Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Smart Football - The NFL Offense: What is it? Why does every team use it? And ho

I am frequently asked why I don't more often discuss NFL offenses. Haven't many of these college gurus been chewed up by the NFL? Didn't the NFL "prove" that the run & shoot can't work? Isn't the NFL football's highest level, and doesn't it therefore have the most money and resources, the best people, and shouldn't the result then be that NFL football is the most strategically interesting?

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...oes-every.html

Marrdro's comments follow:

Another damn fine read (thats 3 of them from this site). I'm liking this stuff........ Hope you enjoy. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Smart Football - The NFL Offense: What is it? Why does every team use it? And ho

Good article Marrdro, it really shows what a copy cat league we have, it shows the basic plays, and talks about how coaches try to disguise them with different looks and packages, two TE's, or 3 WR's it is still the same play. Cool, some real football talk, and a much needed break from all the LNAD discusion that's been going around in circle's for so long I want to vomit.

Re: Smart Football - The NFL Offense: What is it? Why does every team use it? And ho

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Good article Marrdro, it really shows what a copy cat league we have, it shows the basic plays, and talks about how coaches try to disguise them with different looks and packages, two TE's, or 3 WR's it is still the same play. [size=10pt]Cool, some real football talk[/size], and a much needed break from all the LNAD discusion that's been going around in circle's for so long I want to vomit.
    And you were the only one to reply.
    Interesting huh.

Cliche's must be more fun.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Good article Marrdro, it really shows what a copy cat league we have, it shows the basic plays, and talks about how coaches try to disguise them with different looks and packages, two TE's, or 3 WR's it is still the same play. [size=10pt]Cool, some real football talk[/size], and a much needed break from all the LNAD discusion that's been going around in circle's for so long I want to vomit.
    Interesting huh.

I read the entire article and found no actual basis for him claiming that 80% of all NFL plays are the same thing.
    Some actual statistical analysis backing that up would have been nice.

That said, it was interesting, especially the bit about the camera angles in the NFL - and how things are shown on NFL films and highlight reels.

Makes me love Edge NFL Matchup even more now.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Interesting huh.

I read the entire article and found no actual basis for him claiming that 80% of all NFL plays are the same thing.
    Some actual statistical analysis backing that up would have been nice.

That said, it was interesting, especially the bit about the camera angles in the NFL - and how things are shown on NFL films and highlight reels.

Makes me love Edge NFL Matchup even more now.

=Z=
    I'd almost kill to watch a game from a full field view/overhead camera angle.

As to his basis, looking closely at his slides, there isn't much that isn't included in them. Without actual game tape (and lots of it for each team) its pretty hard to show that his analysis is that far off.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Great stuff Marrdro, I love articles like this.

"Mr" wrote:
    Great stuff Marrdro, I love articles like this.
    Thanks my friend.
    I have a book (up in the attic) that lays out how coaches gameplan from week to week after they get all the stuff in in training camp.

Can't remember the name, but I when I dig it out I will pass to you.
    Will be interesting to see how many of the plays at the bottom are in that book.