Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

SI's Don Banks - Latest Mock Draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/08/mock.draft3.part1/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Here's the first round - the rest can be found in the article:

Mock Draft No. 3
    Combine, pro days cause major shakeup in first round
    Posted: Friday March 9, 2007 11:59AM; Updated: Friday March 9, 2007 12:48PM

With the NFL Scouting Combine in the books, and the opening week of free agency addressing so many team needs around the league, it's the perfect time to re-analyze the first round of the draft:

Mock NFL Draft No. 3
    Pick Team Pos. Player College Class Ht. Wt.
    QB JaMarcus Russell LSU Jr. 6-6 260
    The only thing that makes you nervous about keeping Russell to the Raiders as your first pick is that it has become the dreaded foregone conclusion, which means there's just a 50-50 shot it will happen. Still, Russell's ability to chuck it 80 yards-plus seems to fit the Al Davis mentality better than Brady Quinn's skills.

QB Brady Quinn Notre Dame Sr. 6-4 228
    My gut tells me the Lions want to deal downward and avoid this decision, but picking up Tatum Bell and George Foster makes no real sense to me if Adrian Peterson or Joe Thomas are your first-round objectives. If Quinn's stock ever was really dropping in the first place, his strong pro day workout Sunday should help it rebound.

OT Joe Thomas Wisconsin Sr. 6-8 315
    The Browns just signed Jamal Lewis to a one-year deal in free agency and they still have Reuben Droughns. Does that spell Adrian Peterson to you? Me either. Cleveland general manager is first and foremost a talent scout, and he knows pairing Thomas with the newly acquired Eric Steinbach makes the OL a ton better.

WR Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech Jr. 6-5 235
    I could see a scenario where a team hungry for Johnson -- considered this draft's premier prospect -- trades up with No. 2 Detroit to get ahead of the Bucs. Personally I'm rooting for the Lions to take another first-round receiver in Johnson and QB crazy Jon Gruden to add Quinn to his four-man passing depth chart.

DE Gaines Adams Clemson Sr. 6-5 260
    This much we know: taking a quarterback or a receiver is out in Arizona. If Thomas somehow tumbles, the Cardinals would be thrilled with their replacement for Leonard Davis. Adams is considered the best defensive prospect, but trading down a couple notches to take defensive stars Alan Branch or Jammal Anderson would work, too.

DT Alan Branch Michigan Jr. 6-6 330
    The Redskins have the proverbial nice problem here. They can help their run defense with the athletic 325-pounder Branch, or take Jammal Anderson, who would provide a much-needed pass-rush threat off the edge.

DE Jamaal Anderson Arkansas Jr. 6-6 280
    The Vikings are desperate for a play-making receiver, but there are none who fit the value of this pick after Johnson is gone. Minnesota has a great run defense with Pat and Kevin Williams inside, but its lousy pass coverage in 2006 was due in large part to generating no edge pass rush. Anderson will help solve that.

RB Adrian Peterson Oklahoma Jr. 6-2 220
    Yes, the Texans signed Ahman Green in free agency, but the ex-Packer is 30 and on the downside of his career. Do you really think the luckless Texans could pass on the draft's best running back two years running and further risk the scorn of their angry fan base? Besides, the two-back approach is the way to go these days.

OT Levi Brown Penn State Sr. 6-5 328
    The Dolphins are in great shape to either replace departed left tackle Damion McIntosh, who signed with Kansas City, or get help for their defensive interior, by drafting 19-year-old Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. We'll give them Brown, who should be in position to contribute sooner.

S LaRon Landry LSU Sr. 6-2 202
    Running a 40-yard dash of 4.4 at the combine legitimately put Landry in the top-10 discussion. The Falcons are in luck here, because their safeties -- Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker -- gave up a lot of real estate last season. Landry covers a lot of ground and should be a starter from day one of training camp.
    I don't know enough about this guy to know if it's a good call or not.
    I'm just thinking that offense probably needs to be addressed prior to defense.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: SI's Don Banks - Latest Mock Draft

If the first 6 picks play out the way he predicts, I would be pissed if we take Jamaal over Adrian.

Adrian and Chester would be an awesome tandem that would take a ton of pressure off of TJ.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    If the first 6 picks play out the way he predicts, I would be pissed if we take Jamaal over Adrian.
    Adrian and Chester would be an awesome tandem that would take a ton of pressure off of TJ.
    ME TOO!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Interesting draft since Peterson is still there till 8.
    Is Childress a running back by committee guy? Doesn't seem like it.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I agree with Z, we can't draft for D.
    Our offense is embarassing.
    Trade up for CJ or else draft RB or OL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chester share the load, but Mewelde Moore is more than capable of helping out along with Pinner (if he stays) who looked solid, so I wouldn't want to waste a 1st rounder on a back.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Regardless of the need for speed on the edge...I simply cannot see them passing up on Yo Adrian Peterson if he drops.
    In fact, I would think Chilly is drooling over the possibility of having Chester Taylor and Yo Adrian Peterson.
    Sorry Mewelde, but I think they would be crazy to pass him up at #7.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    I wouldn't mind seeing Chester share the load, but Mewelde Moore is more than capable of helping out along with Pinner (if he stays) who looked solid, so I wouldn't want to waste a 1st rounder on a back.
    Yeah, but an Adrian Peterson doesn't come along that many times...you gotta strike while the iron is hot!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

God, I pray Childress knows what he's doing.
    :-

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I'm not super happy with who he has us taking either.
    I'd much rathr have Landry than Jamaal Anderson just because I don't Jamaal will fit our system.
    He is kind of in the Udeze mold and would have to lose 5-10lbs.
    We can wait if Gaines Adams isn't there.

I was originally really against even considering Peterson, but he is so good and I don't any WR short of CJ will help out our offense as much as he would.
    If he is there and we pass on him, however, I won't be upset because he has injury concerns and we don't need a running back.

When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast