Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prophet Guest

Re: Tagliabue comtemplating retirement

POSTED 10:09 a.m. EDT, May 24, 2006

BUSH SAYS NO TO NFL
    Mike Florio

The NFL is keeping a very tight lid on the list of candidates for the job of Commissioner, in order to save those who ultimately are rejected from any embarrassment. However, the league can't control what the folks who tell the NFL "no, thanks" might say.

Per the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, one guy who has opted to pass on the opportunity to enter the screening process is Florida governor Jeb Bush.

Bush says that he was contacted by Patrick Rooney, Sr., the brother of Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, regarding the looming vacancy.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things," Bush said. "But I'm not going to do anything until I finish."

Bush finishes his term in January 2007. This means that Jeb Bush won't be the Commissioner, since the owners are committed to hiring a replacement for Paul Tagliabue by August 18.

The league's interest in Bush suggests that the owners will look broadly for a new poobah, and it opens the door for other figures who have made a mark in the world of politics to secure consideration. Names that now come to mind include: Steve Largent, a Hall of Fame receiver who was a Congressman (and a picket-line crosser in 1987); J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma quarterback and Congressman whom a reader mentioned to us on Tuesday as a possible candidate, before the Bush story broke; and former New Jersey governor James McGreevey, whose personal experiences might encourage all gay players to come out of the closet. (Um, we're kidding about the last one.)

Given the NFL's sensitivity to appearances, we wonder whether Jeb was asked to keep the league's interest in him confidential. Such a request would make sense, since it's now likely that many casual observers will carry around in their heads the idea that Bush was the first choice for the job, even though the truth at this point is that the owners are still in the process of gathering candidates.

Even if Bush wasn't specifically asked to be discreet, why in the hell would he choose to blab? It makes us think that, despite public denials, he's secretly toying with the possibility of running for President in 2008.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    POSTED 10:09 a.m. EDT, May 24, 2006

BUSH SAYS NO TO NFL
    Mike Florio

The NFL is keeping a very tight lid on the list of candidates for the job of Commissioner, in order to save those who ultimately are rejected from any embarrassment. However, the league can't control what the folks who tell the NFL "no, thanks" might say.

Per the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, one guy who has opted to pass on the opportunity to enter the screening process is Florida governor Jeb Bush.

Bush says that he was contacted by Patrick Rooney, Sr., the brother of Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, regarding the looming vacancy.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things," Bush said. "But I'm not going to do anything until I finish."

Bush finishes his term in January 2007. This means that Jeb Bush won't be the Commissioner, since the owners are committed to hiring a replacement for Paul Tagliabue by August 18.

The league's interest in Bush suggests that the owners will look broadly for a new poobah, and it opens the door for other figures who have made a mark in the world of politics to secure consideration. Names that now come to mind include: Steve Largent, a Hall of Fame receiver who was a Congressman (and a picket-line crosser in 1987); J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma quarterback and Congressman whom a reader mentioned to us on Tuesday as a possible candidate, before the Bush story broke; and former New Jersey governor James McGreevey, whose personal experiences might encourage all *** players to come out of the closet. (Um, we're kidding about the last one.)

Given the NFL's sensitivity to appearances, we wonder whether Jeb was asked to keep the league's interest in him confidential. Such a request would make sense, since it's now likely that many casual observers will carry around in their heads the idea that Bush was the first choice for the job, even though the truth at this point is that the owners are still in the process of gathering candidates.

Even if Bush wasn't specifically asked to be discreet, why in the hell would he choose to blab? It makes us think that, despite public denials, he's secretly toying with the possibility of running for President in 2008.

Good thing here.. The last thing we need is one Bush running the US, and one running the NFL.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I would quit watching pro football if either Condi or Jeb became Commissioner...just on principle!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Cajun:
    THAT WILL BE THE DAY! lol
    Heck, you'd watch it if David Duke were the commissioner!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I also heard this today on Good Morning America, Jeb Bush wants to be president instead of the new Commisioner of the NFL. Anybody have a good idea who would be a good commissioner?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    I also heard this today on Good Morning America, Jeb Bush wants to be president instead of the new Commisioner of the NFL. Anybody have a good idea who would be a good commissioner?
    I would say Tony Dungy. His name has been mentioned and I think he would be great at the job. ( Plus taking him out of Indy might be an advantage to us in the future.)

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Falcons | Team could split McKay’s duties if he becomes commissioner
    Sat, 27 May 2006 12:10:18 -0700

D. Orlando Ledbetter, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons might split president and general manager Rich McKay's duties if he becomes the next NFL commissioner. McKay is considered one of the top candidates to replace commissioner Paul Tagliabue when he retires later this year. One scenario in the event the team loses McKay is to have Falcons executive vice president and chief administrative officer Ray Anderson work with senior personnel executive Billy Devaney and split the work McKay used to do. Owner Arthur Blank said, "Rich would be a very difficult man to replace. He could not be replaced with a single person. I only want for Rich really what is the best thing for him. If this is something he wants to pursue, something he wants to do, then it's really a personal matter between him and his family."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12