Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

T. Gonzalez on the open market?

POSTED 12:31 p.m. EST; UPDATED 1:04 p.m. EST, October 29, 2006
    GONZALEZ HITTING THE MARKET?

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez has achieved the ability to void the final two years of his contract, and that he plans to become a free agent in March.

"I would love to end my career here but I'm a realist and know there is a real possibility I could end up hitting the open market," said Gonzalez.
    "We've had some talks, we both gave proposals recently but we're pretty far apart.
    At this point I've told my agent I don't really want it to be a distraction during the season."

But unless the Chiefs also have promised not to apply the franchise tag to Gonzalez, there's an easy solution to the problem for the team if the deal can't get done.

Because the franchise tender for tight ends was only (only?) $3.327 million in 2006, Gonzalez's value will be determined by increasing his 2006 cap number by 20 percent.
    His base salary was $3.6 million, and the cap number will be even high based on any signing bonus proration, roster bonuses, etc.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: T. Gonzalez on the open market?

He's a beast Tight end and i would love to have him on our team, but i think he might ask for little to much money, and i would rather adress other needs and get a class tackle or guard on the right side, and we all know what Wiggins can do for us... so i think that we should pass on him..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

He's definately a superstar player but we have other positions to address before we go after a TE.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It would be wise to use the ones we have first.
    Search for a QB, Brad's not going to play forever.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I say pass on Gonzalez.. We have 2 very good TE's in Wiggins, and Kleinsasser.. They are cheaper then Gonzalez, and they both play very well..

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I say pass on Gonzalez.. We have 2 very good TE's in Wiggins, and Kleinsasser.. They are cheaper then Gonzalez, and they both play very well..
    Wiggins and Kleinsasser are fine, but Gonzalez is a guy that opposing defenses have to gameplan for.
    He is much more of a threat and with the way our receivers are struggling a guy like Gonzalez would be a huge addition to this offense.

Ultimately in this offseason the Vikes will need to find some offensive weapons QB/WR/TE.
    You get a guy like Gonzalez and that takes pressure off getting a go to WR.
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Chiefs could lose Gonzalez to free agency[/size]

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 7 hours ago

Hey Chiefs fans, the most prolific player on your roster is quietly set to become a free agent after the year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"Purple" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Wiggins and Kleinsasser are fine, but Gonzalez is a guy that opposing defenses have to gameplan for.
    He is much more of a threat and with the way our receivers are struggling a guy like Gonzalez would be a huge addition to this offense.

Ultimately in this offseason the Vikes will need to find some offensive weapons QB/WR/TE.
    Gonzalez is way too expensive... all there is to it.
    We don't have near as much cap room after this past offseason when we signed Leber, Hutch, and Taylor.
    We may have to persue a WR and some or on the right side of our O-Line this offseason.
    Maybe depth at CB(we might be OK there though, it just depends on Smoot's attitude).
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point.
    I have always coveted having Gonzalez.
    In Wiggins I have seen glipses of a "Tiny Tony" at times.
    That really fired me up last year.
    But it almost seems that something has changed at TE for the Vikings.
    It may be way to early to make such a statement but the next 3 games will really let us know what role a TE will play in the passing game under Childress.
    I have always believed in an active recieving TE.
    And to me that is 50-75 catches for the leading TE receiver, be that Kleiny or Wiggins.
    The TE can so open up the entire field for passing and running the ball.

well that is my thoughts anyway.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "Purple" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Gonzalez is way too expensive... all there is to it.
    We don't have near as much cap room after this past offseason when we signed Leber, Hutch, and Taylor.
    We may have to persue a WR and some or on the right side of our O-Line this offseason.
    Maybe depth at CB(we might be OK there though, it just depends on Smoot's attitude).
    We should still have plenty of cap space available and while I don't really think we need Gonzalez he would be much more helpful then any of the lousy WRs who will be on the FA market nor do I think there are any useful O-lineman to go after we shouldn't give up on the guys we have on the right side just yet.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast