COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Strength Of Schedule

I know that you play each team in your division twice per season but I thought the rest of the season was based on where you finished in the overall standings. The higher you finished, the tougher the schedule. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Anyway, I was looking at the strength of schedule for all the teams at this website:
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10236651
    According to it the Bears have the second easiest schedule in the NFL. The Lions have the toughest schedule in the NFC north, the Vikes second, the Packers third and the Bears last. Almost opposite of the way they ended up the season.
    Can someone explain this to me?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Strength Of Schedule

6 games against your division
    4 games against another NFC division (AFC if you are AFC)
    4 games against an AFC division (NFC if you are AFC)
    2 games against the teams from the other two NFC divisions that finished the same as you did last season (AFC if you are AFC)

16 games total

The NFC and AFC divisions rotate on a three-year schedule...so that you play the same divisions every three years.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Bears only have the easiest because they play US, GB and Det...all who had worse records than they did last year.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

14 out of 16 games are part of a pre-determined formula.

* 2 games with each div oppp (6 games)
    * 4 games with each team in a rotating NFC division (3 year rotation for other NFC teams, 4 year rotation for AFC teams)
    * 4 games with each team in a rotating AFCdivision (4 year rotation for other NFC teams, 3 year rotation for AFC teams)
    The remaining two games are determined by where you finish in your division.
    You play the teams that finish the same in the remaining divisions in your conference.
    First place plays first place, etc.

EDIT: Dang it.
    Caj beat me to the post! ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

So only TWO GAMES are determined by your finish? Hummmm, I always thought the games from ALL OPPONENTS other than your division opponents were based on your finish. In other words your other NFC and AFC opponents were chosen by your finish.
    Guess I was wrong.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    So only TWO GAMES are determined by your finish? Hummmm, I always thought the games from ALL OPPONENTS other than your division opponents were based on your finish. In other words your other NFC and AFC opponents were chosen by your finish.
    Guess I was wrong.
    Nope...14 of the game opponents are predetermined YEARS in advance!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    14 out of 16 games are part of a pre-determined formula.

* 2 games with each div oppp (6 games)
    * 4 games with each team in a rotating NFC division (3 year rotation for other NFC teams, 4 year rotation for AFC teams)
    * 4 games with each team in a rotating AFCdivision (4 year rotation for other NFC teams, 3 year rotation for AFC teams)
    The remaining two games are determined by where you finish in your division.
    You play the teams that finish the same in the remaining divisions in your conference.
    First place plays first place, etc.

EDIT: Dang it.
    Caj beat me to the post! ;D
    Yours is more accurate...but you probably looked it up, eh?

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I know that you play each team in your division twice per season but I thought the rest of the season was based on where you finished in the overall standings. The higher you finished, the tougher the schedule. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Anyway, I was looking at the strength of schedule for all the teams at this website:
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10236651
    According to it the Bears have the second easiest schedule in the NFL. The Lions have the toughest schedule in the NFC north, the Vikes second, the Packers third and the Bears last. Almost opposite of the way they ended up the season.
    Can someone explain this to me?
    The simplest way to explain it is to recall that the Bears don't have to play themselves, whereas we do have to play the Bears. If you assume that the Bears are better than us (based on last year), then it is clear that the Bears have the easier schedule.

The same follows for the Lions. Being that they finished last in the division last year, but have to play all of the teams that were ranked better twice, they are going to have a tougher-looking schedule than the team at the top who plays all of the teams beneath them twice. Capisce?

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

On a related note, I am surprised that the Vikings were lucky enough to have one of their toughest games after the by week.
    This gives them an extra week to prepare for the Bears at Chicago.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

To win your division you have to beat others in your division and/or beat teams that your division rivals lost to.

The most fair schedule in sports.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!