Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Some NFL player may Amaechi himself?

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    [quote author=PurplePeopleEaters link=topic=32995.msg560096#msg560096 date=1175702903]
    [quote author=LuckyVike link=topic=32995.msg559945#msg559945 date=1175667881]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=32995.msg559905#msg559905 date=1175658022]
    [quote author=LuckyVike link=topic=32995.msg559815#msg559815 date=1175647884]
    So that is our difference, you believe some are born with *EDIT* but I believe it's a choice they make.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I doubt either of us will budge on that anytime soon.
    I can honestly say that I don't ever want to meet you.
    That might be the single most disgusting thing I've ever read on PPO.

=Z=
    I can honestly say I don't give a gol 'darnit about anything you say.
    I'm heartbroken that you don't want to meet me, it was really something I wanted to do with my life.
    I honestly hope that you find out that someone close to you is ***. How would that make you feel? Maybe that would put things in perspective. Would it still be a disease if you found out your best friend was ***?
    I wouldn't change my mind no matter who I found out was ***.
    I would never associate myself with that person again, family or not.
    Wait you think it is a disease they are born with yet you would not be associated with them ever again? Why? What if they want to be cured?
    [/quote]
    Unfortunately, the ONLY known cure is that they ALL have to sleep with Del Rio!

[/quote]

If that is my calling then so be it, Cajun come get your cure.
    [/quote]

Don't be too rough, he's sensitive and chaps easily.

[/quote]

Sounds like someone who has already experienced Del Rio's "charms"!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"Del" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=LuckyVike link=topic=32995.msg559815#msg559815 date=1175647884]
    So that is our difference, you believe some are born with *EDIT* but I believe it's a choice they make.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I doubt either of us will budge on that anytime soon.

=Z=
    I'm heartbroken that you don't want to meet me, it was really something I wanted to do with my life.
    I honestly hope that you find out that someone close to you is ***. How would that make you feel? Maybe that would put things in perspective. Would it still be a disease if you found out your best friend was ***?
    Wait you think it is a disease they are born with yet you would not be associated with them ever again? Why? What if they want to be cured?
    [/quote]

I didn't say they were born with the problem, I said it was a choice they make.
    Also, I used disease in this sense:

dis·ease
    n.
    1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
    2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
    3. Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble.

The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    But at the same time the Old Testament sets down laws for us to live by, which include the 10 Commandments and others, which is what I'm referring to.
    I don't like to get involved in this ethical stuff but I feel the need to say this.
    The Old Testament and even the New Testament say a lot of crazy stuff.
    You cannot pick and choose which to follow.
    Are these the others you are talking about?

Laws of Rape
    (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.
    Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

What kind of lunatic would make a rape victim marry her attacker

In regards to this, there is a VERY good explanation. At the time Deuteronomy was written, women were regarded as less than animals. They could be raped and beaten with NO repercussions. In this case, the Bible set down a punishment for raping the woman. Not only must he pay her father for his crime, but he must also SUPPORT the woman for the REST of his life. In this case, the Bible was way ahead of its time.

"Billy" wrote:
    David's Punishment - Polygamy, Rape, Baby Killing, and God's "Forgiveness" (2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB)

Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house.
    I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor.
    He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight.
    You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'

This has got to be one of the sickest quotes of the Bible.
    God himself brings the completely innocent rape victims to the rapist.

This verse says nothing about bringing them to be raped. God says that David's household will rebel against him and his wives will lay with another (AKA have sex with) before all of Israel. He didn't deliver anyone to be raped.

"" wrote:

Slaves - (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.
    If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.
    But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.
    And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.
    If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.
    If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

Slaves in the New Testament (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.
    Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

This is from Ephesians, one of Paul's letters. Paul addresses a TON of cultural issues in his letters to the Romans, Ephesians, Corinthians, etc. Things like women wearing head coverings, women speaking in church, and slaves. All of these things (including slavery) were ingrained in society at the time these letters were written, and Paul was not concerned with a social revolution.

Paul was concerned with establishing a successful church in these areas. He was concerned with settling squabbles and having social unity so that a Christian church could be founded and maintained in these areas. The verses on slavery in the Bible are in no way an endorsement of slavery, they are merely rules to live by at the time.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    But at the same time the Old Testament sets down laws for us to live by, which include the 10 Commandments and others, which is what I'm referring to.
    I don't like to get involved in this ethical stuff but I feel the need to say this.
    The Old Testament and even the New Testament say a lot of crazy stuff.
    You cannot pick and choose which to follow.
    Are these the others you are talking about?

Laws of Rape

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.
    Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

What kind of lunatic would make a rape victim marry her attacker

In regards to this, there is a VERY good explanation. At the time Deuteronomy was written, women were regarded as less than animals. They could be raped and beaten with NO repercussions. In this case, the Bible set down a punishment for raping the woman. Not only must he pay her father for his crime, but he must also SUPPORT the woman for the REST of his life. In this case, the Bible was way ahead of its time.

"Billy" wrote:
    David's Punishment - Polygamy, Rape, Baby Killing, and God's "Forgiveness" (2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB)

Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house.
    I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor.
    He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight.
    You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'

This has got to be one of the sickest quotes of the Bible.
    God himself brings the completely innocent rape victims to the rapist.

This verse says nothing about bringing them to be raped. God says that David's household will rebel against him and his wives will lay with another (AKA have sex with) before all of Israel. He didn't deliver anyone to be raped.

"" wrote:

Slaves - (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.
    If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.
    But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.
    And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.
    If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.
    If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

Slaves in the New Testament (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.
    Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

This is from Ephesians, one of Paul's letters. Paul addresses a TON of cultural issues in his letters to the Romans, Ephesians, Corinthians, etc. Things like women wearing head coverings, women speaking in church, and slaves. All of these things (including slavery) were ingrained in society at the time these letters were written, and Paul was not concerned with a social revolution.

Paul was concerned with establishing a successful church in these areas. He was concerned with settling squabbles and having social unity so that a Christian church could be founded and maintained in these areas. The verses on slavery in the Bible are in no way an endorsement of slavery, they are merely rules to live by at the time.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here.

What I don't understand is why people can't treat the passages that condemn homosexuality the same way they treat the passages condoning slavery, rape, etc.

At the time, homosexuality was not something that was at all understood, and so gay people were ostracized the same way all kinds of people were orstracized at the time, based on skin colour, social class, religion, etc.

So if it acceptable for people's opinion of rape and sexism to change since the Bible was written, how come our opinions on homosexuality can't change too, now that we have reached a point in civilization where we try not to expel others simply because they are different?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:

=Z=
    Not only do I find this comment offensive, I think the whole attitude surrounding this topic bothers me deeply.

If comments like this were made about any other minority group on these boards, or anywhere in society, there would be an uproar and the person would probably be banned.

In the site rules, it clearly states that there are to be "no racist, derogatory or other comments referring to sexual preference / gender! These are not tolerated in any manner."

So why do we tolerate this? I don't have a problem with people who disagree with my position on religion/gay marriage, etc. We can have a legitamate and respectful debate about the topic and that'll be the end.

But I think that some of the comments in this thread are extremely offensive and I am personally embarrassed to be sharing these boards with these people.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

OKIE DOKE!

Now people are offended and there have been a few open calls/PMs to have this thread locked up.

Well, we had a good run people. I think this thread made 25 pages without anyone getting too offended. Not bad considering the record these threads have had in the past.

I would love to keep debating/talking, but as a mod....duty calls!

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829