Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Silverdome sells for ... less than a house

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/17/news...uyer/index.htm

[size=12pt]Silverdome sells for ... less than a house[/size]
    Unidentified Toronto-based real estate company buys Pontiac stadium for $583,000 - a fraction of the $55.7 million it cost to build.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- An unidentified Canadian real estate company was the winning bidder for the Silverdome, snatching it up for a mere fraction of its original value.

A Toronto-based family-owned company bid $583,000 for the under-used stadium on Monday, which is currently owned by the City of Pontiac, Mich., according to auctioneer Williams & Williams.

The company plans to refurbish the Silverdome into a stadium for men's Major League Soccer and women's professional soccer teams, said the auctioneer. While the stadium was the former home of the National Foodball League's Detroit Lions, it also played host to the World Cup in 1994, when Brazil beat Italy in a knuckle-biter that ended in a penalty shootout.

The auctioneer Williams & Williams, based in Tulsa, Okla., said it will not identify the buyer "until the final details are worked out and the sale closes."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Silverdome sells for ... less than a house

must be one hell of a house its being compared to.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

That's nothing, the owners of the Metrodome can't rent it out for free.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    lol,
    ;D Not exactly free though ...they let the Vikings play there but still take the concessions and other revenue.
    Until the playoffs...than the Vikings get their piece.
    It's a slap in the face, but like you I can see both sides stance.
    It's mostly lose/lose.

The MSFC has their own balls in a vice.
    They own a completely worthless piece of structure (see Silverdome, lol) and are grasping at straws to keep the Vikings playing there.
    Once the Vikings leave it's game over.
    Unless of course you can convince the mighty Minnesota MLS team to start paying rent.
    LMFAO.
    I here we also have a LaCrosse team...although It think they are much happy in the beautiful Xcel Energy venue.
    Think the city of St. Paul and the state of Minnesota regret funding 130 million for that?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    lol,
    ;D Not exactly free though ...they let the Vikings play there but still take the concessions and other revenue.
    It's mostly lose/lose.

They own a completely worthless piece of structure (see Silverdome, lol) and are grasping at straws to keep the Vikings playing there.
    Unless of course you can convince the mighty Minnesota MLS team to start paying rent.
    LMFAO.
    I here we also have a LaCrosse team...although It think they are much happy in the beautiful Xcel Energy venue.
    Think the city of St. Paul and the state of Minnesota regret funding 130 million for that?
    Good point, but on the flip side is the Gopher stadium which was half full on saturday. Each situation is different. Also the Excel was built in good times, no way anything will get done in this enviroment. Our taxes are going to go up and services down as is.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    lol,
    It's mostly lose/lose.

LMFAO.
    Good point, but on the flip side is the Gopher stadium which was half full on saturday. Each situation is different. Also the Excel was built in good times, no way anything will get done in this enviroment. Our taxes are going to go up and services down as is.
    I agree each situation is different.

With that said I think the Vikings are just as deserving for a new stadium as the Wild and Twins.

Why the Gophers got a new stadium is beyond me.
    They have a history of failure, and a small fan base.
    They also play 2 less games, have no roof and the stadium is mostly useless outside of 5 games a year.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    lol,
    It's mostly lose/lose.

LMFAO.

With that said I think the Vikings are just as deserving for a new stadium as the Wild and Twins.

They also play 2 less games, have no roof and the stadium is mostly useless outside of 5 games a year.

Endowment.

Just a guess.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    lol,
    It's mostly lose/lose.

LMFAO.

Endowment.

Just a guess.
    The state doesn't care what the people want (even though it's the people's taxes)...they'd rather beef up their own interests (state university)...just my opinion, granted your answer was much better.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=54254.msg1018599#msg1018599 date=1258577495]
    lol,
    It's mostly lose/lose.

LMFAO.

Endowment.

Just a guess.
    The state doesn't care what the people want (even though it's the people's taxes)...they'd rather beef up their own interests (state university)...just my opinion, granted your answer was much better.
    [/quote]

Are you certain that the majority of citizens want a publicly funded stadium? Are you confident that it could pass a referendum?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=54254.msg1018606#msg1018606 date=1258577895]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=54254.msg1018599#msg1018599 date=1258577495]
    lol,
    It's mostly lose/lose.

LMFAO.

Endowment.

Just a guess.
    [/quote]

Are you certain that the majority of citizens want a publicly funded stadium? Are you confident that it could pass a referendum?
    [/quote]

Im confident the residents of the state are cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast