Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

Yes...and no.

Yes, because no matter what, a good coach is a good coach.

No, because a good coach is a good coach, no matter what.

Know what I mean?

That being said, I hope it's Dungy that is hoisting the trophy...not only because he isn't the Bores' coach...but also because the Glazer family screwed him out of the trophy in Tampa, instead handing it to Chucky!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

yeah its cool that its history, but i just look at it as a good coach is a good coach, black white green blue orange doesnt matter

Thanks josdin00

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

I got so tired of hearing them say that on tv. I mean, yeah it's great and everything, but when they started talking about it 50x a min, I wished that neither of the coaches were black so I wouldn't have to hear it over and over and over and over again. Agreed that Dungy should win because he got screwed before in Tampa. And uhh.......yeah screw the bears!
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Del Rio Guest

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American?

Significant to certain people and certain organizations - yes

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

True Cajun!

Ditka was saying something similar yesterday on ESPNews.

He basically said I am not going to get roped into answering a question like this when they are good "guys" and good "coaches;" the rest is not as important as those two facts.

Del Rio Guest

I think it is significant in the realm of sports for certain circumstances. More so in the past then now IMO but still relevant.

It is about breaking barriers.

Not so long ago it was believed african americans could not play QB. So when the first black QB had success it broke that myth that barrier.

Even more recent was the lack of african american coaches, so to be the first would put some doubts to rest for some.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Is it significant that the Super Bowl-winning coach will be African-American

Significant in the short term - yes.
    It represents a pinnacle that minority coaches have not reached before.

Significant in the long term - no.
    I think that the notion that the color of your skin has anything to do with your ability to coach has been pretty much debunked in the NFL.

For quite a while, there were no minority coaches in the NFL.
    This led to the creation of the Rooney Rule, which I personally disagree with because it creates distrust on the part of the applicant as to why they were being brought in for an interview.
    In 2003 no minority coaches accepted interviews with the Detroit Lions because they knew that Mariucci already pretty much had the job.
    Nobody wants to be the token black guy...

But in the end, the Rooney Rule and other programs have more or less achieved their desired effect.
    The number of minority coaches is growing into a more representative figure.
    Minority players face a more accessible future in coaching.
    The fact that we will have the first black coach to ever win a superbowl is simple the fruit of the labor from a decade and a half ago.
    Let the advocates of the Rooney Rule enjoy their moment in the sun.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Significant to certain people and certain organizations - yes
    I agree...just as long as we don't skew towards trying to fill some sort of "quota"...then we might end up with the same problem in reverse!

I am also hoping to see coaches like Ron Rivera and Norm Chow get their shots...since other minorities deserve their shot to lead teams in the NFL as well.
    Maybe even a woman too (now THAT would be an interesting locker room scene...LOL).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

A woman coach would be something else. I just wouldn't want her on the Vikes, sorry in advance.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Making it into a political statement is BS, imo.

They are both good, deserving coaches and what color their skin is should be irrelevant.

If I was in their shoes I would resent the focus on that and not on my abilities or accomplishments as a coach in the NFL.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast