Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

Agree'd 100% Freya. Let's base it on ability, accomplishment, and merit. I think they're making a bigger deal of this than it really is.

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

Lovie said something like that. They asked him about it and all he said back was it only should be news when this isn't news. Pretty well summed up.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion

To me no, and frankly im tired of hearing about it.

Its a nice story but come on lets beat this horse to death a little bit more.
    Lets focus on the the coaches as individuals not representitaves of their race. Lets focus on the Bears vs Colts not on this. In a sport where 70% of the people involved are African American this just doesnt seem that big of a deal (to me) more likely its about time a black head coach take the big step.
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

Del Rio Guest

Well if African Americans were not purposely kept out of coaching positions and QB positions for decades then it wouldn't be an issue, but the fact of the matter is they were.

So when does it end? It ends after the first. Next year if an african american coach makes the superbowl I bet you will not hear as much about it if anything at all.

Just like news on first black athlete to break the rushing record, first black athlete to hit a homerun........

Does the news say today Barry Bonds becomes the 124,000,000th african american to hit a homerun? No it doesn't. Because that barrier has been broken.

The exact same thing is done for women.

MVIKING7 is offline Pro-Bowler

Speaking from this white guy's point of veiw, way too much emphasis is put on color these days. Mention it, then let it go.Enough is enough already. Yes it 's great these two "humans" are in the Superbowl. Let's not keep beating a dead horse. Just my opinion.....not trying to be "racist" although some may veiw it that way. Oh well.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I think it is significant in the realm of sports for certain circumstances. More so in the past then now IMO but still relevant.

It is about breaking barriers.

Not so long ago it was believed african americans could not play QB. So when the first black QB had success it broke that myth that barrier.

Even more recent was the lack of african american coaches, so to be the first would put some doubts to rest for some.
    I am quoting Del's entire message in the hope that people will re-read what he wrote because that's EXACTLY on the mark.

It's easy for the white people to dismiss this because they don't face racism (however subtle it might be) every day of their lives.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

"Freya" wrote:
    Making it into a political statement is BS, imo.

They are both good, deserving coaches and what color their skin is should be irrelevant.

If I was in their shoes I would resent the focus on that and not on my abilities or accomplishments as a coach in the NFL.

I agree wholeheartedly...the media should realize this and move on.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    Making it into a political statement is BS, imo.

They are both good, deserving coaches and what color their skin is should be irrelevant.

If I was in their shoes I would resent the focus on that and not on my abilities or accomplishments as a coach in the NFL.

I agree wholeheartedly...the media should realize this and move on.
    It's not a political statement to point out the significance of the event.
    It IS a big deal, in a league where institutional racism in the coaching ranks was rampant until 5 years ago, it is a HUGE deal.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Who cares what color they are?
    One of them is gonna win the superbowl, and they both managed a great accomplishment in getting there, regardless of color.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I think it is significant in the realm of sports for certain circumstances. More so in the past then now IMO but still relevant.

It is about breaking barriers.

Not so long ago it was believed african americans could not play QB. So when the first black QB had success it broke that myth that barrier.

Even more recent was the lack of african american coaches, so to be the first would put some doubts to rest for some.
    I am quoting Del's entire message in the hope that people will re-read what he wrote because that's EXACTLY on the mark.

It's easy for the white people to dismiss this because they don't face racism (however subtle it might be) every day of their lives.

=Z=
    Good point, I see it all the time living in a place where role models for african americans are sought after for inspiring young kids to get a college degree when nobody in their family values it or encourages them.
    You can ignore the past, but people that have lived through the crap can't forget so easily.

That being said, the media are hypocrites.
    They bring up racism and then the next story brings race into the picture when it is irrelevant to the story.
    We've made great strides as a country, but there is a long way to go.
    Sadly, I see a big step forward happening when some of the older generations die off and hopefully quit instilling their twisted views on the youth.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast