Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Prophet Guest

Re: Steelers '05 = Vikings '06

"petrodemos" wrote:
    "Mr Anderson" wrote:
    No.

Even if we win the super bowl our fans will give credit to the right people, unlike the Steelers, who give all the credit to their truly untalented skill position players, and Joey Porter.

If you put pretty much any other teams O-line on the steeler team, they would be fighting for last place in the league. Same goes for their defense, if it weren't for Foote, Farrior, and their D-line, the D would be awful. The one guy on that team who recieves a ton of praise, who actually deserves it is Troy Polamalu, the guys a beast.

Edit: one more thing, why is our secondary always so under rated, we were 2nd in the league in interception last season, and have 3 players who have made the probowl at some point in their career, we have probably the best, or atleast arguably the best ballhawking Free safety in the league, and 2 real shut down corners. The one thing that's unproven is the SS spot, but Tank Williams is not a bad player.

On ESPN they ranked our pass defense 17th, and I always hear people call our secondary "decent"(no offense prophet). I dont know if those ranking are based on secondary alone, or pass rush and secondary skill, but either way, we should have been way higher than 17, our D-line, and secondary are both excellent IMO, all we need is the glue, linebackers, to bring them together.
    shut down corners huh? guess you missed the carolina game last year.
    I wouldn't go so far as saying they are shut-down corners, but they are above average. The Steve Smith fiasco was a combination of him being outstanding, horrible coaching (leaving him in single coverage when he was having a career day), and the corners being exposed. I would go with better then average and leave it at that. Hopefully the new coaching staff will adapt their game plan based on what is going on during the game.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    I wouldn't go so far as saying they are shut-down corners, but they are above average. The Steve Smith fiasco was a combination of him being outstanding, horrible coaching (leaving him in single coverage when he was having a career day), and the corners being exposed. I would go with better then average and leave it at that. Hopefully the new coaching staff will adapt their game plan based on what is going on during the game.
    Antoine Winfield is the top tackling CB in the league - I don't think you'll get much argument on that. But he's not a big pass-break-up guy - he's someone you throw at and he makes the tackle if the catch is made. Not likely to get beat much 1-on-1.

Fred Smoot was an unmitigated disaster last year with the Vikes. With the Redskins, he was okay - but playing with quality partners like Champ Bailey and Shawn Springs definitely helped him out.

Brian Williams was on the way to being one of the top CBs in the league and it's a farking shame that Vikes MGMT screwed that up so badly last year. I'd much rather have him paired with Winfield than Smoot - but now he's gone, so Freddy "Smack-Talker" Smoot needs to step up and prove that he's worth the money.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I will admit the Steelers won.

The Colts were a headcase because Tony Dungy was headcase. The lose of his son was a dark cloud over the whole team.

I don't think the Steelers will repeat.

The stats to me show how magical the season was. Minnesota blew it's Super Bowl season in 98.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Antoine Winfield is the top tackling CB in the league - I don't think you'll get much argument on that. But he's not a big pass-break-up guy - he's someone you throw at and he makes the tackle if the catch is made. Not likely to get beat much 1-on-1.

Fred Smoot was an unmitigated disaster last year with the Vikes. With the Redskins, he was okay - but playing with quality partners like Champ Bailey and Shawn Springs definitely helped him out.

Brian Williams was on the way to being one of the top CBs in the league and it's a farking shame that Vikes MGMT screwed that up so badly last year. I'd much rather have him paired with Winfield than Smoot - but now he's gone, so Freddy "Smack-Talker" Smoot needs to step up and prove that he's worth the money.

=Z=

Our secondary IMO is probably one of the deepest and best positions we have. Tomlin will only make us better, the guy has a winning past and knows what hes doing. While I didnt like the loss of B-Will cuz I felt like he really stepped his game up last year, I know we still have a top 10 secondary.I think Cedric Griffen has all the tools to be a mean nickle back for us this year. I really started to like the play of Davonte Edwards for us last year and I'm excited to see him play this season. Smoot had a bad year...nuff said, but like many of you, I expect to see a big change in his play and mouth this year. Winfield in my non biased opionion, should be considered one of the top 3 CB's in the NFL. While he dosnt have the height to defend the pass like other CB's...if his man catches it, you should just go ahead and chalk up a tackle on his stat sheet.I think our secondary is miles ahead of Pitt's and miles ahead of teams around the NFL.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AWZeus" wrote:
    I'd much rather have him paired with Winfield than Smoot - but now he's gone, so Freddy "Smack-Talker" Smoot needs to step up and prove that he's worth the money.

=Z=
    Yawn.

I almost posted a more indepth reply to this, but I realized that not only did Prophet already post a great synopsis of the coaching impact on Smoot, but that would also be hijacking this thread into a Smoot debate.

So I will refrain. :grin:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Our secondary is not deep. The backups have tons of potential, but depth would be much better provided by veteran backups. If Smoot or Winfield go down who starts? Griffin? Edwards? Whitaker?

I think if we kept the same secondary together for two years it would be incredibly deep, but some of the guys are just too young and inexperienced right now.

Overall the team is young, especially our backups.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    I'd much rather have him paired with Winfield than Smoot - but now he's gone, so Freddy "Smack-Talker" Smoot needs to step up and prove that he's worth the money.

=Z=
    Yawn.

I almost posted a more indepth reply to this, but I realized that not only did Prophet already post a great synopsis of the coaching impact on Smoot, but that would also be hijacking this thread into a Smoot debate.

So I will refrain. :grin:
    Refrain or post all you want.

You do need to remember, tho, that I had the opportunity to see EVERY game that Smoot played prior to his Vikings career, as I lived in Redskins country, so I've actually seen something beyond the limited exposure that Vikings fans have.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"V-Unit" wrote:
    Our secondary is not deep. The backups have tons of potential, but depth would be much better provided by veteran backups. If Smoot or Winfield go down who starts? Griffin? Edwards? Whitaker?

I think if we kept the same secondary together for two years it would be incredibly deep, but some of the guys are just too young and inexperienced right now.

Overall the team is young, especially our backups.
    While I agree with the points you made...alot of teams in the NFL would give thier right testie to have the CB's we do. As far as the younger guys go (Griffen, Davonte), I too would be a little worried if Smoot or Winfield went down ( Knock on wood). However I think that our backups are fully capable of being quality replacements/starters.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

never thought of it like that lol, i dont know if we have the super bowl in reach this year, but man would i love to see some purple in the SB

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123