Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Steelers Marvel at Quarterback's Recovery

Steelers Marvel at Quarterback's Recovery

New York Times

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- When the Pittsburgh Steelers players first heard about Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident six weeks ago, many feared the worst -- worried more about him living, not about whether he would play football again.

'A lot of players thought he was on his deathbed,' Hines Ward said as the Steelers opened training camp Friday.

Instead, the Super Bowl-winning quarterback is expected to be right there with his teammates when they go through their annual running test Saturday. He's a not-so-big Ben now, having lost some weight as his broken jaw heals, but he's in much better shape than they possibly could have imagined.

During the June 12 accident near downtown Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger flew off his high-performance motorcycle and landed headfirst on a car windshield, resulting in numerous cuts and so much bleeding that he was told he easily could have bled to death at the scene.

'But you look at him, and it's like nothing's happened to him,' guard Kendall Simmons said. 'I'm impressed with the way he looks and I'm excited about him going back out there and throwing the ball around a little bit.'

That might occur as early as Sunday, when the Steelers hold the first practice of their 40th training camp at St. Vincent College.

'Everybody has a sense of relief that goes back to the point where we learned Ben would make a full recovery,' director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. 'To be available right now, it's really, truly a blessing. We're happy not only for him but for Ben the person, to be able to function fully.'

Colbert said there are no plans to put Roethlisberger on the physically unable to perform list, a procedural move that would allow the Steelers to activate him after the season started if it turned out he needed more recovery time.

Apparently, there's no need for that. The Steelers expect him to be ready for the Sept. 7 opener against Miami, and Roethlisberger likely will take about as many snaps in exhibition play as he did last year -- or, not very many.

'Everything has worked out for the best,' Ward said.

Most of his teammates have seen Roethlisberger since the accident, as he attended the now-retired Jerome Bettis' recent wedding in Jamaica. Several players said Friday that he apologized to them then, saying he never meant to jeopardize their chances of repeating their Super Bowl championship by getting hurt riding his motorcycle without a helmet.

Ward said there was no second-guessing of Roethlisberger by teammates.

'We all make mistakes in life, and it's an unfortunate incident that happened,' Ward said. 'We're not going to harp on the past. It's just great to have him in camp early.'

Roethlisberger did not speak to reporters Friday, but is expected to talk following Saturday's run test.

As the Steelers players rolled into camp before their 6 p.m. reporting deadline, one trend quickly developed: There were no Super Bowl rings in evidence, but a number of vintage cars from the 1970s.

Player after player arrived driving a restored Impala, Caprice or Cutlass Supreme, most of them repainted and retooled with fancy sound systems and oversized wheels.

Maybe after finally proving they could live up to the Steelers teams of the 1970s by winning a Super Bowl, they decided to drive the cars those Steelers may have driven back then.

As for the lack of rings, Ward said the explanation was simple.

'Last year was last year,' he said. 'We're not going to talk about what happened last year. Every year's different, and this is 2006. We're not looking at the past. It's over.'

The Steelers made one roster move by releasing former Pitt quarterback Rod Rutherford, who spent time on their practice squad last season. They also added NFL Europe wide receiver Marvin Allen, who will spend the season on their practice squad and cannot be activated.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Steelers Marvel at Quarterback's Recovery

Eh, ANYONE can look good in touch-football. Let's see how he takes it when opposing DE's and DT's jump on him and lay a good hit to his helmet.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wears one of those anti-concussion helmets that Ernie Sims and a few others are expected to wear this season.

I live here in Steeler country and I think I will be happy if we take him out in that pre-season game! :lol:

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If he won't wear a helmet when he rides, then he should push for the NFL not to make him wear one when he plays. I hope we crush him.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

double post, whoops.

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    I live here in Steeler country and I think I will be happy if we take him out in that pre-season game! :lol:
    Hopefully we take out Ward too. :smile:

Or maybe we can take out Faneca, Marvel Smith, and maybe another lineman(the real superbowl MVPS, besides the referees of course), and we can just prove how terrible their skill positions really are.
    Or do the opposite, and just take out their all of their skill positions, and see no difference in the way the team performs. Then the media will finally give the Steeler's credit where it is due, and I can stop screaming at everyone who speaks so highly of Hines Ward and Roethlisberger, and Willie Parker.

I yell at my TV when ESPN is on because they relate every football topic to the Steelers, I yell at my brother and uncle for giving credit to Roethlisberger and Ward, the other day I ever told some random guy sitting near me in a local restaurant how wrong he was about the Steelers.

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    And by Steeler country I assume you mean

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

I kinda like Big Ben... Of course he's a dumbass for riding without a helmet, and I'll acknowledge he's overrated by the media, but I think for a second (now third) year QB he manages the game pretty well.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I have no complaints about B. Johnson, but I'd still take Big Ben over him.

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:
    And by Steeler country I assume you mean

[size=18px]Nope, This is.....[/size]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast