Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Stick to the SYSTEM or Adapt to the TALENT?

I was down in DC late last week having dinner with a friend . . . who happens to be an EAGLES fan.

Obviously the topic of football came up, and I shared with him the extreme displeasure a lot of Vikings fans have with BC being resistant to make adjustments according to the players . . . and not his system.

He told me that ANDY REID is the same way, and he's probably using what he learned in Philadelphia as a basis for his system.
    Implement a system and make the players conform / learn it.

Now that lead to another conversation over which is better . . . stick to the system OR adapt to the talent.

What does everyone here think??

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Stick to the SYSTEM or Adapt to the TALENT?

Another "What do you think" thread.

Hey my friend, I've told everyone what I think on this subject.
    You tell us for a change.

Give me some examples of how to use AD better.
    Should he start doing multiple cuts or stick to one cut running?

How will that effect the line play?

Give me some examples of Line Blocking that you would employ.
    Should we pull the gaurds more?

What alignments should our WR's use?
    Should they motion more? Less?

Please dazzle me with your football knowledge.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Another "What do you think" thread.

Hey my friend, I've told everyone what I think on this subject.
    You tell us for a change.

Give me some examples of how to use AD better.
    Should he start doing multiple cuts or stick to one cut running?

How will that effect the line play?

Give me some examples of Line Blocking that you would employ.
    Should we pull the gaurds more?

What alignments should our WR's use?
    Should they motion more? Less?

Please dazzle me with your football knowledge.

;D
    You are getting into the finer details of football, not the general stuff we were speaking of.

I think every team has and needs a system, but I'm the type to believe you adapt to the talent around you.

AD is a beast of a runner.
    He is gonna wear down a defense and punish them.
    We need to conform to his strengths and keep him active LATE in the game as we will stand a much better chance of watching him break out a long TD run later in the games.
    CT is not of the same mold . . . in fact, he will wear down as the game goes on.
    So if the Coach is committed to the two back system, I would much rather see CT start the game and AD end the game.
    For me, because you asked, I would use AP as my only back unless he's hurt or just plain worn out.
    He's my workhorse.

Our line seems to have problems with this new zone blocking type system that is /was being installed.
    I don't like it . . . again, play to the strength of the line.
    By having a single workhorse, the line doesn't have to keep adjusting to who is in the game.
    I'm sure if BC would commit to AP, the line would respond in kind.

Pulling guards, trap blocking, . . . all of the above.
    The type of blocking that is done is based upon what the defense gives you or takes away from you.
    As you know, being of a single mindset isn't gonna work.

I like quick short passes, swing passes out of the backfield to tighten up the box and then homerun balls when the defense adjusts . . . in short the LINEHAN approach.
    Give the rock to AP, and mix in short passes with the occasion deep throw to keep them honest.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Give Peterson more carries.

Bring in some right side OL talent.

Throw to Rice more.

Use Williamson deep.

Use Wade underneath.

Tell TJack if no one is open to just bolt or throw it away.

Get the defense off the field for more than 4 plays at a time.

With the talent we have in place, it shouldn't be that hard to coach. The steeler approach will work just fine... and we have more talent at the "skill" positions than they did in 05.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I think it is always better to be able to adapt.

Less rigid!

Run the KAO through the first three quarters if you want, then open it up in the 4th.

In the 4th, you have to let your talent play. Use them however you want but let them play.
    Be on the offensive, not the defensive or passive.

I have always thought that any coach can install a system and stubbornly adhere to it

But, a great or good coach is one who is able to recognize the type of tlane he has on his team and then adjusts his sysytems according to his talent

Just my thoughts

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I think you have to be on the offensive too. Being on the defensive all the time means your going to lose

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Personally, i would garner players that fit into my scheme.

But you can NEVER pass up a big playmaker, irregardless of scheme.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"sleepagent" wrote:
    I was down in DC late last week having dinner with a friend . . . who happens to be an EAGLES fan.

Obviously the topic of football came up, and I shared with him the extreme displeasure a lot of Vikings fans have with BC being resistant to make adjustments according to the players . . . and not his system.

He told me that ANDY REID is the same way, and he's probably using what he learned in Philadelphia as a basis for his system.
    Implement a system and make the players conform / learn it.

Now that lead to another conversation over which is better . . . stick to the system OR adapt to the talent.

What does everyone here think??

Sleep, I LIVE in Delaware...all of my friends are Eagles fans.
    They are all chirping about Reid and are saying 'I told you so' about Childress being stubborn and quirky.
    Thanks for bringing a relevant, timely topic.

I say it's a hybrid...in other words, you adapt your system to the talent you have.
    Not really a cop-out, I'll try to illustrate my point.
    Everyone knows the WCO (or, whatever it is the Vikes are running), has hundreds of plays.
    Callahan, at Nebraska, overwhelmed his first QB with the complexity of his offense (the same WCO that Gannon set the percent complete NFL record running), and cut it back to run only 30-40% of the plays.
    That's college, however, Montana didn't have immediate success with the entire playbook...it took him time to learn.
    Ditto for McNabb and the aforementioned Gannon.
    As they became more comfortable in the offense, the playbook was expanded and catered to the QB.
    Until then, they were charged to execute the plays within their skill set as they came up the curve.
    I was priveledged enough to speak to one of the QBs mentioned above about this very topic prior to the season.
    Another point he made was that, the "script" that Walsh, Gruden, Reid, and others have deployed is designed to set up the opponents such that the offense can fully exploit its strengths and the defenses weaknesses...it is also meant to capitalize on the QB's 'best plays' from the prior week's practice.

The Vikes trouble is that they don't yet have a QB who can operate the offense efficiently enough to win.
    I think Childress has scaled the offense back so much that we haven't even seen 30% of the plays...because we don't have a capable QB.
    Our receivers and RBs have enough talent to run the WCO.
    Not sure if our O-linemen are up to the zone blocking task...I don't know enough about that; I've read some criticism to that effect.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't vote for either because it's bit of both. If you always adapt to players then you got no system at all and you may as well be drawing plays on the ground like sandlot football because everything changes season to season as you get new players.
    But on the other hand, you don't become so rigid in the system that nothing else matters. For example, under Tice we always had a man-to-man blocking system. Childress changed it to a zone and brought in some good players who were used to man-to-man. Yet Childress insists on zone blocking. Now, how big of a leap is it to have man-to-man blocking and yet keep the rest of your "system" in place? By that I mean the overall concept.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast