Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tagliabue comtemplating retirement

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361601

I think he has done a great job as the commish.

Re: Tagliabue comtemplating retirement

i think hes done a pretty good job for the most part, but i think the nfl really has turned into the "no fun league." id like that to change, but i guess i dont really have anything big against him.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Mr. T is the biggest pimp in the world and the NFL would miss him dearly if he retires.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

man that would really suck, he has done an unbelievable job with the NFL..if he goes id like to see David Stern take over from the NBA
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Prophet Guest

page2

Prophet Guest

Tags exit would start scramble
    BY GARY MYERS
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    Link

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue might be looking to go out on top.

Paul Tagliabue's legacy is secure. His nearly 17-year run as commissioner has marked the most popular and prosperous time in NFL history, a period of labor peace and huge television contracts. Now the question is how much longer he plans to stick around in the job.

Tagliabue's future has been the subject of speculation because he is 65 years old and has two years left on his contract, which expires in May of 2008. It has become a major topic after he set the league up for the future with television contracts beginning in 2006 worth nearly $4 billion per year and a new collective bargaining agreement and revenue-sharing plan, approved Wednesday night by a resounding 30-2 vote, that carries the league through the 2011 season.

Sources said last night that Tagliabue has an option in his contract every year that allows him to step down as commissioner before his deal expires and become a league consultant. ESPN reported yesterday Tagliabue is seriously considering stepping down as commissioner and is expected to exercise that clause, possibly as early as within the next 60 days.

Last night, sources told the Daily News they expect Tagliabue to remain as commissioner this season, but did not speculate how much longer he would stay in the job. One source said he has never heard Tagliabue mention retirement. Tagliabue looked worn out the last couple of weeks as he worked his way through the pressure-filled labor talks.

One owner said last night he doesn't want Tagliabue to leave.

"I hope it's not the case," he said. "I think we need him."

Several sources believe the two leading candidates to replace Tagliabue would be Roger Goodell, the league's executive vice president and chief operating officer, and Falcons president Rich McKay, who is the co-chairman of the league's powerful competition committee.

Goodell's father was Charles Goodell, who succeeded Robert Kennedy as a U.S. senator from New York in 1968. Roger Goodell was instrumental in completing the collective bargaining agreement negotiations and developed an excellent relationship working with Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association. Goodell also has been involved in the league's efforts to put a team back in Los Angeles.

McKay, an attorney when he first went to work for the Bucs before moving to the Falcons, has developed into one of the most respected executives in the league. Another name that has surfaced is that of Ravens president Dick Cass, who took on a leadership role in Dallas this week in the CBA talks. Cass once represented Cowboys owner Jerry Jones when Jones and the league sued each other in a fight over Jones' sponsorship deals.

One other interesting potential candidate: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. In 2002, when she was President Bush's national security adviser, she expressed interest in becoming NFL commissioner if Tagliabue decided to leave.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Paul Tagliabue's legacy is secure. His nearly 17-year run as commissioner has marked the most popular and prosperous time in NFL history, a period of labor peace and huge television contracts. Now the question is how much longer he plans to stick around in the job.

No mention of Roselle! He was the real success behind the NFL, Roselle set the coarse of the NFL long before Tagliabue was even in the picture. Tagliabue did a great job of following Roselle as head of the NFL, and he has captained the NFL ship with great efficiency! But it was Roselle who lead them to the point were they were the best run sports organization in the world.

The NFL lived on without Roselle, and well live on without Tagliabue.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I remember when Condi Rice was being mentioned as a replacement Commissioner, I still think she'd be a good choice..

But then again, ANYBODY would be a better choice than a guy with the surname Bush.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Condi said that was always her dream -- to be te NFL Commissioner. She is a huge NFL fan. But with here last step up in government she says she is no longer interested. Too bad, I think she would have been great, too.
    I doubt it very much if Jeb Bush would get the job.
    The job is not so much football knowledge (although it's a good idea to know a pass from a run) but rather the ability to judge the NFL from a business standpoint and be a great arbertraitor
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast