Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6-KINGS Guest

Re: Something weird I was thinking of

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Gosh, who was that? I think it was Woody Hayes who actually did that in college. He was kind of unravelling as it was, and that pretty much spelled the end of his career. He was a coach for Ohio State, I think.

According to the NFL rules:

15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)

8. Palpably unfair act. (Distance penalty determined by the Referee after consultation with other officials.)

Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.)

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/penaltysummaries
    Man I think that is it!
    It had something to do with Woody I think.

tosstomoss is offline Starter

that would be just @#%$%$ funny to see

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Well check this out. It's not the play I'm thinking of, but its pretty close:

http://www.wosu.org/tv/woody/video.php?section=doc_gator_bowl&type=wmv&speed=lo
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    Gosh, who was that? I think it was Woody Hayes who actually did that in college. He was kind of unravelling as it was, and that pretty much spelled the end of his career. He was a coach for Ohio State, I think.

According to the NFL rules:

15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)

8. Palpably unfair act. (Distance penalty determined by the Referee after consultation with other officials.)

Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.)

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/penaltysummaries
    Man I think that is it!
    It had something to do with Woody I think.
    Yeah, he actually didn't come off the bench and tackle the guy, he PUNCHED him after he was tackled after intercepting the ball...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone had thought about this before. A few times during last years season, when I was watching a game where a player broke free along the opposing teams sidelines and was clearly gone for a game changing TD, I thought of this. Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if say a player on the opposing teams sidelines came out and tackled the guy, to stop him from getting the TD? I mean what could the refs do? They could kick the player out and the league could fine him, and the team would get a 15 yard penalty, but it may save the game in some cases.

I can't think of this ever happening, but every time I see a guy streaking down the sidelines, I always wait for someone to at least stick a foot out and trip the guy. :lol:

I think it would be funny as he!! to see it happen, as long as it didn't happen to us and cause us to lose the game of course.

Now that I think about it, I guess the game would be finished under protest and the outcome probably would be overturned by the league.

Just something I thought about before and wondered if anyone else ever thought about it.
    I believe the team would be awarded a touchdown in this instance. The player obviously would be ejected and subject to further league discipline.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Secondly, it would break an "unwritten" rule held by many teams. The team would not be pleased. Just imagine what would happen if Brett Favre ran onto the field and tackled Burleson, what we would all do?

I would laugh my @ss off. Why? (1)because Favre couldn't tackle Burleson, (2)because Favre would be suspened for a long time by the league and they would be stuck with the rook, (3)because the league would still give us the win, when we protested the game, and last but not least(4)BECAUSE IT WOULD BE FUNNY. :grin:
    If favre did it they wouldn't suspend him, they'd go on and on about how competitive he is.

[color=red]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12