Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Steelers '05 = Vikings '06

Yes, I'm having an acid flashback. Bear with me.

Following are a few stats for the '05 SB Champs, Steelers. The champs had a consistent QB (5th in QB rating), consistent running game (5th in yds/game), a top-tier defense (4th overall) and a good special teams unit. Their passing game was ranked at the bottom of the heap, but the receivers got the job done.

The Steelers ranked 15th in total offense (5th rushing yds/game, 25th in passing) and fourth in total defense (3rd in rushing yds allowed/game, 16th in passing yds allowed/game, 18th in total sacks). Their special teams were second in return yds. They had a middle of the pack overall offensive rating with a top-tier rushing game and bottom-tier passing game.

Roethlisberger was ranked 21st in yds passing, 2nd in yds/att, 15th in TDs, and 5th in overall QB rating. So, he was consistent and the receivers were successful in getting the ball downfield. Hines Ward was fourth in longest receptions and TDs, but 26th in YAC and 39th in average yds/rec. but 22nd in yards. Cedrick Wilson was tenth in ave. yds/rec. and Qunicy Morgan was 12th in ave. yds/rec. The other receivers making the top rankings were Antwaan Randle El with an ave. of 22 yds/rec. and ranked 29th in longest receptions as well as Heath Miller who ranked 30th in TDs. They ranked 5th in overall rushing yds/game led by Willie Parker. Parker was 12th in rushing yds, 13th in ave. yds/carry, 33rd in rushing TDs (thanks to Bettis ranking 11th in rushing TDs), and fourth in the longest run category. Ike Taylor ranked second in average return yds in the league and Jeff Reed was ranked seventh in the kicker category.

The Vikings have a revamped O-line, a decent RB, a consistent QB, a reasonable receiving corps, a good defensive line, a decent secondary, and an LB corps that has potential. Can they be the champs in '06? With my purple shades on and a few hits from the crack pipe I say yes. The possibility is there.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Steelers '05 = Vikings '06

from anybody else id say they were crazy but from prophet...he may be on to something
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I've thought about this comparision for awhile now. My step father being a Pitt native, is a Steeler fan. So just like the Bucs I follow them a lil more then most teams. I really think our team is more like the 04 Steelers. Who saw thier Vetern QB go down and saw thier rookie QB step up.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

boognish is offline Coordinator

Quit it...quit it now. Didn't you learn last year not to predict SuperBowls for the Vikings. I figure anything over 0.500 is gravy this season. You better delete this thread quick before some Packer fan shows up to laugh at you :wink:
    I am a dipshit!!!

Prophet, didn't you post the Crow-Eating topic? :wink:

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    I've thought about this comparision for awhile now. My step father being a Pitt native, is a Steeler fan. So just like the Bucs I follow them a lil more then most teams. I really think our team is more like the 04 Steelers. Who saw thier Vetern QB go down and saw thier rookie QB step up.
    :shock: I'm pretty sure Roethlisberger as a rookie was a little different than Tarvaris as a rookie. I would be incredibly surprised if we see Tarvaris at all this year, and he certainly won't be the one to step in if Johnson goes down.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think the Bucs from a few yeas back, last year's Steelers, and even last year's Bears have proven that a good D and average O can get you farther than a good O and average D.

It may be a little weird to fans who have come to love the Vikings over the past decade, when we tended to have the best offense paired with the worst defense, but I think it is a step in the right direction. My purple glasses make me think that we should definately reach the playoffs this year, although I may need to borrow Prophet's crack pipe before I can say that the Superbowl is within our grasp... :grin:

While the goal is always to win the Superbowl, I would consider making the playoffs a minor victory. If it was a playoff game at home, I would be stoked. What was the last home playoff game we had? 2000 against NO?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

"Displaced_Viking" wrote:
    Prophet, didn't you post the Crow-Eating topic? :wink:
    I have a few fallback items in the post:

1)Acid Flashback
    2)Purple Shades
    3)Smoking Crack

My memory will be shorter than a politician's...unless it comes to fruition.

We are in the NFC North. Of course the Super Bowl will always be in our grasp haha.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

As a Viking fan, you just want to shout out yes, that they will have a great shot at winning the SB.. If they play the way they can, and play up to their potential, then yes they can win the SB.. Now lets hope they go out and do it..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast