Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Something weird I was thinking of

    I was wondering if anyone had thought about this before. A few times during last years season, when I was watching a game where a player broke free along the opposing teams sidelines and was clearly gone for a game changing TD, I thought of this. Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if say a player on the opposing teams sidelines came out and tackled the guy, to stop him from getting the TD? I mean what could the refs do? They could kick the player out and the league could fine him, and the team would get a 15 yard penalty, but it may save the game in some cases.

    I can't think of this ever happening, but every time I see a guy streaking down the sidelines, I always wait for someone to at least stick a foot out and trip the guy. :lol:

    I think it would be funny as he!! to see it happen, as long as it didn't happen to us and cause us to lose the game of course.

    Now that I think about it, I guess the game would be finished under protest and the outcome probably would be overturned by the league.

    Just something I thought about before and wondered if anyone else ever thought about it.

  2. #2
    6-KINGS Guest

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    It has happened before.
    The player came off the sidelines, tackled the ball carrier and then ran back to the bench and sat down like nothing ever happened.
    It was a long time ago, in a college game I believe.
    ESPN will show it from time to time.

  3. #3
    akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    I like the Nike commercial where T.O. is running and a player on the sidelines throws the Gatorade Barrel at him. Too bad he hurdles it :sad:

  4. #4
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    It has happened before.
    The player came off the sidelines, tackled the ball carrier and then ran back to the bench and sat down like nothing ever happened.
    It was a long time ago, in a college game I believe.
    ESPN will show it from time to time.

    I guess a coach could always send the marching band out there to knock the guy down and save the game too. Although that guy managed to not get tackled by the band and score a game winning TD. :lol:

    I have never seen that though, on ESPN. I would laugh my @ss off if I saw it happen during a game.

  5. #5
    canadian_vikes_fan's Avatar
    canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    Why don't you just shoot the guy?? :lol:

    First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if the leauge suspended the guy for a LONG time.

    Secondly, it would break an "unwritten" rule held by many teams. The team would not be pleased. Just imagine what would happen if Brett Favre ran onto the field and tackled Burleson, what we would all do?

    Thanks PPE for the sig.

  6. #6
    canadian_vikes_fan's Avatar
    canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    It has happened before.
    The player came off the sidelines, tackled the ball carrier and then ran back to the bench and sat down like nothing ever happened.
    It was a long time ago, in a college game I believe.
    ESPN will show it from time to time.

    I guess a coach could always send the marching band out there to knock the guy down and save the game too. Although that guy managed to not get tackled by the band and score a game winning TD. :lol:

    I have never seen that though, on ESPN. I would laugh my @ss off if I saw it happen during a game.
    Would you laugh your ass off if it was the Vikings?

    Thanks PPE for the sig.

  7. #7
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Why don't you just shoot the guy?? :lol:

    First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if the leauge suspended the guy for a LONG time.

    Secondly, it would break an "unwritten" rule held by many teams. The team would not be pleased. Just imagine what would happen if Brett Favre ran onto the field and tackled Burleson, what we would all do?
    Do you seriously think that Favre could even tackle Burleson? I want to see him try. Actually, I want to see him tackle Pat Williams. :twisted:

  8. #8
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Secondly, it would break an "unwritten" rule held by many teams. The team would not be pleased. Just imagine what would happen if Brett Favre ran onto the field and tackled Burleson, what we would all do?

    I would laugh my @ss off. Why? (1)because Favre couldn't tackle Burleson, (2)because Favre would be suspened for a long time by the league and they would be stuck with the rook, (3)because the league would still give us the win, when we protested the game, and last but not least(4)BECAUSE IT WOULD BE FUNNY. :grin:

  9. #9
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    Well if there are any FSU fans on the boards they know it can happen. Their QB with Lyme disease (i still say he was on drugs) ran off the sideline and tackled a DEFENSIVE player in an offseason workout this spring, lol.

  10. #10
    LosAngelis's Avatar
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,735

    Re: Something weird I was thinking of

    Gosh, who was that? I think it was Woody Hayes who actually did that in college. He was kind of unravelling as it was, and that pretty much spelled the end of his career. He was a coach for Ohio State, I think.

    According to the NFL rules:

    15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)

    8. Palpably unfair act. (Distance penalty determined by the Referee after consultation with other officials.)

    Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

    1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.)


    http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/penaltysummaries
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

    Welcome to the NFC North.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Weird 911 facts
    By tdunc in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
  2. What is with all the weird QB injuries?
    By Garland Greene in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
  3. Weird
    By cc21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 06:41 AM
  4. so weird!
    By Lotza in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
  5. Has your ISP been "weird" or slow lately?...here's why
    By mnjamie in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 12:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •