Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

System failure might be coming for Patriots

[size=13pt]System failure might be coming for New England[/size]

An aging defense, Randy Moss' impending free agency and more spying allegations are chipping away at the Patriots' dynasty.

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: February 5, 2008 - 1:22 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re: System failure might be coming for Patriots

Will the fire finally burn him?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

From that article you would think the Patriots were the worst team in the league. There defense is crap and their offense will be gone soon. The still had an amazing season and were the best team for 20 straight weeks leading up to the superbowl.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

I hope they suck for the next few years, and that Bellicheat will be fired because of it.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I can't wait to see Brady, Belichik and Goodell (that sorry excuse for a commissioner) in front of the Senate...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"C" wrote:
    I can't wait to see Brady, Belichik and Goodell (that sorry excuse for a commissioner) in front of the Senate...
    Goodel has been the best thing to happen to the NFL in my lifetime. I think he mishandled spygate but just about everything else he has done has been very positive for the NFL. Direct your hate and Belicheat, everything he has done has hurt the NFL.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Goodel has been the best thing to happen to the NFL in my lifetime. I think he mishandled spygate but just about everything else he has done has been very positive for the NFL. Direct your hate and Belicheat, everything he has done has hurt the NFL.
    There's a reason he has to testify in front of the Senate... and it's not because of his "outstanding" work ethic.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Eh, he is alright. But you can't hound players about every little aspect of their life and then not go after a coach. And I hate the whole argument "Oh they won every game anyone, they have so much talent they would have won that game" Well, that just how arrogant he is. He still has to cheat with an extremely stacked team

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It's bound to happen at some point. It always does. On the other hand they have good lines, a great QB and so they can always rebuild around that core very quickly just like those frickin Packers have done.

I don't agree that the Patriots are about to fall apart.
    It's fun to beat up on the Pats right now, but believing they're falling apart is wishful thinking.

The offense, the strength of the team, will remain essentially intact for the next several years.
    All of the starting offensive-linemen are signed through at least 2010 and only Stephen Neal is over 30.
    Maroney will be around at least that long.
    Tom Brady is signed through 2010 and is obviously the key to that team.
    When he leaves, that's when the team is likely to collapse.
    The receiver position might take a hit, but Welker will be around and Moss will most likely be re-signed in March or franchised in February.
    Stallworth will probably be cut, depending on how they feel about paying him $10 million this year.

On defense, they are getting older.
    Their secondary could take a big hit if Samuel leaves, and Harrison isn't getting any younger.
    Hobbs and Gay have played well, though.
    The third guy at CB for them without Samuel is Meriweather, a first round pick last year.
    The linebackers have the same age problem.
    But their defensive-linemen are all young and under contract for several more years.
    Despite the age thing, the Patriots' defense was 4th in both yards and points allowed.
    Add to this the fact that they have a chance to get a blue-chip player in the draft this spring, and the defensive situation doesn't look that bad.

So my thinking is that the Patriots will be the favorites to win the Super Bowl next year, as long as Moss is back.
    If he's gone then they'll still be a very good team, but maybe not the favorites.

"C" wrote:
    Are you going to change your tune if/when Goodell suspends Belichick for the entire season next year?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast