Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Simeon Rice on the IR; Might be available

Rice goes on IR, will miss rest of '06 seasonBy Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Defensive end Simeon Rice, one of the NFL's most dominant pass rushers over the past decade, was placed on injured reserve by Tampa Bay on Wednesday, prematurely ending his 2006 season and possibly his six-year tenure with the Bucs.

Rice, 32, missed the past two games with a left shoulder injury. The 11-year veteran had missed just two games total, neither because of injury, in his previous 10 NFL seasons.

The exact nature of the injury, suffered on Oct. 8 at New Orleans, has never been divulged. In recent days, though, both Rice and coach Jon Gruden strongly suggested the three-time Pro Bowl performer might need surgery to correct it. While it has not been confirmed Rice will undergo surgery, the move to place him on injured reserve certainly indicates that is a strong possibility.

Two weeks ago, when he was attempting to play through the pain, Rice acknowledged he was struggling and said he was being forced to "play like a one-armed bandit."

Fourth-year veteran Dewayne White, who has played well the past two weeks and had an especially strong outing in last Sunday's victory over Washington, will replace Rice in the lineup.

There were whispers this spring that Rice's time in Tampa Bay might be growing short, even suggestions the Bucs would entertain trading him, and he was the subject of trade speculation right before the league's trade deadline last month. The shoulder injury, which could mean a long rehabilitation, and the fact Rice will be 33 in February will add to the speculation about his future with the franchise.

Rice has one season remaining on his contract, at a base salary of $7.25 million for 2007, and an exorbitant salary cap charge.

A superb pass-rusher, Rice will finish this season with a career-low two sacks. He also had 21 tackles, four forced fumbles and one pass defensed.

The former Illinois star, a first-round draft choice of the Arizona Cardinals in 1996, Rice has 121 career sacks. He has posted eight seasons of double-digit sacks, with a career high of 16½ in 1999, and entered 2006 with five straight seasons of 10 or more sacks.

The colorful and eminently quotable Rice, who this summer told ESPN.com that he was "the bar" by which all pass-rushers should be measured, was often criticized early in his career for being a one-dimensional defender, a guy who ignored the run and only wanted to collect sacks. But when he left Arizona and signed with Tampa Bay as an unrestricted free agent in 2001, he improved his play against the run, even if most of his critics never gave him ample credit for doing so.

In 160 games, Rice has 584 tackles, 37 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries and five interceptions.

If he became available, I think we'd have a shot thanks to Tomlin.
    I'd really like to get him in Minnesota.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Re: Simeon Rice on the IR; Might be available

I don't think it would be a good idea. We have James coming back, the Williams duo has been dominant, and we have Pat for veteran leadership. We don't really know about his shoulder and probably won't know because the Bucs would want higher trade value. Too much money for something so iffy.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I wouldn't consider DE a great area of need. Sure, we could use a stud, but with Erasmus, Udeze, Ray Edwards, D Scott. I just would choose to focus on other areas. Such as linebacker, offensive line, and receiver.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I'm starting to think Vikings fans are too comfortable with Udeze.
    The guy doesn't even have a sack this season and just last year, Rice had 15.
    He's definately not worth it.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"happy" wrote:
    I wouldn't consider DE a great area of need. Sure, we could use a stud, but with Erasmus, Udeze, Ray Edwards, D Scott. I just would choose to focus on other areas. Such as linebacker, offensive line, and receiver.
    Agreed it doesnt make much sense for us to overpay to get him, when we will need to overpay to address area's of need.

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    Im not an udeze fan at all, just don't think hes worth it unless hecomes very cheap at his age.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BrooksBollingerForQB" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    Im not an udeze fan at all, just don't think hes worth it unless hecomes very cheap at his age.
    , yeah, nothing like a 23 yr old trying to act young.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

"Acumen" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    I think he's referring to Rice's age when he says "cheap at his age", not Udeze's.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"JDogg926" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    I think he's referring to Rice's age when he says "cheap at his age", not Udeze's.
    I think you're right.
    I try not to lose any opportunity to be an ass.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

DE is a huge need.
    The lack of QB pressure makes our secondary even worse.
    Eramus was the only DE on the team that showed the ability to get to the QB.
    Scott and Udeze are not starter material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast