BleedinPandG is offline Coach

So, in the playoffs do you...

Ride the horse that brung ya... or insert something new to knock your opponent off balance?

While I'm a fan of football, I don't follow any other teams closely enough to know what they typically do to be able to tell what their philosophy is in the playoffs. Just curious what the collective thought is...

Is it best to:
    1) Gameplan to your strenghths and make your oppoenent beat you (remember the saying, more games are lost than won)
    2) Gameplan to your opponents weaknesses
    3) Create a new gameplan that your opponent isn't expecting and won't be prepared for

Grr, and floop a duck... I have no idea how to create a poll... did we lose that in the change over?
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: So, in the playoffs do you...

What I hope Chilly doesn't do is decide that we go back to being a run first team and run 60% of the time because we are better as a pass first team right now.

And if we have a lead we don't go into a prevent D and lose the game because of it.

And if we can't get a pass rush with the front 4 start blitzing early and often don't wait until the 3rd quarter to make adjustments.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:So, in the playoffs do you...

Just don't try to force the run. We are a passing team, come out passing.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

So whackamole and Mars are both on the play to our strengths band wagon? Pardon me for putting words in your mouth but as you didn't say a thing about our opponent (some would argue if the other team is one of the worst in the league at stopping the run we should concentrate on the run for example), I've assumed that's your selection.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

BleedinPandG wrote:
    So whackamole and Mars are both on the play to our strengths band wagon? Pardon me for putting words in your mouth but as you didn't say a thing about our opponent (some would argue if the other team is one of the worst in the league at stopping the run we should concentrate on the run for example), I've assumed that's your selection.
    It depends on the opponent.

Why come out and pass against a team that has two shutdown CB's? Just like you wouldn't come out and run against a team that had Tommie Harris in the middle and 3 DB's out.

What I think they do?.....

Offense......
    Nothing new and no trick plays.

Put the plays that seemed to work the best for you in your game plan and put a few minor tweaks to how you get in and out of those plays.

Defense......
    Nothing new either with one exception. Figure out how to disguise your blitz packages if you use them.

Focus on shutting down the run and keep the plays in front of you followed by good tackling.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I'll go out on a limb and say that you play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses. Dissect game tape and play with enthusiasm.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet wrote:
    I'll go out on a limb and say that you play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses. Dissect game tape and play with enthusiasm.
    You're such a rebel.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

You ride that horse until its time to take it to the glue factory. Ride it like your mother told you to do it. Like you just stole it.
    We're bringing purple back.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

marstc09 wrote:
    Just don't try to force the run. We are a passing team, come out passing.
    Sigh, I leave for two weeks and people actually believe this crap.

There has not been a single game where we tried to force the run and had it not work. The run opens up our passing game.

Now as far as priorities go:

Law I - Play to your strengths.
    Law II - Play to your opponents weaknesses as long as they don't conflict with the First Law
    Law III - Surprise your opponents as long as it doesn't conflict with the First or Second Law.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

BleedinPandG wrote:

So PeeingPandG (is that somekind of STD?)we don't know which opponent we will face yet so it is kind of hard to say anything about them. DUH!

But Philly, Dallas, Cards, or GB all have good D's this is the playoffs afterall.

But we have to many weapons in our passing game and we should force them to counter us not us them.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.