Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Stallworth over legal limit when he hit and killed pedestrian

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I don't want to come off as a jiggly butt here, however, if he was over the limit he needs to be fried, or at least punished to the fullest extent.

Sure almost all of us have done this at one point or another, however, just because we have and got away with it doesn't alleviate that it is wrong and should carry the most severe of punishments cause it sure the hell can result in the gravest of situations......Loss of a life.
    So do you think all DUI should be punished to the fullest extent, sure most of the time nobody dies, but they could. Start throwing all of the millions that get DUI's in this country in prison for 10years and DUI's will drop.
    Yes I do.

I learned my lesson, thank goodness, without any dire consequences.......Just don't drink and drive anymore.
    Not only is it dumb, it is dumb.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I don't want to come off as a jiggly butt here, however, if he was over the limit he needs to be fried, or at least punished to the fullest extent.

Sure almost all of us have done this at one point or another, however, just because we have and got away with it doesn't alleviate that it is wrong and should carry the most severe of punishments cause it sure the hell can result in the gravest of situations......Loss of a life.
    So do you think all DUI should be punished to the fullest extent, sure most of the time nobody dies, but they could. Start throwing all of the millions that get DUI's in this country in prison for 10years and DUI's will drop.
    Yes I do.

I learned my lesson, thank goodness, without any dire consequences.......Just don't drink and drive anymore.
    I see where your coming from, and I'm sure many would agree. I just don't think you want to ruin a young persons life over a mistake. Charging some one with a felony should be reserved for the most serious crimes because that stays with you for life.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Yes I do.

I see where your coming from, and I'm sure many would agree. I just don't think you want to ruin a young persons life over a mistake. Charging some one with a felony should be reserved for the most serious crimes because that stays with you for life.
    I hear ya but think about it.
    You are basically saying we, the public shouldn't support punishing someone for doing something he clearly understands carries heavy consequences if it goes wrong....

Nope, I call that responsibility.
    Everyone knows what can happen and it is thier OWN responsibility if it goes wrong...
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

16,005 people were killed in the United States in alcohol-related* motor vehicle traffic crashes (BAC of .01 or higher).

In 2006, 1,794 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle crashes. Of those 1,794 fatalities, 306 (17%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Children riding in vehicles with drivers who had a BAC level of .08 or higher accounted for half (153) of these deaths.
    http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

Enough said really.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I think the way the system is now allows for people to make that mistake one time.
    Sure you get F'd over with insurance, fines, etc., but your life is not over due to one DUI.

If you drove drunk and didn't kill anybody you shouldn't be punished as if you had.
    You shouldn't sit and rot in prison for 10 years because you drank 2 beers in one hour then tried to drive home only to get pulled over because you unknowingly had a brake light out.
    Cops smells alcohol on your breath, you blow a .081 and off you go in the 5-0 cruiser to your 10 year vacation in the klink.

Now if you hit and kill somebody that is a whole different animal.
    If the pedestrian was jay walking (or somehow at fault) I think that should be taken into consideration during sentencing.
    If the driver hit the pedestrian because he was buzzed up and fiddling with the radio than blast them for the full extent allowable.

Punishment should fit the crime IMO.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Yes I do.

I hear ya but think about it.
    You are basically saying we, the public shouldn't support punishing someone for doing something he clearly understands carries heavy consequences if it goes wrong....

Nope, I call that responsibility.
    Everyone knows what can happen and it is thier OWN responsibility if it goes wrong...
    I agree but I think you have to put a limit on it. Why not life in prison?
    I think normally DUI charges are about right, heavy fines, loss of license for 3-12months, jail or probation for 3months to a year. 2nd time double all of those, 3rd time shit has to hit the fan. l
    I just don't think a person should be punished based on the results. Kinda like the person that puts a gun to someones head and pulls the trigger, but by some miracle the person survives they are only charged with attempted murder, while someone that punches someone and that person by some miracle dies they are charged with murder. Punish the actions not the results.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Yes I do.

You are aware that people, innocent people, die as a result of drunk driving right? I mean, elderly, kids, Joe Schmo coming home to the wife and kids, teenagers.. all can die as the result of someone else drinking and driving. Nobody is immune to getting hit by a drunk driver.

Innocent people die..

THAT sticks with people for the rest of their families lives. You're f'n crazy if you think I'm going to feel sorry for the perpetrator when the victim dies and their families are the ones dealing with the grief for the rest of their lives. I will not shed one tear for the drunk driver if he gets caught when there are countless other innocent lives at stake.

Drunk driving is a serious crime.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Daunte's pretty fast... I'd start running.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"happy" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Yes I do.

You are aware that people, innocent people, die as a result of drunk driving right? I mean, elderly, kids, Joe Schmo coming home to the wife and kids, teenagers.. all can die as the result of someone else drinking and driving. Nobody is immune to getting hit by a drunk driver.

Innocent people die..

THAT sticks with people for the rest of their families lives. You're f'n crazy if you think I'm going to feel sorry for the perpetrator when the victim dies and their families are the ones dealing with the grief for the rest of their lives. I will not shed one tear for the drunk driver if he gets caught when there are countless other innocent lives at stake.

Drunk driving is a serious crime.
    Innocent people also die because of Gun accidents, or speeding accidents, or running stop sign accidents. Drinking and driving is a serious crime but I don't think it warrants a felony. Stallworth will have to live with this on his consciounce for the rest of his life, but I don't think he should spend the next 15 years in prison(the maximum according to the article), and be stripped of his right to vote. This doesn't make stallworth any worse than the millions of American's that have driven while intoxicated(myself included), just less fortunate.
    Does anyone know, is this a first offense?

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

A man has been found guilty in the shooting death of Siretha White at her 2006 birthday party.

White was struck by a stray bullet while at her aunt's home in the Englewood neighborhood on March 12, 2006. Her family had just surprised her with a birthday party. She would have turned 11-years old two days later.

On Wednesday, Moses Phillips, who was 19 at the time of the shooting, was convicted in the girl's death. Prosecutors said Phillips was settling a score with rival gang members who were on the porch at the home where White was shot. Multiple gunshots were fired that way, and one of the stray bullets struck White, who was inside the front room of the home.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6691199

I'm sure this guy feels terrible about what he did. He wasn't trying to hurt the girl, he just did something really stupid and accidentally killed her. He'll have to think about it for the rest of his life..they should've let him go but just this one time.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast