Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Studs and duds at the NFL's midway point

Studs and duds at the NFL's midway point
    Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    3 Nov. 2006

An excerpt:

BIGGEST BUST: Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper.

[img width=187 height=275]http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6133488_36_2.jpg[/img]
    Daunte Culpepper was supposedly going to make the Dolphins Super Bowl contenders. It hasn't exactly worked out that way. (Eliot J. Schechter / Getty Images)

Ouch for Daunte's knee. Double-ouch for Daunte's play. His addition and the apparently widespread belief among the media that Nick Saban was actually in the room when football was invented had everyone picking the Fins to win their conference. Instead, Saban has shown why college coaches rarely make it in the NFL and Culpepper has shown he is far, far removed from his days with Randy Moss.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Studs and duds at the NFL's midway point

Espn Article: "NFL Isn't Half-bad This Season"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/061103&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

On the Vikings:

[quote]
    HALF A CHANCE TO GO DEEP: The Vikes. Honest. They've got the run defense to hold up down the stretch and, well, their cakewalk schedule is Chicago-esque.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

[I just realised I completely mis-read the Comeback Award from Jay, I'll admit I jumped the gun by reading Kellen Winslow straight away in the main paragraph and assuming Jay did the wrong thing (come on, he's a sports journalist, they're all idiots). However, I see he actually put Chad Pennington as his Comeback Player of the Year. I am 110% behind his decision, which means I could backtrack 10% and still be completely behind him.]

[EDIT: From now on I'm talking about his mentioning of Kellen Winslow, not Chad Pennington, who fits all the criteria I set out in the following paragraph.]

I agree with Jay on his mid-season Studs and Duds apart from the final sentence of his final one. It really annoys me how people hand out the "Comeback Player of the Year" award to players who have only ever had one good season (the-then current season) in their professional career. Drew Brees a couple of years ago is a prime example. He played poorly for three years, then breaks out in 2004 and suddenly he wins the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award?! What exactly did he come back from? He never played well enough then had a poor season to bounce back from! Drew Brees in 2004 was a Breakout Player, not a Comeback Player. And it's the same with Jay giving Kellen Winslow the mid-season Comeback Player Award this time around. Winslow has done sweet F.A in the pros up to now, so really what Jay is rewarding Winslow for is his ability to put himself in stupid, dangerous situations and then play at a mediocre level. To be honest, I don't like the Comeback Award, and don't think it should be given out on an annual basis. The only players I can really think of who has deserved it in recent years is Tedy Bruschi; a man who was at the top of his game before a life-threatening condition (through no fault of his own, Winslow) who has since recovered both his health and his playing ability, and Steve Smith, who flashed playmaking potential before he broke his leg and missed out the entire 2004 season, only to return and tear it up in 2005.

I'd look at someone like Andre Johnson, who looked great in 2004, didn't too well last year, and has Comeback (see what I did there?) to his 2004 form this year. Or even Marc Bulger, who missed half of last season and is
    on fire this year (not literally of course).

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    [I just realised I completely mis-read the Comeback Award from Jay, I'll admit I jumped the gun by reading Kellen Winslow straight away in the main paragraph and assuming Jay did the wrong thing (come on, he's a sports journalist, they're all idiots). However, I see he actually put Chad Pennington as his Comeback Player of the Year. I am 110% behind his decision, which means I could backtrack 10% and still be completely behind him.]

[EDIT: From now on I'm talking about his mentioning of Kellen Winslow, not Chad Pennington, who fits all the criteria I set out in the following paragraph.]

I agree with Jay on his mid-season Studs and Duds apart from the final sentence of his final one. It really annoys me how people hand out the "Comeback Player of the Year" award to players who have only ever had one good season (the-then current season) in their professional career. Drew Brees a couple of years ago is a prime example. He played poorly for three years, then breaks out in 2004 and suddenly he wins the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award?! What exactly did he come back from? He never played well enough then had a poor season to bounce back from! Drew Brees in 2004 was a Breakout Player, not a Comeback Player. And it's the same with Jay giving Kellen Winslow the mid-season Comeback Player Award this time around. Winslow has done sweet F.A in the pros up to now, so really what Jay is rewarding Winslow for is his ability to put himself in stupid, dangerous situations and then play at a mediocre level. To be honest, I don't like the Comeback Award, and don't think it should be given out on an annual basis. The only players I can really think of who has deserved it in recent years is Tedy Bruschi; a man who was at the top of his game before a life-threatening condition (through no fault of his own, Winslow) who has since recovered both his health and his playing ability, and Steve Smith, who flashed playmaking potential before he broke his leg and missed out the entire 2004 season, only to return and tear it up in 2005.

I'd look at someone like Andre Johnson, who looked great in 2004, didn't too well last year, and has Comeback (see what I did there?) to his 2004 form this year. Or even Marc Bulger, who missed half of last season and is
    on fire this year (not literally of course).
    Robert Edwards came back a few years ago from a blown out knee and had a great game.
    Peopel thought he was done.
    I think he blew it out playing volleyball at the beach.
    Was a nice comeback though.

I totally agree, if they are coming back they have to be coming back from something.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Stud:
    Peyton Manning

Dud:
    The overrated Ben Roethlisberger

davike is offline Team Alumni

"JellyBean2144" wrote:
    Stud:
    Peyton Manning

Dud:
    The overrated Ben Roethlisberger
    peyton manning is a stud

but big ben is 29-10 as a starter, he isn't as over rated as you might think

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!