Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Smart Football

Bill Walsh - A Method For Game Planning

This is a transcript of a lecture given by Walsh during the mid-80s. Hat tip: Gunrun.

Planning for a football game today is somewhat different than the original concept of the game in which the quarterback was the field general and saw weaknesses during the game and called his plays accordingly. Obviously the game is much more complex today. I was fortunate to be involved with some of the great football coaches and programs. I have been afforded the experience that allowed us to conceive an offense, a defense, and a system of football that is basically a matter of rehearsing what we do prior to the game.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...-planning.html

Marrdro's comments follow:
    Most that have been on here since I joined know my feelings about the late great Coach Walsh.
    This is a prime example of why I think so highly of him.
    Hope
    you enjoy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Smart Football

Great insite on how to prepare for a game. By scripting plays you see what the opponent is doing against your formations. A couple running plays from the base set to see if any physical mismatches exist, and using set up plays to set up play action later in a contest. Most importantly, and the Chiller could take something from this, Walsh always thought ahead and planned for and practiced certain scenario's on Thursday, so he wouldn't get caught up in a game were the emotions are high and mistake's from a unthought out call could really cost you.

Great read Marrdro.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Fun read.

I will tell you this, I think we can do a better job with halftime adjustments on Thursday than we can at halftime the day of the game. It's that simple.
    I like this snippet, because many hold on to the fallacy that some miraculous half-time adjustments are made while the women are shaking their booties on the field.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Prophet" wrote:
    Fun read.

I will tell you this, I think we can do a better job with halftime adjustments on Thursday than we can at halftime the day of the game. It's that simple.
    I like this snippet, because many hold on to the fallacy that some miraculous half-time adjustments are made while the women are shaking their booties on the field.
    I guess that's why Chilly doesn't make half-time adjustments at all.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Fun read.

I guess that's why Chilly doesn't make half-time adjustments at all.
    He usually is unloading his chalupas at halftime and doesn't have time allotted for insightful speeches.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain