Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

Lovie said it best. "I would like for a day when we don't talk about it.. but it is not that day right now" (Loosely quoted).

Of course the NFL will feed off of it and try to make it into a storyline.. but the fact is.. it IS a relevant storyline. Just like the Saints. Did the NFL blow it up? Yeah. But at the same time, was it relevant? Yes.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Del Rio Guest

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I think it is significant in the realm of sports for certain circumstances. More so in the past then now IMO but still relevant.

It is about breaking barriers.

Not so long ago it was believed african americans could not play QB. So when the first black QB had success it broke that myth that barrier.

Even more recent was the lack of african american coaches, so to be the first would put some doubts to rest for some.
    I am quoting Del's entire message in the hope that people will re-read what he wrote because that's EXACTLY on the mark.

It's easy for the white people to dismiss this because they don't face racism (however subtle it might be) every day of their lives.

=Z=
    Good point, I see it all the time living in a place where role models for african americans are sought after for inspiring young kids to get a college degree when nobody in their family values it or encourages them.
    You can ignore the past, but people that have lived through the crap can't forget so easily.

That being said, the media are hypocrites.
    They bring up racism and then the next story brings race into the picture when it is irrelevant to the story.
    We've made great strides as a country, but there is a long way to go.
    Sadly, I see a big step forward happening when some of the older generations die off and hopefully quit instilling their twisted views on the youth.
    I agree.

I also think organizations like NAACP and even TV channels like BET do more harm then good, but if your race was held down in something, if you were told you werent smart enough of a race to be a QB or to be a coach, if they said you would never be a lawyer, a scientist, invent the peanut..........then yes when someone prooves them wrong it is for the moment a big deal.

If we ever get an african american president do you think that will be a big deal? A woman president? Hell successful buisiness women are still being looked at as heros.

*Edit* I was not asking you specifically prophet I only quoted you because I agree, the rest is my rant.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I think it is significant in the realm of sports for certain circumstances. More so in the past then now IMO but still relevant.

Not so long ago it was believed african americans could not play QB. So when the first black QB had success it broke that myth that barrier.

Even more recent was the lack of african american coaches, so to be the first would put some doubts to rest for some.
    I am quoting Del's entire message in the hope that people will re-read what he wrote because that's EXACTLY on the mark.

It's easy for the white people to dismiss this because they don't face racism (however subtle it might be) every day of their lives.

=Z=
    Everybody faces SOMETHING, Z...the point is that MOST, if not ALL, of all of the decisionmakers already realize that merit is the ONLY true measure of success.
    Otherwise, they wouldn't successful themselves.
    My whole point in this is that WINNERS don't care about anything but what it takes to WIN...to do otherwise only means that you cheat yourself of the best options to WIN.
    I almost feel sorry for those who limit themselves because of deep-rooted prejudices...they cheat themselves more than anything...but then again, I don't feel sorry when it comes down to it...those who let their prejudices control their decisions dig their own graves in life.

To clarify the prejudice issue...EVERYONE is prejudiced in some way...and that is a natural human defense mechanism.
    BUT IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH THE PREJUDICE THAT DETERMINES WHO YOU REALLY ARE!
    If you give someone a chance to show who they REALLY are despite their differences from you, you will be a better person for that and the world will be a better place.
    If you let your prejudices cloud your reasoning abilities, however, you deserve to fail...and the world should hold you accountable for your short-sightedness.
    That is how I see it anyway...who we are is determined by how we react to the world...if we are driven by love for our fellow man instead of hate, we will be successful in the long run. My $20.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

if they said you would never be a lawyer, a scientist, invent the peanut...- dunno if you meant to del, but I cracked up so hard when I read this!
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    Everybody faces SOMETHING, Z...the point is that MOST, if not ALL, of all of the decisionmakers already realize that merit is the ONLY true measure of success.
    Dude - it's not the decision-makers who need to be convinced, for the most part.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    My whole point in this is that WINNERS don't care about anything but what it takes to WIN...to do otherwise only means that you cheat yourself of the best options to WIN.
    I almost feel sorry for those who limit themselves because of deep-rooted prejudices...they cheat themselves more than anything...but then again, I don't feel sorry when it comes down to it...those who let their prejudices control their decisions dig their own graves in life.

To clarify the prejudice issue...EVERYONE is prejudiced in some way...and that is a natural human defense mechanism.
    BUT IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH THE PREJUDICE THAT DETERMINES WHO YOU REALLY ARE!
    If you give someone a chance to show who they REALLY are despite their differences from you, you will be a better person for that and the world will be a better place.
    If you let your prejudices cloud your reasoning abilities, however, you deserve to fail...and the world should hold you accountable for your short-sightedness.
    That is how I see it anyway...who we are is determined by how we react to the world...if we are driven by love for our fellow man instead of hate, we will be successful in the long run. My $20.
    The bottom-line is there are, unfortunately, many people that don't think this way.
    They need role-models to bring them out of their self-inflicted mire.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

davike is offline Team Alumni

the only difference i see between african americans and white people are skin color, so therefore see no big deal whatsoever. now if an alian or something came and coached and won the superbowl that would be a big deal ;D

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    Good point, I see it all the time living in a place where role models for african americans are sought after for inspiring young kids to get a college degree when nobody in their family values it or encourages them.
    You can ignore the past, but people that have lived through the crap can't forget so easily.

That being said, the media are hypocrites.
    They bring up racism and then the next story brings race into the picture when it is irrelevant to the story.
    We've made great strides as a country, but there is a long way to go.
    Sadly, I see a big step forward happening when some of the older generations die off and hopefully quit instilling their twisted views on the youth.
    I agree.

I also think organizations like NAACP and even TV channels like BET do more harm then good, but if your race was held down in something, if you were told you werent smart enough of a race to be a QB or to be a coach, if they said you would never be a lawyer, a scientist, invent the peanut..........then yes when someone prooves them wrong it is for the moment a big deal.

If we ever get an african american president do you think that will be a big deal? A woman president? Hell successful buisiness women are still being looked at as heros.

*Edit* I was not asking you specifically prophet I only quoted you because I agree, the rest is my rant.
    Rant?
    Sounds pretty rational and well-thought out to me...well except the "inventing the peanut" comment...that was God (not determined yet if he is African-American or not). LOL

I agree that we are moving forward...but those in the know already knew that it was only a matter of time.
    Heck, if the jerkwad Glazers hadn't cut Dungy off at the knees, this would have already happened!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

You know what would be cool?-A midget coach. Can you imagine that little dude chewing out refs for bad calls and then chewing out players 4ft taller and about 200lbs heavier than he was? Now that would be progress people. Hell, make him a black midget.lol
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    You know what would be cool?-A midget coach. Can you imagine that little dude chewing out refs for bad calls and then chewing out players 4ft taller and about 200lbs heavier than he was? Now that would be progress people. Hell, make him a black midget.lol
    I have to admit, I would like to see that.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast