Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Steve McNair

  1. #11
    GreenBaySlackers's Avatar
    GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Steve McNair

    "Lotzapurple119" wrote:
    "stjmnsota" wrote:
    Do you really think Daunte will take on a mentor? If so, what is wrong with Brad? I doubt he will stoop so low off his mighty throne to take advice. I'm sure Duante is humble as far as NFL player go, but he has needed advice for a long time and why hasn't a coach or someone stepped up? For the same reason they never benched him this year? Afraid they will hurt his feelings?

    I understand you must be careful benching a star QB, but the way his season was going this year, I don't think it would have hurt to sit him for a game or two, put the head set on him and make him watch and talk to Brad. Sometimes that gives a player a spark in their shorts. Seems to have worked for Boller.
    yeah what would be wrong w/ brad?!?
    nothing is wrong with brad, but mcnair and johnson are toatally different QB's. McNair was a heck of a mobile QB in his day, but he's been slowed due to injuries. which is exactly what culpepper is (maybe) going through right now. Mcnair remained effectice and might be able to help Daunte do the same.

  2. #12
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Steve McNair

    McNair is a very underrated QB, but I do not see much use for him here. DC will be back next season and will probably be close to full strength. We will have to play DC through the season to see what he has and McNair will not be worth much after next season more than likely.
    I would like to see DC go to him for some advice on playing through pain, and being a mobile QB in the NFL today.

  3. #13
    stjmnsota's Avatar
    stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    333

    Re: Steve McNair

    "GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    "Lotzapurple119" wrote:
    "stjmnsota" wrote:
    Do you really think Daunte will take on a mentor? If so, what is wrong with Brad? I doubt he will stoop so low off his mighty throne to take advice. I'm sure Duante is humble as far as NFL player go, but he has needed advice for a long time and why hasn't a coach or someone stepped up? For the same reason they never benched him this year? Afraid they will hurt his feelings?

    I understand you must be careful benching a star QB, but the way his season was going this year, I don't think it would have hurt to sit him for a game or two, put the head set on him and make him watch and talk to Brad. Sometimes that gives a player a spark in their shorts. Seems to have worked for Boller.
    yeah what would be wrong w/ brad?!?

    nothing is wrong with brad, but mcnair and johnson are toatally different QB's. McNair was a heck of a mobile QB in his day, but he's been slowed due to injuries. which is exactly what culpepper is (maybe) going through right now. Mcnair remained effectice and might be able to help Daunte do the same.
    I see your point, but Brad has been a very successful and proven QB and is a pocket passer. McNair can relate to Daunte a little better because he has had to go through the change from running QB to Pocket passer, but a pocket passer is a pocket passer no matter where they started. Daunte can learn from Brad as well as Steve. Heck, Daunte has played behind several QB's and ahead of several QB's that he should have/could have/ probably has learned from. I'm sure even Shaun Hill has something to teach Duante. A good leader can learn and become better from not only the BEST in the business, but also from the worst. Everyone has something to bring to the table.

    Bottom line though is the fact that the Vikes have Brad and not Steve. Unless Brad wants to move on, I wouldn't bring McNair in and dump BJ.

  4. #14
    stjmnsota's Avatar
    stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    333

    Re: Steve McNair

    Another thing. There have been alot of very successful pocket passers that can actually run. But they are pocket QBs first and runners second. While watching McNair, Duante, Vick and others run all over is very exciting, I am very wary of them because when it comes down to it, they don't win alot of NFL championships.

    That could be a whole different piece. How many "RUNNING" QBs have won Championships? Steve Young is one. Who else?

  5. #15
    LuckyVike's Avatar
    LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,785

    Re: Steve McNair

    Am I the only person that thinks he's washed up? He's been injured for the past 2 seasons and had some other injuries before these past couple years...
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

  6. #16
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,601

    Re: Steve McNair

    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    Am I the only person that thinks he's washed up? He's been injured for the past 2 seasons and had some other injuries before these past couple years...
    oh no question he is washed up. but theres no reason he cant play another year just for fun. he still good, just not great like he was.
    We're bringing purple back.

  7. #17
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Steve McNair

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I do not think McNair would want to be a mentor or a backup at this point in his career. A lot of teams would take him for a starter.
    I don't want McNair as a backup...I want him as the starter for next year...Daunte will NOT be ready until towards the end of the season AT BEST, so McNair would give us a great chance to win if we can keep him healthy...plus I have always like him as a QB but couldn't root for his team because I hate the Titans, especially their owner. This way, I could root for him to win it all and my team would be the main beneficiary! Plus, I think that his style would fit in really good with the personnel that we have here on offense...he has the savvy that BJ has PLUS the arm to get the ball downfield to KRob and TWill. We are his best shot at a championship next year...then he could retire a champion and Daunte would step in and win the second one (and then the third one in a row for us) and cement the Viking dynasty!!! :cheers:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  8. #18
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Steve McNair

    "gregair13" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    Am I the only person that thinks he's washed up? He's been injured for the past 2 seasons and had some other injuries before these past couple years...
    oh no question he is washed up. but theres no reason he cant play another year just for fun. he still good, just not great like he was.
    Yeah....like BJ was washed up...and Randall was washed up...the fact of the matter is that he has been playing on a sh!t team for the past two years, so he was going to get beat up and stuff but look at his stats from this year...he had some good games, so he still has what it takes.

    Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sack/Lost Rating
    Steve McNair 476 292 3161 61.3 6.6 16 3.4 11 2.3 57 20/134 82.4

    He averaged a little over 200 yards a game with a 61.3% completion percentage (with a high game of 350 or so against the 49ers)...his rating was only 82.4 (but imagine what it would be on a much better team than the Titans). I believe that he still has some life in his body...and all we need is one season out of him...BJ would still be the backup and it would allow us not to have to rush Daunte back...but he would still know that his job is there waiting for him when he was ready. The Titans WILL most likely let McNair go because they are in salary cap he!! right now and they will definitely be in rebuilding mode...heck, they will probably draft a QB and let Volek start until the newbie is ready. We should be ready to swoop up McNair as soon as he is free...especially if Fisher is also available as a Head Coach candidate. :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  9. #19
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Steve McNair

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I do not think McNair would want to be a mentor or a backup at this point in his career. A lot of teams would take him for a starter.
    I don't want McNair as a backup...I want him as the starter for next year...Daunte will NOT be ready until towards the end of the season AT BEST, so McNair would give us a great chance to win if we can keep him healthy...plus I have always like him as a QB but couldn't root for his team because I hate the Titans, especially their owner. This way, I could root for him to win it all and my team would be the main beneficiary! Plus, I think that his style would fit in really good with the personnel that we have here on offense...he has the savvy that BJ has PLUS the arm to get the ball downfield to KRob and TWill. We are his best shot at a championship next year...then he could retire a champion and Daunte would step in and win the second one (and then the third one in a row for us) and cement the Viking dynasty!!! :cheers:
    I think Daunte will be ready to go by season opener honestly, most indications and sources point to that ... though they have been pretty hush hush on things.

  10. #20
    magicci's Avatar
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    oxnard, ca
    Posts
    5,440

    Re: Steve McNair

    "stjmnsota" wrote:
    Do you really think Daunte will take on a mentor? If so, what is wrong with Brad? I doubt he will stoop so low off his mighty throne to take advice. I'm sure Duante is humble as far as NFL player go, but he has needed advice for a long time and why hasn't a coach or someone stepped up? For the same reason they never benched him this year? Afraid they will hurt his feelings?

    I understand you must be careful benching a star QB, but the way his season was going this year, I don't think it would have hurt to sit him for a game or two, put the head set on him and make him watch and talk to Brad. Sometimes that gives a player a spark in their shorts. Seems to have worked for Boller.
    daunte has had mentors before in linehan and frerotte cris carter and jeff george etc. i think it would be cool for daunte to learn a lil from McNair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Steve McNair Shot To Death In Murder-Suicide
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
  2. NFL Trivia Question - Steve McNair edition
    By Zeus in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. Steve McNair announce his retirement
    By HEY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
  4. It's official on Steve McNair: No $50Mill. option bonus
    By Jordan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 02:04 AM
  5. Steve Mcnair is back
    By michaelmazid in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •