Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Six NFL teams unlikely to make playoff returns in '08

"scorptile" wrote:
    they are missing one instead of the giants id say the pats wont make it. they lost a few big names on D. and their starters on D are getting too old and slow to really matter. i expect with the new rules of going through and making sure people dont chheat and chaging from hand signals to radio on D they will be lucky to hit 8-8. the two teams playin for that division in 08 will be the bills and jets. miami will make a run with all the new players they got.
    The Dolphins are going to make a run, but the Patriots are going to miss the playoffs?
    Uh-huh, would this be a good time to talk about the colts going undefeated?
    :

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    "scorptile" wrote:
    they are missing one instead of the giants id say the pats wont make it. they lost a few big names on D. and their starters on D are getting too old and slow to really matter. i expect with the new rules of going through and making sure people dont chheat and chaging from hand signals to radio on D they will be lucky to hit 8-8. the two teams playin for that division in 08 will be the bills and jets. miami will make a run with all the new players they got.
    The Dolphins are going to make a run, but the Patriots are going to miss the playoffs?
    :
    Impossible. They are playing the Vikings and we are going to kick their asses.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "scorptile" wrote:

:
    IF, and that might be a big IF, Harrison and Freeney come back AND the Colts can avoid injury like the Pats did last year, there might be a pretty decent chance that could actually happen.
    Remember, all of the Colts' losses last season weren't by much.
    There IS a reason that most pundits are calling them one of the two top teams for next season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Wow riveting stuff.
    I've read guys from PP.O that have much better stuff than this.
    I mean what other methods does the man use to create stories, throw darts at a dartboard?
    Obviously if he just throws out 6 borderline teams he's bound to hit a couple.
    Uhg, sports writers.
    Florio is a self-important blowhard...which is why I rarely even go to his lame cut-and-paste site anymore.
    Besides, he's a Putzie fan...of course, he is gonna dis the Giants.
    I challenge him to spot a GLARING weakness on the Giants team...there pretty much isn't one.
    I actually like the premise for this article because he's right about something most writers don't recognize - there's a large turnover in the playoffs every year.
    Most articles you read now will be predicting 10 or 11 of the same teams to make it back, with maybe with the Vikings taking the Redskin's spot.

But over the past 5 years there have been 6 (2007-08), 7 (2006-07), 7 (2005-06), 5 (2004-05), and 8 (2003-04) new teams in the playoffs.
    I don't think the article is really trying to say there will be exactly six new teams and these teams will be gone, but trying to point out the reality of parody in the NFL means the playoff landscape changes dramatically.
    Of course, he points out six teams to try and make it interesting.

As for the Giants, I see three areas of concern off the top of my head.
    First, Michael Strahan may be gone.
    Their defensive line is still good without him, but they'd lose quality and depth if he goes.
    Second, their receiving corp. is getting old.
    In particular, Plaxico always seems to be fighting some minor injury.
    He's the most talented player on that offense and they can't afford to have him miss significant time.
    Third, and most importantly, Eli Manning is not a great QB.
    Obviously he can play well at times, but he also makes a lot of mistakes and isn't particularly accurate.
    They obviously did just fine last year, but I can see them dropping out of the playoffs if, for example, the Eagles (and McNabb) play well this year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12