Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Lions)

[size=13pt]Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Lions)[/size]

By Chris Lempesis
    mvn.com

June 26th, 2008

As you might know, I recently did a three-part series of posts on the respective offseasons of Minnesota’s NFC North competition....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Li

Does this guy have any idea what he's talking about?

At left tackle, things were quite a bit closer in the battle between Chad Clifton (Packers) and Bryant McKinnie (Vikings). Funny thing about these two players: Both are considered to be amongst the best left tackles in the league, yet neither has been voted to a Pro Bowl (although Clifton has gone as an alternate). That doesn’t mean they’re not very good, it’s just something that strikes me as interesting.

That being the case, I am giving the overall advantage to Clifton because, while both are very good in pass protection, Clifton is a better run blocker.
    McKinnie is a good pass protector but Clifton is a better run blocker?
    McKinnie is lousy at pass protection and a dominating run blocker...

Also, Herrera did nothing to impress him?
    I think he's off his rocker in terms of analyzing the offensive lines.

Other then that, the rest of the article wasn't bad.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Lions)

Except from the part where he says the Vikings are "only slightly" better at runningback and his questionable analyse of the offensive lines, this was an interesting read.
    I'm looking forward to part two (but it should be a little batter than the first)

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Li

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

At left tackle, things were quite a bit closer in the battle between Chad Clifton (Packers) and Bryant McKinnie (Vikings). Funny thing about these two players: Both are considered to be amongst the best left tackles in the league, yet neither has been voted to a Pro Bowl (although Clifton has gone as an alternate). That doesn’t mean they’re not very good, it’s just something that strikes me as interesting.

That being the case, I am giving the overall advantage to Clifton because, while both are very good in pass protection, Clifton is a better run blocker.

I would have to agree.

Maybe he missed the games were Herrera actually pulled, made his block and still stayed with our RB's going into the endzone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

I would have to agree.

Maybe he missed the games were Herrera actually pulled, made his block and still stayed with our RB's going into the endzone.

I'm going to disagree with his statement that, if TJ goes down and GF has to come in for any long period of time, we are done....This is total bullshit, and it wouldn't suprise me if the Vikings players rallyed around Gus and we went on one hell of a winning streak and yes, I believe in a big game like the SB, Gus's Veteran leadership could even shine thru and lead us to victory.......
    Advantage: Vikings big time.

Who the hell does GB
    have for a backup?....It sure isn't Fumblepepper, not that he would do them any good either..... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Stand up if you’re the best team in the NFC North (not so fast, Bears and Lions)

Anthony Herrera is one of my favorite Vikings right now. I love his aggressive play and really enjoy him pulling and getting those downfield blocks. He plays with fire and emotion, and is a smack talker out on the field, that fires up his linemates. What he lacks in finese he makes up for with a nasty attitude. I'll take five more just like him.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"HEY" wrote:
    Except from the part where he says the Vikings are "only slightly" better at runningback and his questionable analyse of the offensive lines, this was an interesting read.
    I'm looking forward to part two (but it should be a little batter than the first)
    Yea, he went down a line of rationale that took him way off the mark on this one.
    If you're strictly judging the RB position, MN has a huge edge over GB.
    Grant had a good year and will probably be solid, but he is far from a great RB.
    I would take Chester over him.
    Talent-wise, MN is far superior at RB than GB.

Don't know what his final analysis will reveal in terms of who has the better chance of winning the division.
    It's mostly aimed at how they matchup against each other talent-wise, which is only part of the equation.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If I Had to draw my own comparison, it would go like this

QB- Tie
    RB- Vikings
    FB- Packers
    TE- Packers
    LT- Packers
    LG- Vikings
    C - Vikings
    RG- Vikings
    RT- Packers
    WR1- Packers
    WR2- Packers

Offense: Packers 6-4-1

LDE- Packers
    RDE- Vikings
    DT1- Vikings
    DT2- Vikings
    CB1- VIkings
    CB2- Packers
    SLB- Packers
    (can't remember which one Hawk plays, but i'm matching up Hawk and Leber)
    MLB- Vikigns
    WLB- Vikings
    FS
    -
    Vikigns
    SS -
    Vikings

Defense:
    Vikings 8-3

P - Vikings
    K - Vikings

Special Teams: Vikings 2-0

Coaches

DC
    -Vikings
    OC
    - Packers
    HC - Packers
    (not a chilly hater, but you need a good coach to make a team that young make a serious run at the superbowl like they did last year)

Coaches Packers 2-1

Overall
    VIkings 15-11-1

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

I would have to agree.

I'm going to disagree with his statement that, if TJ goes down and GF has to come in for any long period of time, we are done....This is total bullshit, and it wouldn't suprise me if the Vikings players rallyed around Gus and we went on one hell of a winning streak and yes, I believe in a big game like the SB, Gus's Veteran leadership could even shine thru and lead us to victory.......

Advantage: Vikings big time.

Who the hell does GB
    have for a backup?....It sure isn't Fumblepepper, not that he would do them any good either..... ;D
    I don't see how you can see Gus Frerotte any differently than Bollinger, Holcomb, or Johnson at this point in the offseason. All those guys had "veteran leadership" too. Last year, when TJ went down, we didn't rally, we went 0-4. They have the talent to offset our experience, making the QB position a tie.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    If I Had to draw my own comparison, it would go like this

QB- Tie
    RB- Vikings
    FB- Packers
    TE- Packers
    LT- Packers
    LG- Vikings
    C - Vikings
    RG- Vikings
    RT- Packers
    WR1- Packers
    WR2- Packers

Offense: Packers 6-4-1

LDE- Packers
    RDE- Vikings
    DT1- Vikings
    DT2- Vikings
    CB1- VIkings
    CB2- Packers
    SLB- Packers
    (can't remember which one Hawk plays, but i'm matching up Hawk and Leber)
    MLB- Vikigns
    WLB- Vikings
    FS
    -
    Vikigns
    SS -

Vikings

Defense:
    Vikings 8-3

P - Vikings
    K - Vikings

Special Teams: Vikings 2-0

Coaches

DC
    -Vikings
    OC
    - Packers
    HC - Packers
    (not a chilly hater, but you need a good coach to make a team that young make a serious run at the superbowl like they did last year)

Coaches Packers 2-1

Overall
    VIkings 15-11-1
    Nice breakdown bleed.

I gotta go with you on the coaches as well but I somehow wonder if I would feel the same if they had Lord Farvreeeeee running our offense instead of a young, raw kid like TJ who was basically learning on the fly.

Again, nice breakdown.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast