should be motivated to prove that he's not as bad as he looked last year.

RB Edgerrin James, Cardinals: He might not put up the statistics he did in Indianapolis, but he'll be the first back to gain 1,000 yards in Arizona in a long time. For the Cardinals, that is.

LB LaVar Arrington, New York Giants: If he's healthy and willing to listen to coaches, Arrington will be the impact player the Giants need on defense.

Three future Hall of Famers who should have followed the Bus into retirement:

QB Brett Favre, Packers: The offensive line is still a question mark and there's a new coach to break in.

G Larry Allen, 49ers: He's not nearly the player he once was and should have retired with the Cowboys. as a Cowboy.

RB Marshall Faulk, Rams: Now just a spot player, he had surgery on both knees in the off-season.

Didn't you used to be somebody?

Four veterans who need to return to form:

QB Donovan McNabb, Eagles: Missed the second half of last season with a sports hernia.

LB Ray Lewis, Ravens: Baltimore won't win with Lewis complaining about the defensive philosophy.

DE Bertrand Berry, Cardinals: It took the Cardinals weeks to recover when he went out with a torn pectoral muscle.

WR Randy Moss, Raiders: Injuries and a bad offense limited him in 2005.

Don't hold me to these

Four training camp predictions:

1. Some Detroit Lions players will complain about the intensity of coach Rod Marinelli's practices. Then Marinelli will turn things up a notch.

2. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't ride anything that has fewer than four wheels.

3. Bills GM Marv Levy won't have to ask to get the senior discount in Rochester N.Y., where the Bills train.

4. Edgerrin James' dorm room in Flagstaff will have more electronic devices than your average Best Buy.

Take it easy, fans, it won't be long now

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Take it easy, fans, it won't be long now

Three future Hall of Famers who should have followed the Bus into retirement:

QB Brett Favre, Packers: The offensive line is still a question mark and there's a new coach to break in.
    He hit the nail right on the head with that one.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

teams that need do-overs:
    Steelers: Maybe Steelers fans can pool their money and buy quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a used popemobile. Anything but a motorcycle.
    And this one! Living in Steeler country sucks! It will be nice to have ammunition to fire back at them! :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

it makes me laugh at these when i read about daunte and how everyone expects him to suddenly come back to being a probowl qb. did they not watch last season at all?
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

"mr.woo" wrote:
    it makes me laugh at these when i read about daunte and how everyone expects him to suddenly come back to being a probowl qb. did they not watch last season at all?
    [size=18px]Danger! Danger! Danger! [/size]

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

hahahahaha ^^^^ good save

but yea.. that article was the best ive read in a long long long time!

few comments

-little worried about the potential of the cardinals.. they've been building for a while now
    -pitt is going to be back in the pit of the afc.. i say no playoffs for them
    -good call with the retirement, on all three

this article.. muy bueno.. good find singer!
    i m better than you, so just give up...

"mr.woo" wrote:
    no i think they remember 2004. remember he had a good O cordinator, better line, etc....
    You republican whore!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Great check Singer, and as usual when I want something too read I can depend on you for a good artical. Thanks