Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 206
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    Yeah, if the winner gets a bonus contract to be the next president.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

  2. #102
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    "The only people this really matters to are those who still do not perceive black people as equals and those who are black and still feel that they are looked down upon. For those of us who are guided by equality both in thought and action, this is no big deal."

    Which equals a large ammount of people. Entire organizations of black people have made it a point to celebrate achivements such as this. I have to agree with you about people being guided by equality, but I do have to ask this......

    If you are guided by equality and you feel deeply enough in your soul that it doesn't matter, then why cry about the emphasis being placed on this for the people who do care about this, black and white alike?

    I never understood that stance, much like religion. If you are atheist and you do not believe in god, why go out of your way to remove god from the world where some people do enjoy the thought.

    Great so equality is real and there is no need for this for you......but for the thousands of others who enjoy the breaking of boundries and the achievements finally made by their race who cares if they emphasize it. Do you think by NOT emphasizing it they will magically decide hey you know what they didn't emphasize that so it must not be important?

    Common sense would tell you an african american coach can win a superbowl. History tells us NOPE. By winning the superbowl history is being written. If you know something is true and it never happens guess what you can't proove it to be true.

    At the end of the day you have no right to tell someone what they should value. If someone chooses to take pride in this event for the history it is making that is their god given right. Throwing out terms like racism, prejudice, and bigotry is just fallacy. If George is sitting at home thinking you know what this is pretty awesome that Dungy is the first black man to win the superbowl, he is not being a biggot, he is not being racist, those are just terms being abused to justify the abolishment of someones CHOICE IN WHAT THEY VALUE!


  3. #103
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    Solid point, but Dungy is a robot so the whole argument is moot.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #104
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    "Prophet" wrote:
    Solid point, but Dungy is a robot so the whole argument is moot.
    He's the first BLACK robot to make it!

    Tom Landry was the first robot.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #105
    vegasvike's Avatar
    vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    "FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    Have to agree with Caine in part-the religion point didn't make much sense as del said because no religion has been discriminated to my knowledge in the NFL. But racism is a huge deal because everyone makes it a huge deal. People need to realize everyone is a racist and there's nothing you can do about that. You can't change people's initial reactions that have been formed their whole life. What you can do is realize that racism is everywhere and work around it-don't accept it but deal with it.
    REALLY? Ok I am a law abiding black man who only wants live without grief I dont need. Do I associate with the crips or bloods because they are in most part black or do I associate with the group of people who share my perspectives even though they are a mixed race? Your point is sayin that I would hang out with the hoodlums because they are mostly only blacks. Now the second group has blacks, whites, hispanics, or whatever and because there are other races there. Do you think crime does not affect me because I am black? Not everyone is racist, some of us judge people by their charactor
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z


    I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

  6. #106
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    "FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    ...People need to realize everyone is a racist and there's nothing you can do about that. ...
    Bullshit.
    Everyone has some prejudice, but not everyone is racist.
    I never have and never will think that one race is superior to another.
    Think.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #107
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    A good coach is a good coach. If an owner doesn't want a top caliber coach because he is a minority, then let him sign a caucasian bugaboo and suffer the consequences for it. It really is not a big deal, because coaches will not sign purely based on race. Racism only applies where it is the only difference between two people.

    I appreciate the severalattempts made in the US to give minorities opportunites to succeed, but that is the biggest acheivement, not the actual success, because we could also point out coaches like Denny Green, who was the "first black coach to flip his lid in front of the media." Making this a big deal like the media has done is plain stupid.

    I doubt the thought barely crosses Smith's and Dungy's mind as they prepare for this game. They don't want to win so that they can become the black coach to do so, they want to win for the same reason white coaches did, because that is the ultimate goal.

    I guess my point is that Black people have been proving people wrong for a long time now. It is to the point where if you think the black people are inferior, you yourself are a bigot. It is also to the point where black people themselves are able to live without their race completely defining who we are. As Viking fans, we know so much more about Dungy than just his race, so why focus on just the fact that he is black?

    The only people this really matters to are those who still do not perceive black people as equals and those who are black and still feel that they are looked down upon. For those of us who are guided by equality both in thought and action, this is no big deal.

    Furthermore, is a black coach winning the superbowl going to change the perception of a racial bigot? Is it going to give a minority who has been oppressed hope that things are and will change for the better? Those a the real questions we should ask ourselves. Let us look forward, not back into the past.

    Will this honestly make for a better and more equal future?

    My point exactly...if someone is too stupid not to get the best person for the job, then they deserve the mediocrity that they will end up with.

    On another note, how's Big D treating you, V-Unit?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  8. #108
    vikes2456's Avatar
    vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

    I honestly could not care what color the Super Bowl-winning coach will be, as long as he is not the coach of the Packers

  9. #109
    PurpleGator's Avatar
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

    It doesn't matter to me.
    They are both coaches.
    Skin color or where they come from doesn't matter.


    Look at Lombardi.
    He was the first Italian American coach.
    Does anybody really care?
    No... All that matters is he one Super Bowls(Sorry to bring up Lombardi, was just an example).


  10. #110
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    It doesn't matter to me.
    They are both coaches.
    Skin color or where they come from doesn't matter.


    Look at Lombardi.
    He was the first Italian American coach.
    Does anybody really care?
    No... All that matters is he one Super Bowls(Sorry to bring up Lombardi, was just an example).

    And Holmgren was the first Walrus-American!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LXXX years of Super Bowl history - Vikings to win Super Bowl XLVI?
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 02:30 PM
  3. US Presidents/Super Bowl-winning QBs Trivia
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
  5. The American Bowl
    By LuckyVike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 03:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •